Re: Problem with Netatalk instructions/ problems compiling

  • troyaw2000
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
      Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool modification.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
      <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

      > Marc,
      > Nevermind I found it inside the netatalk source dir. I will let you
      > knoe the outcome.
      >
      > THanks
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
      > <troy.williams@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Marc,
      > > You lost me on this one, where does libtools live and do you mean edit
      > > a file called libtools?
      > >

      > > Thanks again for all your help
      > >
      > > Troy
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
      > > wrote:
      > have
      > > >
      > > > No. I was just checking. We're still investigating. As a workaround
      > > > you can try to modify libtools and replace the line SED="" with
      > > > SED="/bin/sed" and see if it works but it's only a temporary
      solution.

      > > > --Marc
    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
        On 2/25/05 at 11:34 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
        >Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool modification.

        Try:

        export SED=/bin/sed
        rerun configure [for Netatalk!]

        --Marc
      • troyaw2000
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
          Marc,
          That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.

          Thanks so much.

          BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?

          wrote:
          > On 2/25/05 at 11:34 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
          > >Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool
          modification.

          > Try:
          >
          > export SED=/bin/sed
          > rerun configure [for Netatalk!]
          >
          > --Marc
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
            On 2/26/05 at 12:11 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
            >That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.
            >
            >Thanks so much.
            >
            >BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?

            I think that you're about the only person who has tried to install
            netatalk 2 since I posted the instructions. I'll make a change and
            post the revised text.

            --Marc
          • troyaw2000
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
              Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the rest of the doc and
              finally started netatalk. There was an error basically staitng that it was already running. So
              I decided to reboot the LS. It never came back the power and ethernet light just flash. I
              guess my only recourse now it to try and reset it with the 1.44 firmware.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...> wrote:
              > On 2/26/05 at 12:11 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
              > >That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.
              > >
              > >Thanks so much.
              > >
              > >BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?
              >
              > I think that you're about the only person who has tried to install
              > netatalk 2 since I posted the instructions. I'll make a change and
              > post the revised text.
              >
              > --Marc
            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                On 2/26/05 at 2:10 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                >Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the
                >rest of the doc and finally started netatalk. There was an error
                >basically staitng that it was already running.

                Did you stop netatalk 1.6.4 before starting 2.0.2?

                If problems arise, I thought that resetting the unit would restore
                the setup to the initial config :-(

                --Marc
              • troyaw2000
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                  Marc,
                  Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                  Brick". I think I really messed it up. I am installing linux on a
                  spare computer right now so I can look at the drive.

                  wrote:
                  > On 2/26/05 at 2:10 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                  > >Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the
                  > >rest of the doc and finally started netatalk. There was an error
                  > >basically staitng that it was already running.
                  >
                  > Did you stop netatalk 1.6.4 before starting 2.0.2?
                  >
                  > If problems arise, I thought that resetting the unit would restore
                  > the setup to the initial config :-(
                  >
                  > --Marc
                • Marc Bizer
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                    On 2/26/05 at 5:40 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                    >Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                    >Brick".

                    I did, but I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with my
                    instructions. There has been a lot of mail on this list about what to
                    do when one's Linkstation becomes a "brick."

                    --Marc
                  • Iain Stevenson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                      This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting Netatalk 2
                      running on another ppc platform (Mac). It was a major PITA with the
                      printer driver exhibiting a major memory leak which led to a system hang
                      (so don't run it :-). I've also seen netatalk hang during startup. Going
                      back to an old version may be the only solution.

                      Iain

                      --On Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:11 pm -0600 Marc Bizer
                      <mbizer@...> wrote:

                      > On 2/26/05 at 5:40 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                      >> Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                      >> Brick".
                      >
                      > I did, but I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with my
                      > instructions. There has been a lot of mail on this list about what to
                      > do when one's Linkstation becomes a "brick."
                      >
                      > --Marc
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Marc Bizer
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                        On 2/27/05 at 10:55 AM +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
                        >This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting
                        >Netatalk 2 running on another ppc platform (Mac).

                        Why would you *run* Netatalk 2 on the Mac? It has AppleTalk built in!

                        --Marc
                      • Iain Stevenson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                          --On Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:13 am -0600 Marc Bizer
                          <mbizer@...> wrote:

                          > On 2/27/05 at 10:55 AM +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
                          >> This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting
                          >> Netatalk 2 running on another ppc platform (Mac).
                          >
                          > Why would you *run* Netatalk 2 on the Mac? It has AppleTalk built in!
                          >
                          > --Marc

                          .... If it's your home network Linux server :-)

                          Iain