Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: problem with root

  • Roy M. Silvernail
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
      jamy1975 wrote:

      >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
      >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
      >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
      >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
      >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
      >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
      >problem, I'm just sure.

      Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
      a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

      In vi, the cure is:

      vi -b passwd
      :1,$ s/^V^M$//

      --
      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
        In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
        it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
        passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
        the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

        -- Rick

        Roy M. Silvernail said:

        > jamy1975 wrote:
        >
        >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
        >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
        >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
        >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
        >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
        >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
        >>problem, I'm just sure.
        >>

        > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
        > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
        >
        > In vi, the cure is:
        >
        > vi -b passwd
        > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
        >
        > --
        > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
        > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
        > http://www.rant-central.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
          I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
          line solved the problem.

          Thanks everyone for your help.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"