TwonkyVision Media/MusicServer Issues / Questions

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
      Finally installed the TwonkyVision media server last night. Basically
      I found two issues with the media server software. I would like to
      understand if I'm the only one with these problems, any possible
      solutions, etc....

      1) The persistent database file doesn't always get created with the
      media server, but always seems to get created with music server.

      2) Streaming video from the music server causes my XP test host (w/ a
      UPnP control point) to get a connection reset and lock up.

      With the first issue I found that the server wouldn't consistently
      create on startup the database, if the file already didn't exist.
      Thus the solution seems to be to either use the music server to
      create the file or create a zero length file before starting media
      server. Updates to the database from media server were also
      questionable (e.g. upon rescan of the media files).

      On the second issue setting the server's buffer size to a small
      number, etc had no effect on the IP connection reset issue. This
      could be a problem with the control point software. I have no other
      way to test at this point as I don't have a hardware UPnP device at
      this juncture. What is the LS's MTU?

      That said streaming music worked very well in my testing.
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
        If you run "top" in a telnet window on the LS, what kind of numbers
        does the TwonkyVision turn up when streaming music?

        Daniel

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
          Only a few percent.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
          <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

          > If you run "top" in a telnet window on the LS, what kind of
          numbers
          > does the TwonkyVision turn up when streaming music?
          >
          > Daniel
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
          > <strat012@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Finally installed the TwonkyVision media server last night.
          > Basically
          > > I found two issues with the media server software. I would like
          > > understand if I'm the only one with these problems, any possible
          > > solutions, etc....
          > >
          > > 1) The persistent database file doesn't always get created with
          > the
          > > media server, but always seems to get created with music server.
          > >
          > > 2) Streaming video from the music server causes my XP test host
          > (w/ a
          > > UPnP control point) to get a connection reset and lock up.
          > >
          > > With the first issue I found that the server wouldn't
          consistently
          > > create on startup the database, if the file already didn't
          exist.
          > > Thus the solution seems to be to either use the music server to
          > > create the file or create a zero length file before starting
          media
          > > server. Updates to the database from media server were also
          > > questionable (e.g. upon rescan of the media files).
          > >
          > > On the second issue setting the server's buffer size to a small
          > > number, etc had no effect on the IP connection reset issue. This
          > > could be a problem with the control point software. I have no
          > other
          > > way to test at this point as I don't have a hardware UPnP device
          > at
          > > this juncture. What is the LS's MTU?
          > >
          > > That said streaming music worked very well in my testing.
        • mhite
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
            Out of curiosity, what are you using for the uPNP control point?

            The LS uses 1500, the default Ethernet MTU. You can confirm this by
            issuing "ifconfig -a" at a command prompt.

            --Matt

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
              With Windows Media Player On2Share (www.on2share.com) was what I was
              using. With further testing On2Share is unable to stream from
              itself - it has a server built in as well.

              Using Nero's ShowTime everything works correctly. I'm streaming MP4
              video to two PC's right now with zero problems. Mediaserver is using
              less than 1% on average given that it isn't transcoding and the
              format helps as well.

              Another problem with On2Share is that it takes a very (5-10min) long
              time to build the playlists prior to presenting them to
              WindowsMedia. Nero presents the playlists on the fly, thus if you
              have a large number of MP3's or other media files this makes a big
              difference.

              Another thing that works well is providing internet "radio"
              streaming.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mhite" <mhite@y...>