Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: problem with root

  • Rick Flower
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
      In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
      it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
      passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
      the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

      -- Rick

      Roy M. Silvernail said:

      > jamy1975 wrote:
      >
      >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
      >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
      >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
      >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
      >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
      >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
      >>problem, I'm just sure.
      >>

      > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
      > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
      >
      > In vi, the cure is:
      >
      > vi -b passwd
      > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
      >
      > --
      > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
      > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
      > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
      > http://www.rant-central.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
        I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
        line solved the problem.

        Thanks everyone for your help.

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"