smb.conf tune up & Samba showing entire Linux disk

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2005
      [smb.conf extracts at the bottom]
      Okay, I had a long date with the LS :-) Now I can browse the entire
      disk content (Linux file system) on my desktop.

      I like navigating with command lines but a nice tree on a desktop
      helps locate things easier. To that extent I searched logs files and
      boy is this LS loaded with hard errors like mounting Laserwriter
      that can not be unmounted...
      SMB errors from log.smbd:
      load_client_codepage: filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.437 does
      not exist!
      load_unicode_map: filename /usr/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does
      not exist!

      Anyway here is my Samba tune up and Linux file share for ya:
      [global]
      ... vanila config stuff before...
      (*)local master = yes (LS master browser)
      (*)preferred master = yes (yes master)
      (*)os level = 65 (LS always wins browser elections)
      (*)log level = 2 (get more troubleshooting info)
      (*)veto files = /Thumbs.db/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/ (hides
      useless)
      (*)domain master = no
      (*) password level = 10 (validated for 10 chars)
      time server = yes (answers network time queries)
      dead time = 180 (reclaims unused connections)

      (*) existing entry to be edited - make sure only one entry.
      ... vanila global entries after ...

      [Linux]
      comment = MontaVista Linux SandPoint file system
      path = / (disk top path)
      browsable = yes (show me the goodies)
      printable = no
      writable = no (better safe than sorry)
      valid use = admin,sam (ad your userID if you will)
      ###Linux##
      # end of section

      How to proceed with changes:
      edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf by adding the above sections under the
      right headers

      To copy /etc/samba/smb.conf you will need to logon as *root*
      1- stop samba (or your changes will be lost)
      2- replace the file (smb.conf edited with VI *not* wordpad!)
      3- restart samba

      How to stop/start Samba:
      open a second telnet session (because of changing PATH limitation)
      "PATH=/etc/rc.d/init.d" (if not the stop command will error out)
      "cd /etc/init.d"
      "smb stop" (stops the Samba server)
      NOW you can do: "cp smbENH.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf")
      "smb start" (restarts your Samba)
      "cat /etc/samba/smb.conf |more" (confirm your changes are still in)

      Last, enjoy your changes from your local network:
      - entire linux file system browseable in read-only mode
      - a network time server (type "net time" from a dos box)
      - browing the network is faster (prefered master browser always up)
      - Win-XP "Thumbs.db" are not displayed but are eraseable

      Sorry I can not simply post the entire "smb.conf" because every one
      here has different entries for shares, server strings etc...

      Room for improvements: the orginal LS "client code page = 437"
      returns error ("filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.437 does not
      exist")thanks Buffalo for buggy code... we'll help one another fix
      things up.
      sam
    • Paul Milligan (home)

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 17, 2005
          paul,
          I had the same problem of changes not sticking > Follow ALL the
          instructions...
          Your changes don't stick because you need to:
          STOP samba
          THEN change you smb.conf
          restart samba (not power down the linkstation, that won't do.)

          I suggest also to increase the "max log size = 300" to see 300Kb.
          10kb is not enough with log level=2

          While you are geared with samba stop/start (I use 3 separate telnet
          sessions), I have the fix for the codepage errors caused by Buffalo
          partial build.
          read next post on how to fix that.
          Sam

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • chano22000
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 17, 2005
            <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
            > Can I raise 1 concern. After looking at the code run during
            startup it
            > seems that the samba.conf file is recreated every time the
            linkstation
            > reboots. Thus any manual changes will only persist till power
            cycle.
            > Have you looked at a way of keeping this persistent? (or have I
            misread
            > the boot code?)

            You can use the scripts I posted some time ago in the file section
            for that purpose.

            Chano22000
          • Paul Milligan (home)
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 17, 2005
              Thanks for reminding me! I downloaded the file when you posted it, but lost it in my filing system. Thanks also to Frenchy for identifying (and fixing) another deficiency in the Linkstation code.

              I see our group has nearly 700 members and has grown by 50 in the last week. Given that it can be hard for newbies to sift through 1400 posts to find solutions to problems already fixed, should we as a group be looking to do a wiki so that stuff that is already known can be easily accessed and built upon?

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2005
                Paul,

                That would be great to keep things clear for all.
                <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                > Thanks for reminding me! I downloaded the file when you posted it,
                but
                > lost it in my filing system. Thanks also to Frenchy for
                identifying (and
                > fixing) another deficiency in the Linkstation code.
                >
                > I see our group has nearly 700 members and has grown by 50 in the
                last
                > week. Given that it can be hard for newbies to sift through 1400
                posts
                > to find solutions to problems already fixed, should we as a group
                be
                > looking to do a wiki so that stuff that is already known can be
                easily
                > accessed and built upon?
                >

                > chano22000 wrote:
                >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan
                (home)"
                > > <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                > > > Can I raise 1 concern. After looking at the code run during
                > > startup it
                > > > seems that the samba.conf file is recreated every time the
                > > linkstation
                > > > reboots. Thus any manual changes will only persist till power
                > > cycle.
                > > > Have you looked at a way of keeping this persistent? (or have I
                > > misread
                > > > the boot code?)
                > >

                > > You can use the scripts I posted some time ago in the file
                section
                > > for that purpose.
                > >
                > > Chano22000

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2005
                  hey Paul,
                  Actually I had the same smb.conf refresh issue happen to me this
                  morning.
                  To patch the file you need to shutdown/restart Samba but
                  when you restart LS the file is overwriten. I am going to look at
                  where the backup source comes from so smb.conf can be refreshed from
                  an updated copy as well.
                  <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > NOW you can do: "cp smbENH.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf")
                  > > "smb start" (restarts your Samba)
                  > > "cat /etc/samba/smb.conf |more" (confirm your changes are still
                  in)

                  > > Last, enjoy your changes from your local network:
                  > > - entire linux file system browseable in read-only mode
                  > > - a network time server (type "net time" from a dos box)
                  > > - browing the network is faster (prefered master browser always
                  up)
                  > > - Win-XP "Thumbs.db" are not displayed but are eraseable
                  > >
                  > > Sorry I can not simply post the entire "smb.conf" because every
                  one
                  > > here has different entries for shares, server strings etc...
                  > >
                  > > Room for improvements: the orginal LS "client code page = 437"
                  > > returns error ("filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.437 does not
                  > > exist")thanks Buffalo for buggy code... we'll help one another

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                • Jim Buzbee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 18, 2005
                    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Frenchy wrote:

                    > hey Paul,
                    > Actually I had the same smb.conf refresh issue happen to me this
                    > morning.
                    > To patch the file you need to shutdown/restart Samba but
                    > when you restart LS the file is overwriten. I am going to look at
                    > where the backup source comes from so smb.conf can be refreshed from
                    > an updated copy as well.
                    > Sam

                    There's a script on my Kuro box (in /etc/init.d ?) that appears to pull
                    the config from somewhere (flash?) copy it to /tmp and then back over the
                    smb.conf file. Same for appletalk config. I'm not at my box at the
                    moment, but you can just grep for smb.conf in the scripts directory to
                    find it. I just stuck an "exit 0" near the top.

                    Jim

> [...]
                    > > > NOW you can do: "cp smbENH.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf")
                    > > > "smb start" (restarts your Samba)
                    > > > "cat /etc/samba/smb.conf |more" (confirm your changes are still
                    > in)
                    > > >
                    > > > Last, enjoy your changes from your local network:
                    > > > - entire linux file system browseable in read-only mode
                    > > > - a network time server (type "net time" from a dos box)
                    > > > - browing the network is faster (prefered master browser always
                    > up)
                    > > > - Win-XP "Thumbs.db" are not displayed but are eraseable
                    > > >
                    > > > Sorry I can not simply post the entire "smb.conf" because every
                    > one
                    > > > here has different entries for shares, server strings etc...
                    > > >
                    > > > Room for improvements: the orginal LS "client code page = 437"
                    > > > returns error ("filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.437 does not
                    > > > exist")thanks Buffalo for buggy code... we'll help one another

                    Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
                    jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
                    http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
                  • Frenchy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 22, 2005
                      Paul / Jim,

                      I found some samba/melco code that does something like:
                      cp smb.conf to temp
                      nks(?) temp to smb.conf

                      --help:
                      After reading about that tool, seems to me that it is a filter to
                      convert between the 3 Japanese caracter fonts - Should be
                      transparent for US.

                      Q:
                      What is the code that you saw that does the automatic
                      refresh/overwrite?
                      sam.

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jim Buzbee

                      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
                      > > subject=Unsubscribe>

                      Terms of

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 22, 2005
                        On Feb 22, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Frenchy wrote:

                        > Paul / Jim,
                        >
                        > I found some samba/melco code that does something like:
                        > cp smb.conf to temp
                        > nks(?) temp to smb.conf

                        On my Kuro box, the file is:

                        /etc/init.d/chkshare

                        But looking again at it closely, it may just be doing the conversion
                        you mention and not changing the original file.

                        Jim

> [...]
                        > over the
                        >> smb.conf file. Same for appletalk config. I'm not at my box at
                        > the
                        >> moment, but you can just grep for smb.conf in the scripts
                        > directory to
                        >> find it. I just stuck an "exit 0" near the top.
                        >>
                        >> Jim
                        >>

                        >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan
                        > (home)"
                        >>> startup it
                        >>> linkstation
                        >>> cycle.
                        >>> misread

                        >>> entire

                        > desktop
                        > files
                        >>> and
                        > Laserwriter
                        > filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.437
                        >>> does
                        > filename /usr/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850

                      • chano22000
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 22, 2005
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                          <glasseron@y...> wrote:

                          The smb.conf file is generated by /bin/mkcode based on the
                          configuration defined through the web admin interface and stored
                          in /etc/melco files. The procedure is called at boot (through
                          chkshare), every time a /www script is executed which modifies the
                          configuration and when an external USB disk is detected.

                          The /bin/nkf function just translates the Japanese charset into
                          western ones as the linux and samba implementation are Japanese
                          localized.

                          I have posted some times ago in the files section a set of scripts I
                          use in order to cutomize the smb.conf file while not interfering
                          with the rest of the LS.

                          Regards.

                          Chano22000.