Re: Yasunari site available in English

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
      What did you do to get root?

      Thanks

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikewestconst"
      <cmvotava@c...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hkyee2288" <hkyee@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Craig,
      > >
      > > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive with
      > > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.
      >
      > Larry-
      >
      > No problem. I'll give you the low-down on what I did. However, I'm
      > not sure how much it will apply to you. When I did this, there was
      > no upgrade firmware available, and the old version didn't have
      > any way to get telnet or ftp access. Since I had to physically
      > remove the hard drive, I figured I might as well upgrade it as well.
      > Here's a copy of the description I posted in the "slimserver" group:
      >
      > Here's the quick-list of steps that I did:
      >
      > 1.) Buy a LinkStation & 300G Maxtor HD
      > 2.) Open the LinkStation
      > 3.) Plug the internal HD to external laptop via HD enclosure
      > 4.) Boot Knoppix from a CD on the laptop
      > 5.) Copy & run a hack program to unlock the LS root partition.
      > 6.) Copy everything from the 120G HD to the 300G HD.
      > 7.) Replace 120G with 300G (save 120G as backup)
      > 8.) Put it back together & test with new 300G HD
      > 9.) Take it back apart, mount 300G on external box running Knoppix
      > 10.) Install rpm2cpio, telnet & ftp RPMs on the root partition.
      > 11.) Put the LinkStation back together & test.
      > 12.) Create a hack directory in the shared area (/mnt/share/hack)
      > 13.) Install all the rest of the rpm's there (including slimserver)
      > 14.) Telnet to box, and run stuff from /mnt/share/hack
      >
      > Here are the places I got rpm's from:
      > http://ydl.osuosl.org/yellowdog-2.3/ppc/YellowDog/ppc/

      ftp://sunsite.sut.ac.jp/pub/archives/linux/jp-linux/Vine/Vine-2.1.5/ppc/Vine/RPMS/

> [...]
      > Linux won't recognize (I think they bumped it up or down by one). The
      > folks in Japan kindly sent me a copy of their "Fix Magic Number"
      > program that reset it to what it should be. Once it's changed,
      > you don't have to change it back, and you'll be able to mount
      > the root partition on any linux system. After that everything
      > else was easy.
      >
      > You can download the source to unlock
      > the root partition (fix_ext2_magic-1.1.i386.tar.gz) from:
      > http://bonner.s45.xrea.com/
      >
      > There are binaries too if you want.
      >
      > I was worried about the bigger drive running hotter than the smaller
      > one. It turns out that I didn't need to worry too much, but here's
      > what I did (and I would suggest you do too):
      >
      > 1.) Install the hddtemp program from:
      > http://coredump.free.fr/linux/hddtemp.php
      >
      > This will let you run the command "hddtemp /dev/hda" and it
      > will give you the current temperature (in Centigrade) read
      > from the sensor in the hard drive.
      >
      > 2.) Create a shell script that you can run from cron, which can:
      > -Check the temperature
      > -If it's above a given point, turn the fan on high
      > -Keep on checking every minute until the temp goes down
      > -Turn off the machine if the temp. gets close to the max.
      > -Creates a log so you can see some statistics on your temp.
      >
      > 3.) Run the script from cron (I run mine every 5 minutes).
      >
      > I found that the normal HD temp on my machine in my house is about
      > 42C. I set my limit to 43C so that the fan goes to high above that
      > point. The manufacturer says the maximum safe internal temp. for
      > the drive is 55C, so I shutdown at 54C.
      >
      > Here's the script that I came up with:
      >
      > #!/bin/sh
      >
      > # Run with cron
      > # min(0-59) hr(0-23) day(1-31) month(1-12) Wkday(0:Sun-6:Sat)
      > # 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /path/FanCntl.sh
      >
      > TEMPLIMIT=43
      > TEMPSHUTDOWN=54
      >
      > LOCKFILE=/tmp/HDDtemp
      > if [ -f $LOCKFILE ]
      > then
      > echo $0 already running
      > exit
      > fi
      >
      > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
      > echo "$TEMP C `date`"
      >
      > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
      > then
      > /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
      > exit 0
      > fi
      >
      > touch $LOCKFILE
      > while [ 1 ]
      > do
      > /bin/echo -n ']]]]' > /dev/ttyS1
      > sleep 60
      > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
      > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
      > then
      > echo "$TEMP C-- `date`"
      > break
      > fi
      > if [ "$TEMP" -ge $TEMPSHUTDOWN ]
      > then
      > echo "$TEMP Too High, Shutting down `date`"

    • hack_kuro_box
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2004
        Larry,

        wrote:

        > Craig,
        >
        > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive
        with
        > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

        It's very easy.
        1) Replace 120G hard drive with 250G.
        2) Install firmware update.
        You'll get LinkStation 250G!

        HKB
      • hkyee2288
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2004
          i will try that. thought it was complex. thx.
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hack_kuro_box"