Re: problem with root

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
      I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
      the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
      from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
      is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
      a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
      exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
      problem, I'm just sure.

      Jamy

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>
      wrote:

      > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
      >
      > Linux uses a different end of line character
      > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
      > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
      > might be the source of the problem, as it
      > would change the the way Linux reads the
      > file.
      >
      > If you are editing the file on a Windows
      > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
      >
      > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
      >
      > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
      > files in the correct format.
      >
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > John
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
      wrote:

      > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
      > >
      > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
      > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
      > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
      > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
      > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
      > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
      > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
      > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
      > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
      > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
      > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
      > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      > >
      > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004

        wrote:

        > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
        >
        > Linux uses a different end of line character
        > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
        > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
        > might be the source of the problem, as it
        > would change the the way Linux reads the
        > file.
        >
        > If you are editing the file on a Windows
        > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
        >
        > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
        >
        > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
        > files in the correct format.
        >
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > John
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        wrote:

        > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
        > >
        > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
        > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
        > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
        > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
        > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
        > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
        > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
        > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
        > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
        > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
        > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
        > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > >
        > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
          jamy1975 wrote:

          >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
          >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
          >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
          >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
          >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
          >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
          >problem, I'm just sure.

          Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
          a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

          In vi, the cure is:

          vi -b passwd
          :1,$ s/^V^M$//

          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
            In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
            it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
            passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
            the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

            -- Rick

            Roy M. Silvernail said:

            > jamy1975 wrote:
            >
            >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
            >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
            >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
            >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
            >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
            >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
            >>problem, I'm just sure.
            >>

            > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
            > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
            >
            > In vi, the cure is:
            >
            > vi -b passwd
            > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
            >
            > --
            > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
            > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
            > http://www.rant-central.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
              I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
              line solved the problem.

              Thanks everyone for your help.

              Jamy

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"