Re: Yasunari site available in English

  • mikewestconst
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hkyee2288" <hkyee@h...>
      wrote:

      > Craig,
      >
      > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive with
      > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

      Larry-

      No problem. I'll give you the low-down on what I did. However, I'm
      not sure how much it will apply to you. When I did this, there was
      no upgrade firmware available, and the old version didn't have
      any way to get telnet or ftp access. Since I had to physically
      remove the hard drive, I figured I might as well upgrade it as well.
      Here's a copy of the description I posted in the "slimserver" group:

      Here's the quick-list of steps that I did:

      1.) Buy a LinkStation & 300G Maxtor HD
      2.) Open the LinkStation
      3.) Plug the internal HD to external laptop via HD enclosure
      4.) Boot Knoppix from a CD on the laptop
      5.) Copy & run a hack program to unlock the LS root partition.
      6.) Copy everything from the 120G HD to the 300G HD.
      7.) Replace 120G with 300G (save 120G as backup)
      8.) Put it back together & test with new 300G HD
      9.) Take it back apart, mount 300G on external box running Knoppix
      10.) Install rpm2cpio, telnet & ftp RPMs on the root partition.
      11.) Put the LinkStation back together & test.
      12.) Create a hack directory in the shared area (/mnt/share/hack)
      13.) Install all the rest of the rpm's there (including slimserver)
      14.) Telnet to box, and run stuff from /mnt/share/hack

      Here are the places I got rpm's from:
      http://ydl.osuosl.org/yellowdog-2.3/ppc/YellowDog/ppc/
      ftp://sunsite.sut.ac.jp/pub/archives/linux/jp-linux/Vine/Vine-2.1.5/ppc/Vine/RPMS/

      The scariest part of all this was that once I had the internal LS HD
      connected to the laptop running Knoppix, I couldn't mount the
      root partition. I tried asking the Buffalo USA folks for help, but
      they just refused to help. I finally got some folks in Japan to help
      out (they've done a LOT of LinkStation hacking) and they told me
      what was up.

      Apparently, in a move to try and lock the root partition, the Buffalo
      folks changed the magic number on the root partition to something that
      Linux won't recognize (I think they bumped it up or down by one). The
      folks in Japan kindly sent me a copy of their "Fix Magic Number"
      program that reset it to what it should be. Once it's changed,
      you don't have to change it back, and you'll be able to mount
      the root partition on any linux system. After that everything
      else was easy.

      You can download the source to unlock
      the root partition (fix_ext2_magic-1.1.i386.tar.gz) from:
      http://bonner.s45.xrea.com/

      There are binaries too if you want.

      I was worried about the bigger drive running hotter than the smaller
      one. It turns out that I didn't need to worry too much, but here's
      what I did (and I would suggest you do too):

      1.) Install the hddtemp program from:
      http://coredump.free.fr/linux/hddtemp.php

      This will let you run the command "hddtemp /dev/hda" and it
      will give you the current temperature (in Centigrade) read
      from the sensor in the hard drive.

      2.) Create a shell script that you can run from cron, which can:
      -Check the temperature
      -If it's above a given point, turn the fan on high
      -Keep on checking every minute until the temp goes down
      -Turn off the machine if the temp. gets close to the max.
      -Creates a log so you can see some statistics on your temp.

      3.) Run the script from cron (I run mine every 5 minutes).

      I found that the normal HD temp on my machine in my house is about
      42C. I set my limit to 43C so that the fan goes to high above that
      point. The manufacturer says the maximum safe internal temp. for
      the drive is 55C, so I shutdown at 54C.

      Here's the script that I came up with:

      #!/bin/sh

      # Run with cron
      # min(0-59) hr(0-23) day(1-31) month(1-12) Wkday(0:Sun-6:Sat)
      # 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /path/FanCntl.sh

      TEMPLIMIT=43
      TEMPSHUTDOWN=54

      LOCKFILE=/tmp/HDDtemp
      if [ -f $LOCKFILE ]
      then
      echo $0 already running
      exit
      fi

      TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
      echo "$TEMP C `date`"

      if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
      then
      /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
      exit 0
      fi

      touch $LOCKFILE
      while [ 1 ]
      do
      /bin/echo -n ']]]]' > /dev/ttyS1
      sleep 60
      TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
      if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
      then
      echo "$TEMP C-- `date`"
      break
      fi
      if [ "$TEMP" -ge $TEMPSHUTDOWN ]
      then
      echo "$TEMP Too High, Shutting down `date`"
      /sbin/halt
      fi
      echo "$TEMP C++ `date`"
      done

      /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
      rm -f $LOCKFILE
      exit 0

      I think that's everything.

      -Craig
    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
        What did you do to get root?

        Thanks

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikewestconst"
        <cmvotava@c...> wrote:

> [...]
        > exit
        > fi
        >
        > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
        > echo "$TEMP C `date`"
        >
        > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
        > then
        > /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
        > exit 0
        > fi
        >
        > touch $LOCKFILE
        > while [ 1 ]
        > do
        > /bin/echo -n ']]]]' > /dev/ttyS1
        > sleep 60
        > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
        > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
        > then
        > echo "$TEMP C-- `date`"
        > break
        > fi
        > if [ "$TEMP" -ge $TEMPSHUTDOWN ]
        > then
        > echo "$TEMP Too High, Shutting down `date`"

      • hack_kuro_box
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2004
          Larry,

          wrote:

          > Craig,
          >
          > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive
          with
          > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

          It's very easy.
          1) Replace 120G hard drive with 250G.
          2) Install firmware update.
          You'll get LinkStation 250G!

          HKB
        • hkyee2288
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2004
            i will try that. thought it was complex. thx.
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hack_kuro_box"