Re: problem with root

  • vax2man
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
      What are you using to edit the passwd file?

      Linux uses a different end of line character
      than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
      editing the file on a non-Linux system that
      might be the source of the problem, as it
      would change the the way Linux reads the
      file.

      If you are editing the file on a Windows
      system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:

      www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

      It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
      files in the correct format.

      Hope this helps...

      John

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

      > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
      >
      > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
      > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
      > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
      > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
      > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
      > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
      > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
      > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
      > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
      > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
      > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
      > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
      >
      > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
        I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
        the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
        from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
        is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
        a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
        exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
        problem, I'm just sure.

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004

          wrote:

          > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
          >
          > Linux uses a different end of line character
          > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
          > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
          > might be the source of the problem, as it
          > would change the the way Linux reads the
          > file.
          >
          > If you are editing the file on a Windows
          > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
          >
          > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
          >
          > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
          > files in the correct format.
          >
          > Hope this helps...
          >
          > John
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          wrote:

          > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
          > >
          > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
          > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
          > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
          > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
          > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
          > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
          > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
          > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
          > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
          > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
          > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
          > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
          > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
          > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
          > >
          > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

        • Roy M. Silvernail
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
            jamy1975 wrote:

            >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
            >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
            >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
            >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
            >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
            >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
            >problem, I'm just sure.

            Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
            a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

            In vi, the cure is:

            vi -b passwd
            :1,$ s/^V^M$//

            --
            Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
              In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
              it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
              passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
              the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

              -- Rick

              Roy M. Silvernail said:

              > jamy1975 wrote:
              >
              >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
              >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
              >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
              >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
              >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
              >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
              >>problem, I'm just sure.
              >>

              > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
              > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
              >
              > In vi, the cure is:
              >
              > vi -b passwd
              > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
              >
              > --
              > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
              > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
              > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
              > http://www.rant-central.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jamy1975
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
                line solved the problem.

                Thanks everyone for your help.

                Jamy

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"