Renaming printer?

  • Andrew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005

      I am trying out the print server on the Linkstation, the only thing being is how to rename the printer from the default LP?  I need to give it a friendly name once its been installed, so for example it says Samsung Printer on Linkstation or whatever, the only thing is it cannot be renamed for some reason - I don't mind the share name being LP, but need to change the name in Windows!

      Thanks.
      Andrew.
    • Bertram Dorfler
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005

        If you just want to rename the printer in Windows, it’s easy:

        You have to add a new TCP-IP port (the ip address of your LS) and then create a _local_ printer that is attached to this port…

        ernibert1973

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2005
          Andrew,
          In the files section you will find a zip file that allows changing
          the printer share name to what ever you want. It has a lot of other
          good features too.
          I didn't write it but it is a well done. The author deserves some
          credit for the effort.

          Configuring Samba on the LS.zip

          It also allows you to fix up the file sharing scripts. Try it!
          Rich

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
          <andrew@h...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am trying out the print server on the Linkstation, the only thing
          > being is how to rename the printer from the default LP? I need to
          give
          > it a friendly name once its been installed, so for example it says
          > Samsung Printer on Linkstation or whatever, the only thing is it
          cannot
          > be renamed for some reason - I don't mind the share name being LP,
          but
          > need to change the name in Windows!
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Andrew.
        • Andrew Hodgson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2005
            Hi.

            Thanks for this - Is this an LPR or Raw port though?  Do I need any specific settings?

            Ah.

            If you just want to rename the printer in Windows, it’s easy:

            You have to add a new TCP-IP port (the ip address of your LS) and then create a _local_ printer that is attached to this port…

            ernibert1973

            I am trying out the print server on the Linkstation, the only thing being is how to rename the printer from the default LP?  I need to give it a friendly name once its been installed, so for example it says Samsung Printer on Linkstation or whatever, the only thing is it cannot be renamed for some reason - I don't mind the share name being LP, but need to change the name in Windows!

            Thanks.

            Andrew.

          • Thoralf Freitag
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
              --- Andrew Hodgson <andrew@...>
              schrieb:
              > Hi.
              >
              > Thanks for this - Is this an LPR or Raw port though?

              You have to switch to lpr. The name of the queue is
              lp.
              Raw printing seems not be supported.

              > Do I need any
              > specific settings?

              Activate byte count.

              > Ah.

              Ciao

              TF

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12955en1m/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/

              D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1109379637/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*htt

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group

              Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de