Problem with Netatalk instructions

  • troyaw2000
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 22, 2005
      I am new around here and trying to follow the netatalk instructions in
      the howto section. My problem is step #2 where it says to untar all
      the binaries after cd'ing to / (root) well after about the fourth one
      the /
      partition filled up. Did I miss a step or just read it wrong and am
      supposed to untar those into the /opt dir that I created?

      Thanks for any tips.
    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
        On 2/23/05 at 3:32 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
        >I am new around here and trying to follow the netatalk instructions
        >in the howto section. My problem is step #2 where it says to untar
        >all the binaries after cd'ing to / (root) well after about the
        >fourth one the / partition filled up. Did I miss a step or just read
        >it wrong and am supposed to untar those into the /opt dir that I
        >created?

        Yes, the libraries are supposed to be copied to /opt, and then you
        unzip and untar the source.

        --Marc
      • troyaw2000
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:
          > On 2/23/05 at 3:32 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
          > >I am new around here and trying to follow the netatalk instructions
          > >in the howto section. My problem is step #2 where it says to untar
          > >all the binaries after cd'ing to / (root) well after about the
          > >fourth one the / partition filled up. Did I miss a step or just read
          > >it wrong and am supposed to untar those into the /opt dir that I
          > >created?
          >
          > Yes, the libraries are supposed to be copied to /opt, and then you
          > unzip and untar the source.
          >
          > --Marc

          Marc,
          Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I understand correctly. I
          untar them from within /opt ? right. If it makes any difference this
          is a 120gb version and there is only like 30mb available on / .
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
            On 2/23/05 at 6:37 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
            >Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I understand correctly. I
            >untar them from within /opt ? right.

            I'm no expert on this, but they're installed into that directory, so
            you just run the tar command from within that directory.

            --Marc
          • Jose Quezada
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
              no, i don't think this is right. If you untar them
              while in /opt you will get all the libs going to:
              /opt/usr/lib
              /opt/usr/local/lib
              /opt/etc

              and so forth.

              but what you want is for them to go to:
              /usr/lib
              /usr/local
              /etc

              Therefore the instructions are correct: cd to / (root)
              and then untar.

              Since the root partition is only like 30mb, you will
              most likely run out of space untaring all those
              binaries (which is, indeed, what happened to you).
              What I did was to move my /usr & /etc directories to
              my /opt and then created sym links to them in /. So
              my / dir has:
              /usr -> /opt/usr
              /etc -> /opt/etc

              JQ

              btw: the difference between just untar into /opt/usr
              and NOT having a sym link from /usr -> /opt/usr is
              that many of the programs that will use these libs
              will look in /usr for them, not /opt/usr. so you have
              to move your current /usr to /opt/usr and then have a
              sym link under /.

              --- Marc Bizer <mbizer@...> wrote:

              > On 2/23/05 at 6:37 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
              > >Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I
              > understand correctly. I
              > >untar them from within /opt ? right.
              >
              > I'm no expert on this, but they're installed into
              > that directory, so
              > you just run the tar command from within that
              > directory.
              >
              > --Marc

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • troyaw2000
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
                Jose,
                Thanks so much for the clarity. That's kinda what I though because
                those libraries are the compiler tools and I was wondering how they
                would be found under /opt . Sym links sound like the way to go.

                Thanks again.

                Troy

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose Quezada <syle@y...>

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
                  On 2/24/05 at 3:17 PM -0800, Jose Quezada wrote:
                  >Therefore the instructions are correct: cd to / (root) and then untar.

                  I'm glad :-)

                  --Marc
                • troyaw2000
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
                    Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                    but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                    netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.

                    root@HD-HLANBF7:/opt/netatalk-2.0.2# make
                    make all-recursive
                    make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2'
                    Making all in libatalk
                    make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2/libatalk'
                    Making all in adouble
                    make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2/libatalk/adouble'
                    source='ad_open.c' object='ad_open.lo' libtool=yes \
                    depfile='.deps/ad_open.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/ad_open.TPlo' \
                    depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../../depcomp \
                    /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
                    -I../.. -I../../include -g -O2 -I../../sys -c -o ad_open.lo `test
                    -f 'ad_open.c' || echo './'`ad_open.c
                    ../../libtool: s%^.*/%%: No such file or directory
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    ../../libtool: -e: command not found
                    : compile: cannot determine name of library object from `'
                    make[3]: *** [ad_open.lo] Error 1
                    make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2/libatalk/adouble'
                    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                    make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2/libatalk'
                    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                    make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/netatalk-2.0.2'
                    make: *** [all] Error 2
                    root@HD-HLANBF7:/opt/netatalk-2.0.2#

                    Can anyone make sense of this,

                    Thanks

                    Troy

                    wrote:
                    > On 2/24/05 at 3:17 PM -0800, Jose Quezada wrote:
                    > >Therefore the instructions are correct: cd to / (root) and then untar.
                    >
                    > I'm glad :-)
                    >
                    > --Marc
                  • Marc Bizer
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
                      On 2/25/05 at 4:26 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                      >Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                      >but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                      >netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.

                      When I tried to replicate my steps, I saw this, too. I'm not sure how
                      to fix it. I'm consulting with one of the netatalk devs.

                      --Marc
                    • troyaw2000
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 24, 2005
                        Marc,
                        thanks so much I appreciate the assistance, I feel that I am so close
                        to getting this to work...

                        wrote:
                        > On 2/25/05 at 4:26 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                        > >Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                        > >but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                        > >netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.
                        >
                        > When I tried to replicate my steps, I saw this, too. I'm not sure how
                        > to fix it. I'm consulting with one of the netatalk devs.
                        >
                        > --Marc
                      • Marc Bizer
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                          On 2/25/05 at 4:26 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                          >Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                          >but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                          >netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.

                          Did you properly install binutils?

                          --Marc
                        • troyaw2000
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                            Marc,
                            I am pretty sure I untared them from / but I will do it again and see
                            what happens.

                            wrote:
                            > On 2/25/05 at 4:26 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                            > >Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                            > >but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                            > >netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.
                            >
                            > Did you properly install binutils?
                            >
                            > --Marc
                          • troyaw2000
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                              Marc,
                              I untared binutils again, then tried the "configure and make" process.
                              Configure completes wihtout any errors but when I run "make it gives
                              the same errors as before. Am I supposed to do something else with
                              binutils?

                              Again here is the output from make

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
                              <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

                              > Marc,
                              > I am pretty sure I untared them from / but I will do it again and see
                              > what happens.
                              >

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > On 2/25/05 at 4:26 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                              > > >Thanks to Jose earlier suggestions I have gotten much further along
                              > > >but now I am having a problem when I try to "configure and make"
                              > > >netatalk. Here is the output from the "make" command.
                              > >
                              > > Did you properly install binutils?
                              > >
                              > > --Marc
                            • Marc Bizer
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                On 2/25/05 at 10:16 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                >I untared binutils again, then tried the "configure and make" process.
                                >Configure completes wihtout any errors but when I run "make it gives
                                >the same errors as before. Am I supposed to do something else with
                                >binutils?

                                Right. I don't have a problem with configure, either. Have you
                                installed textutils? What do you currently have in /usr/local/bin?

                                --Marc
                              • troyaw2000
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                  Well I don't seem to have a /usr/local/bin . In /usr/local/ all I have
                                  is BerkeleyDB.4.2 and EPKowa. Could this be the problem?

                                  wrote:
                                  > On 2/25/05 at 10:16 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                  > >I untared binutils again, then tried the "configure and make" process.
                                  > >Configure completes wihtout any errors but when I run "make it gives
                                  > >the same errors as before. Am I supposed to do something else with
                                  > >binutils?
                                  >
                                  > Right. I don't have a problem with configure, either. Have you
                                  > installed textutils? What do you currently have in /usr/local/bin?
                                  >
                                  > --Marc
                                • Marc Bizer
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                    On 2/25/05 at 11:08 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                    >Well I don't seem to have a /usr/local/bin . In /usr/local/ all I have
                                    >is BerkeleyDB.4.2 and EPKowa. Could this be the problem?

                                    No. I was just checking. We're still investigating. As a workaround
                                    you can try to modify libtools and replace the line SED="" with
                                    SED="/bin/sed" and see if it works but it's only a temporary solution.

                                    --Marc
                                  • troyaw2000
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                      Marc,
                                      You lost me on this one, where does libtools live and do you mean edit
                                      a file called libtools?

                                      Thanks again for all your help

                                      Troy
                                      wrote:
                                      > On 2/25/05 at 11:08 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                      > >Well I don't seem to have a /usr/local/bin . In /usr/local/ all I have
                                      > >is BerkeleyDB.4.2 and EPKowa. Could this be the problem?
                                      >
                                      > No. I was just checking. We're still investigating. As a workaround
                                      > you can try to modify libtools and replace the line SED="" with
                                      > SED="/bin/sed" and see if it works but it's only a temporary solution.
                                      >
                                      > --Marc
                                    • troyaw2000
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                        Marc,
                                        Nevermind I found it inside the netatalk source dir. I will let you
                                        knoe the outcome.

                                        <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

                                        > Marc,
                                        > You lost me on this one, where does libtools live and do you mean edit
                                        > a file called libtools?
                                        >

                                        > Thanks again for all your help
                                        >
                                        > Troy
                                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > On 2/25/05 at 11:08 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                        > > >Well I don't seem to have a /usr/local/bin . In /usr/local/ all I
                                        have
                                        > > >is BerkeleyDB.4.2 and EPKowa. Could this be the problem?
                                        > >
                                        > > No. I was just checking. We're still investigating. As a workaround
                                        > > you can try to modify libtools and replace the line SED="" with
                                        > > SED="/bin/sed" and see if it works but it's only a temporary solution.
                                        > >
                                        > > --Marc
                                      • troyaw2000
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                          Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool modification.

                                          <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

                                          > Marc,
                                          > Nevermind I found it inside the netatalk source dir. I will let you
                                          > knoe the outcome.
                                          >
                                          > THanks
                                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
                                          > <troy.williams@g...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Marc,
                                          > > You lost me on this one, where does libtools live and do you mean edit
                                          > > a file called libtools?
                                          > >

                                          > > Thanks again for all your help
                                          > >
                                          > > Troy
                                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > have
                                          > > >
                                          > > > No. I was just checking. We're still investigating. As a workaround
                                          > > > you can try to modify libtools and replace the line SED="" with
                                          > > > SED="/bin/sed" and see if it works but it's only a temporary
                                          solution.

                                          > > > --Marc
                                        • Marc Bizer
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                            On 2/25/05 at 11:34 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                            >Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool modification.

                                            Try:

                                            export SED=/bin/sed
                                            rerun configure [for Netatalk!]

                                            --Marc
                                          • troyaw2000
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                              Marc,
                                              That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.

                                              Thanks so much.

                                              BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?

                                              wrote:
                                              > On 2/25/05 at 11:34 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                              > >Unfortunately I get the same error even after that libtool
                                              modification.

                                              > Try:
                                              >
                                              > export SED=/bin/sed
                                              > rerun configure [for Netatalk!]
                                              >
                                              > --Marc
                                            • Marc Bizer
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                                On 2/26/05 at 12:11 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                >That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.
                                                >
                                                >Thanks so much.
                                                >
                                                >BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?

                                                I think that you're about the only person who has tried to install
                                                netatalk 2 since I posted the instructions. I'll make a change and
                                                post the revised text.

                                                --Marc
                                              • troyaw2000
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 25, 2005
                                                  Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the rest of the doc and
                                                  finally started netatalk. There was an error basically staitng that it was already running. So
                                                  I decided to reboot the LS. It never came back the power and ethernet light just flash. I
                                                  guess my only recourse now it to try and reset it with the 1.44 firmware.

                                                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...> wrote:
                                                  > On 2/26/05 at 12:11 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                  > >That WORKED!!! It is makeing right now. I will let you know how it goes.
                                                  > >
                                                  > >Thanks so much.
                                                  > >
                                                  > >BTW was this problem noticed by anyone else or just me?
                                                  >
                                                  > I think that you're about the only person who has tried to install
                                                  > netatalk 2 since I posted the instructions. I'll make a change and
                                                  > post the revised text.
                                                  >
                                                  > --Marc
                                                • Marc Bizer
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                                                    On 2/26/05 at 2:10 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                    >Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the
                                                    >rest of the doc and finally started netatalk. There was an error
                                                    >basically staitng that it was already running.

                                                    Did you stop netatalk 1.6.4 before starting 2.0.2?

                                                    If problems arise, I thought that resetting the unit would restore
                                                    the setup to the initial config :-(

                                                    --Marc
                                                  • troyaw2000
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                                                      Marc,
                                                      Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                                                      Brick". I think I really messed it up. I am installing linux on a
                                                      spare computer right now so I can look at the drive.

                                                      wrote:
                                                      > On 2/26/05 at 2:10 AM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                      > >Bad news. After the making and installing was done I followed the
                                                      > >rest of the doc and finally started netatalk. There was an error
                                                      > >basically staitng that it was already running.
                                                      >
                                                      > Did you stop netatalk 1.6.4 before starting 2.0.2?
                                                      >
                                                      > If problems arise, I thought that resetting the unit would restore
                                                      > the setup to the initial config :-(
                                                      >
                                                      > --Marc
                                                    • Marc Bizer
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 26, 2005
                                                        On 2/26/05 at 5:40 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                        >Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                                                        >Brick".

                                                        I did, but I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with my
                                                        instructions. There has been a lot of mail on this list about what to
                                                        do when one's Linkstation becomes a "brick."

                                                        --Marc
                                                      • Iain Stevenson
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                                                          This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting Netatalk 2
                                                          running on another ppc platform (Mac). It was a major PITA with the
                                                          printer driver exhibiting a major memory leak which led to a system hang
                                                          (so don't run it :-). I've also seen netatalk hang during startup. Going
                                                          back to an old version may be the only solution.

                                                          Iain

                                                          --On Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:11 pm -0600 Marc Bizer
                                                          <mbizer@...> wrote:

                                                          > On 2/26/05 at 5:40 PM +0000, troyaw2000 wrote:
                                                          >> Did you see my last post with the sublct of "Is my Linkstation a
                                                          >> Brick".
                                                          >
                                                          > I did, but I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with my
                                                          > instructions. There has been a lot of mail on this list about what to
                                                          > do when one's Linkstation becomes a "brick."
                                                          >
                                                          > --Marc
                                                          >

                                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                        • Marc Bizer
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                                                            On 2/27/05 at 10:55 AM +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
                                                            >This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting
                                                            >Netatalk 2 running on another ppc platform (Mac).

                                                            Why would you *run* Netatalk 2 on the Mac? It has AppleTalk built in!

                                                            --Marc
                                                          • Iain Stevenson
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 27, 2005
                                                              --On Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:13 am -0600 Marc Bizer
                                                              <mbizer@...> wrote:

                                                              > On 2/27/05 at 10:55 AM +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
                                                              >> This may be irrelevant but .... I've had real problems getting
                                                              >> Netatalk 2 running on another ppc platform (Mac).
                                                              >
                                                              > Why would you *run* Netatalk 2 on the Mac? It has AppleTalk built in!
                                                              >
                                                              > --Marc

                                                              .... If it's your home network Linux server :-)

                                                              Iain