Re: problem with root

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
      Well.. I'm about to give up and take the linkstation back and get a
      Kuro or mini itx system. Taking it back would be unfortunate as I
      could really use the extra 160 HD that is included.

      I have no tried copyin the password from three different accounts to
      the root account. It never works. I continue to get the same error.

      I have the 1.44 firmware. I am starting to wonder if they somehow
      locked down root via the onboard rom.

      Any ideas at this point, would be greatly appreciated.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>

    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
        Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd

        root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
        bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
        daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
        sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
        adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
        sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
        shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
        halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
        operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
        ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
        nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
        jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash

        can anyone see anything wrong with it?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

        > Well.. I'm about to give up and take the linkstation back and get a
        > Kuro or mini itx system. Taking it back would be unfortunate as I
        > could really use the extra 160 HD that is included.
        >
        > I have no tried copyin the password from three different accounts to
        > the root account. It never works. I continue to get the same error.
        >
        > I have the 1.44 firmware. I am starting to wonder if they somehow
        > locked down root via the onboard rom.
        >
        > Any ideas at this point, would be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > I'll also assume that your passwords are hashed and they you
        didn't put
        > > your plain-text passwords directly
        > > in the passwd file.
        > >
        > > Does your root account have a .login or .profile that is being run
        when
        > > you login?
        > >
        > > Also, check to make sure all paths listed in passwd for the root
        > > account are valid -- does /root exist?
        > >
        > > How about the shell? Is there a /bin/bash?
        > >
        > > -- Rick
        > >
        > > On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:02 PM, jamy1975 wrote:
        > >

        > > > My passwd file is as follows. I have of course replaced the
        passwords
        > > > with X's. The paths loo the same to me, so I have no idea what is
        > > > causing this.
        > > >
        > > > root:XXXXXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
        > > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
        > > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
        > > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
        > > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
        > > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
        > > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
        > > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
        > > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
        > > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
        > > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
        > > > myroot:XXXXXXXX:100:1000::/home:/bin/bash
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>

        > check the

      • sneed_siding
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
          I think I just deleted the root password
          (root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash). This lets you log in with no
          password. Then use the passwd program to reset the password to the
          desired secret word. Copying the hashed value probably doesn't work
          if part of the hash algorithm uses the user name.
        • vax2man
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
            What are you using to edit the passwd file?

            Linux uses a different end of line character
            than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
            editing the file on a non-Linux system that
            might be the source of the problem, as it
            would change the the way Linux reads the
            file.

            If you are editing the file on a Windows
            system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:

            www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

            It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
            files in the correct format.

            Hope this helps...

            John

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
              I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
              the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
              from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
              is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
              a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
              exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
              problem, I'm just sure.

              Jamy

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004

                wrote:

                > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
                >
                > Linux uses a different end of line character
                > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
                > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
                > might be the source of the problem, as it
                > would change the the way Linux reads the
                > file.
                >
                > If you are editing the file on a Windows
                > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
                >
                > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
                >
                > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
                > files in the correct format.
                >
                > Hope this helps...
                >
                > John
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                wrote:

                > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
                > >
                > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                > >
                > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                  jamy1975 wrote:

                  >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                  >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                  >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                  >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                  >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                  >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                  >problem, I'm just sure.

                  Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
                  a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

                  In vi, the cure is:

                  vi -b passwd
                  :1,$ s/^V^M$//

                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                    In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
                    it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
                    passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
                    the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

                    -- Rick

                    Roy M. Silvernail said:

                    > jamy1975 wrote:
                    >
                    >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                    >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                    >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                    >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                    >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                    >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                    >>problem, I'm just sure.
                    >>

                    > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
                    > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
                    >
                    > In vi, the cure is:
                    >
                    > vi -b passwd
                    > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
                    >
                    > --
                    > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                    > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                    > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                    > http://www.rant-central.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • jamy1975
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                      I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
                      line solved the problem.

                      Thanks everyone for your help.

                      Jamy

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"