Re: problem with root

  • sneed_siding
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
      I think I just deleted the root password
      (root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash). This lets you log in with no
      password. Then use the passwd program to reset the password to the
      desired secret word. Copying the hashed value probably doesn't work
      if part of the hash algorithm uses the user name.
    • vax2man
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
        What are you using to edit the passwd file?

        Linux uses a different end of line character
        than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
        editing the file on a non-Linux system that
        might be the source of the problem, as it
        would change the the way Linux reads the
        file.

        If you are editing the file on a Windows
        system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:

        www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

        It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
        files in the correct format.

        Hope this helps...

        John

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

        > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
        >
        > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
        > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
        > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
        > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
        > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
        > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
        > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
        > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
        > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
        > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
        > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
        > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        >
        > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
          I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
          the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
          from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
          is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
          a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
          exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
          problem, I'm just sure.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004

            wrote:

            > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
            >
            > Linux uses a different end of line character
            > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
            > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
            > might be the source of the problem, as it
            > would change the the way Linux reads the
            > file.
            >
            > If you are editing the file on a Windows
            > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
            >
            > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
            >
            > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
            > files in the correct format.
            >
            > Hope this helps...
            >
            > John
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
            wrote:

            > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
            > >
            > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
            > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
            > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
            > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
            > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
            > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
            > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
            > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
            > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
            > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
            > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
            > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
            > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
            > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
            > >
            > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

          • Roy M. Silvernail
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
              jamy1975 wrote:

              >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
              >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
              >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
              >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
              >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
              >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
              >problem, I'm just sure.

              Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
              a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

              In vi, the cure is:

              vi -b passwd
              :1,$ s/^V^M$//

              --
              Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
              "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
                it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
                passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
                the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

                -- Rick

                Roy M. Silvernail said:

                > jamy1975 wrote:
                >
                >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                >>problem, I'm just sure.
                >>

                > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
                > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
                >
                > In vi, the cure is:
                >
                > vi -b passwd
                > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
                >
                > --
                > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                > http://www.rant-central.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • jamy1975
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                  I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
                  line solved the problem.

                  Thanks everyone for your help.

                  Jamy

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"