Is my Linkstation now a Brick?

  • troyaw2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2005
      Ok after trying to get netatalk to work I think I have really messed
      up my LS 120. If you followed my previous marathon postings I
      mentioned that after installation of netatalk and a rebbot of the box
      that the power light would just flash and I could not reach it via
      telnet or web. So I tried reloading various firmwares even from EM
      mode (holdng INIT button down for 30s) all of which failed. So I
      though I would be smart and try to make it a kuro box (here is where
      the stupid part comes in). I thought if I erased the drive that the
      kuro setup tools would see it and just install with no problem, I
      proceeded to put the drive into my XP box and used disk admin to blow
      away all three partitions. Unfortunatly the kuro setup does not even
      see it. The linkstation firware update see the box and tries to reload
      but fails everytime and I have been trying it with th LS directly
      connected to the machine. So to all the experts out there have I
      really "bricked it"?

      Thanks
    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2005
        troyaw2000 wrote:

        > So I tried reloading various firmwares even from EM
        > mode (holdng INIT button down for 30s) all of which failed. So I
        > though I would be smart and try to make it a kuro box (here is where
        > the stupid part comes in).

        Failed how? How far did it get? Could the updater find the box?

        > I thought if I erased the drive that the
        > kuro setup tools would see it and just install with no problem, I
        > proceeded to put the drive into my XP box and used disk admin to blow
        > away all three partitions. Unfortunatly the kuro setup does not even
        > see it.

        You're right. That updater only recognizes Kuroboxes and vice
        versa for the LinkStation updater. To make a Kurobox, you have
        to use the LinkStation updater, and replace the LinkStation image
        with the Kuro image:
        http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

        > The linkstation firware update see the box and tries to reload
        > but fails everytime and I have been trying it with th LS directly
        > connected to the machine. So to all the experts out there have I
        > really "bricked it"?

        I'm pretty sure you can't brick it until you overwrite the flash
        with a bad image. However, I think you need make damn sure you
        completely erased the drive.

        Since you already destroyed the drive once, put the drive
        in a Linux machine or boot Knoppix and create a new empty DOS
        partition table using fdisk.

        Now put it back in the LinkStation. Stop, don't put the case
        on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?

        Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine, and
        flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its address
        to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to ping it
        from your machine.

        Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it should
        figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot into
        its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if necessary.
        Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
        change the root filesystem.

        Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
        LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.

        - Tim
      • troyaw2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
          Tim,
          Thanks for the advice, the firmware updater does see the device and
          goes through all the right steps "saving settins" "renewing firmware"
          and then it stops with a failure warning. If I restart the LS I can at
          least ping it by 192.168.11.150 so maybe all is not lost.

          I never changed the jumper on the drive, I just left it at the default
          cable select....no wait my drive is set from the factory as Single
          master drive...hmmm.

          I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
          partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will try
          the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know how it
          goes.

          Thanks again.

          Troy
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
          > troyaw2000 wrote:
          > >
          > > So I tried reloading various firmwares even from EM
          > > mode (holdng INIT button down for 30s) all of which failed. So I
          > > though I would be smart and try to make it a kuro box (here is where
          > > the stupid part comes in).
          >
          > Failed how? How far did it get? Could the updater find the box?
          >
          > > I thought if I erased the drive that the
          > > kuro setup tools would see it and just install with no problem, I
          > > proceeded to put the drive into my XP box and used disk admin to blow
          > > away all three partitions. Unfortunatly the kuro setup does not even
          > > see it.
          >
          > You're right. That updater only recognizes Kuroboxes and vice
          > versa for the LinkStation updater. To make a Kurobox, you have
          > to use the LinkStation updater, and replace the LinkStation image
          > with the Kuro image:

          http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

          > > The linkstation firware update see the box and tries to reload
          > > but fails everytime and I have been trying it with th LS directly
          > > connected to the machine. So to all the experts out there have I
          > > really "bricked it"?
          >
          > I'm pretty sure you can't brick it until you overwrite the flash
          > with a bad image. However, I think you need make damn sure you
          > completely erased the drive.
          >
          > Since you already destroyed the drive once, put the drive
          > in a Linux machine or boot Knoppix and create a new empty DOS
          > partition table using fdisk.
          >
          > Now put it back in the LinkStation. Stop, don't put the case
          > on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?
          >
          > Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine, and
          > flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its address
          > to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to ping it
          > from your machine.
          >
          > Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it should
          > figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot into
          > its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if necessary.
          > Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
          > change the root filesystem.
          >
          > Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
          > LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.
          >
          > - Tim
        • troyaw2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
            Well it looks as though I have a paper weight. I tried deleting the partitions (all 4 of them)
            and created a single DOS partition under linux with fdisk. I then put the drive back in the
            LS connected directly to my PC and tried the 1.44 firmware update again. When I first start
            the updater the info screen shows --- under current firmware. It gets all the way to the
            end and then fails. I put the drive back into the linux box and ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
            were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot finialize.

            Sad day....

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000" <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > in a Linux machine or boot Knoppix and create a new empty DOS
            > > partition table using fdisk.
            > >
            > > Now put it back in the LinkStation. Stop, don't put the case
            > > on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?
            > >
            > > Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine, and
            > > flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its address
            > > to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to ping it
            > > from your machine.
            > >
            > > Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it should
            > > figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot into
            > > its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if necessary.
            > > Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
            > > change the root filesystem.
            > >
            > > Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
            > > LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.

          • Tim Lewis
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
              troyaw2000 wrote:

              > Well it looks as though I have a paper weight. I tried deleting the partitions (all 4 of them)
              > and created a single DOS partition under linux with fdisk.

              Uh, you need to create a DOS partition TABLE, not create a
              DOS partition. I believe that this is option "o" in fdisk.

              It's a long shot at this point, but what I was getting at is that
              your partition table might be all screwed up and somehow this
              interferes with the updater.

              > I then put the drive back in the
              > LS connected directly to my PC and tried the 1.44 firmware update again. When I first start
              > the updater the info screen shows --- under current firmware. It gets all the way to the
              > end and then fails. I put the drive back into the linux box and ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
              > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot finialize.

              Okay, silly question: Did you try booting the LinkStation after it failed, or
              just assume it was dead? It's possible that the updater uses a new definition
              of the word "failure" that we were previously unaware of.

              That being said, if you haven't touched the flash, and you can indeed ping it,
              then it's not quite an ex-LinkStation (it's just pining). You should still be
              able to update it at this point.

              If all else fails, you may have to get a tar of the filesystem from somebody,
              and copy it manually onto your drive.

              - Tim
            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
                Troy,
                I have been there more than once. Not to worry its probably not
                dead. If you can ping it you should be able to fix it. Mine is
                really a Kuro converted to a LinkStation.
                Nuke the data and partitions on the drive. Let the updater rebuild
                it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few times. :-)
                I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you have XP-
                SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the response
                you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped too.
                Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects other
                thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater into
                failing.
                I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
                turned off everything and it completed.
                Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure other
                things. Its only 3 files and a reboot.

                Rich
                <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?
                > > >
                > > > Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine,
                and
                > > > flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its
                address
                > > > to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to
                ping it
                > > > from your machine.
                > > >
                > > > Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it
                should
                > > > figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot
                into
                > > > its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if
                necessary.
                > > > Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
                > > > change the root filesystem.
                > > >
                > > > Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
                > > > LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.

              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 23, 2005
                  how was it possible to install or turn on telnet with firmware 1.46??

                  is it possible to install it on firmware 1.47,too?

                  dont need it...would just be interesting....

                  regards mindbender

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                  <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > Single
                  > > > master drive...hmmm.
                  > > >
                  > > > I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
                  > > > partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will
                  > try
                  > > > the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know
                  > how it
                  > > > goes.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks again.
                  > > >
                  > > > Troy
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis

                  > So I
                  > is where

                  > box?

                  > problem, I
                  > admin to blow
                  > not even

                  > image
                  > > > >
                  > > > http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
                  > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

                • irvine_stock
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 25, 2005
                    Don't know about 1.47 yet. But it should work the same way.
                    Three files are missing. Copy them back and your up. You usually
                    can upgrade and downgrade as needed in case something goes wrong.
                    The firewall in XP-SP2 makes it harder now. It makes it look like a
                    Buffalo upgrader problem. It could be both.
                    I saw how easy telnet was from somebody else and enhanced the idea.
                    You basically fire up 1.45 which has telnet. This lets you do what
                    you need to.
                    Add a web link that copies the telnet files back into the right
                    place after the update. I included by password file too but the
                    upgrade should leave it alone as long as you don't pick "root" as
                    your log in. I picked "myroot". Add a password if you like.
                    Then upgrade to 1.46 or 1.47.
                    Then run your special web page (usually at cgi-bin3).
                    It copies telnet back in. After a reboot your in.
                    Rich
                    <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
                    > > > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot
                    > > finialize.
                    > > >

                    > > > Sad day....
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"

                    > > and
                    > > firmware"
                    LS I
                    > > can at

                    > > default
                    > > Single

                    > > try
                    > > how it

                    > > So I
                    > > is where

                    > > box?

                    > > problem, I
                    > > admin to blow
                    > > not even

                    LinkStation
                    > > image

                    > > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

                  • banta156
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 26, 2005
                      Hello,
                      I could really use some help wth this. Starting with v1.45_13, I
                      had no problems with telnet. I created the script to copy the 3
                      files back to the proper directories after the update to v1.46.
                      Tested the script and it ran fine.
                      Here's the problem, when updating to v1.46, the upgrade deletes the
                      cgi-bin3 folder. I tried to carry out the same script, this time
                      from cg-bin2, which does not get deleted with the upgrade. However,
                      the script file DOES get deleted. I think the entire directory gets
                      wiped out and replaced. Folders like //share do not get deleted,
                      but, I cannot run the script from there.

                      How do I get these three files back into the proper directories to
                      enable telnet with firware v1.46? I would like to do this as
                      described, without having to tear the LinkStation apart. But, if
                      that is the only way, then I will do that. Just need some guidance.

                      Could anyone shed some light on this for me. How can I get the
                      updater not to eliminate my scripts and/or, where can I find info
                      that will explain how to tear this puppy apart and manually add the
                      needed files?

                      Any help is greatly appreciated!
                      Banta

                      <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > rebuild
                      > > > it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few
                      times. :-
                      > )
                      > > > I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you
                      > have XP-
                      > > > SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the
                      > response
                      > > > you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped
                      > too.
                      > > > Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects
                      > other
                      > > > thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater
                      into
                      > > > failing.
                      > > > I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
                      > > > turned off everything and it completed.
                      > > > Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure

                    • irvine_stock
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 26, 2005
                        Hi Banta,
                        I got an Email from someone else that v1.47 erases the cgi-bin3
                        folder. Frankly I could not remember the exact steps myself anymore.
                        I double checked and I do have the V1.46_10 running telnet on my Kuro
                        box. I converted it to a LinkStation since the Kuro stuff has not
                        been going anywhere but Debian or Gentoo (not that its a bad thing!).
                        I did not remember having that problem. But since I have a serial
                        port connector soldered to my Kuro, I can copy files from the //share
                        back into the cgi directory by logging into root from there. So I
                        could have "cheated" and done that.
                        I have not had time to go back and upgrade the box to 1.47 either.
                        I understand they may have made some more directory changes in that
                        one to screw it up some more.
                        If I get a chance I might try the 1.47 trick. If you want to do it
                        right away, add a serial port.
                        Rich
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "banta156" <oldtoy@b...>

                      • banta156
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 27, 2005
                          Thank you for the reply.
                          It actually turned out to be fairly easy to get telnet enabled on
                          v1.46. My problems were because I was following the wrong set of
                          instructions for my set up.
                          For anyone interested...
                          The key to making this work was in the symlink. While telnet is
                          enabled in version 1.45_13, you merely create a symbolic link, which
                          is like a shortcut, in your /share directory to /www and /etc. Now,
                          when you upgrade the firmware, you still have access through /share
                          to get to the directories mentioned above. From there you just
                          create a cgi-bin3 folder, copy the files to the folder, run the
                          script and your done.
                          Follow the instruction in post # 1072.

                          Always remember to turn off enabled firewalls when updating firmware.
                          Banta