LS120 -> SlimServer

  • pbinks
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
      I've read quite a few messages on this forum and what I'd like to do
      is upgrade the firmware on my 1.30 LS120 so I can run it as a
      Slimserver, and it appears as though this is possible from some of
      the postings.

      The first problem I have is getting hold of a copy of suitable
      firmware with the ability to enable telnet. Is anyone able to help
      with this first problem? I'm prepared to host this file plus any
      others for other people on an ftp site if that's the best way to get
      files since the file space on this forum is quite limited.

      I'm sure there will be other questions along the way to setting up
      my Slimserver :-)

      Regards,
      Paul
    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
        pbinks wrote:

        > The first problem I have is getting hold of a copy of suitable
        > firmware with the ability to enable telnet. Is anyone able to help
        > with this first problem?

        The *only* firmware that I've been able to find is the
        1.45_13 firmware. This firmware supports the telnet hack.

        You can get it at these places:

        http://members.lycos.co.uk/linkstationfw14513/
        http://bfidler.fast24.co.uk/
        http://lsfwup.freefronthost.com/

        Hosting an image would be nice, especially if you can
        set up a torrent.

        If Buffalo would host these images itself, we wouldn't
        have to go through this.

        - Tim
      • Tim Lewis
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
          Hi all,

          I've be trying for several days now to track down a couple of the
          firmware updates. The only firmware that I've been able to
          successfully download is the 1.45_13 firmware.

          At this point I am particularly interested in the 1.44 firmware
          (what my box came with), and the 1.46 (latest) firmware.

          I have been unable to find the 1.44 firmware anywhere, and the
          link in the "files" section of the Yahoo group is dead.

          I have also tried to download the 1.46 firmware from the Buffalo FTP
          server at 206.135.38.243. I can log into their FTP server, and when I do
          I see one directory called, "HD-HLAN Firmware Final 10_28_04". When I try
          to cd to that directory, however, I get an access denied error.

          Does anyone know where I can get these two firmware updates? Would
          someone who has them be willing to send them to me or let me download
          them?

          - Tim
        • onesgc
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
            The 1.46 firmware is at the ftp server address in your question.
            When the log on screen comes up, use "public" for the user name
            and "new stuff" for the password. This info can be found by
            searching this group. I have not seen any recent working links to
            1.44.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
            wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I've be trying for several days now to track down a couple of the
            > firmware updates. The only firmware that I've been able to
            > successfully download is the 1.45_13 firmware.
            >
            > At this point I am particularly interested in the 1.44 firmware
            > (what my box came with), and the 1.46 (latest) firmware.
            >
            > I have been unable to find the 1.44 firmware anywhere, and the
            > link in the "files" section of the Yahoo group is dead.
            >
            > I have also tried to download the 1.46 firmware from the Buffalo
            FTP
            > server at 206.135.38.243. I can log into their FTP server, and
            when I do
            > I see one directory called, "HD-HLAN Firmware Final 10_28_04".
            When I try
            > to cd to that directory, however, I get an access denied error.
            >
            > Does anyone know where I can get these two firmware updates? Would
            > someone who has them be willing to send them to me or let me
            download
            > them?
            >
            > - Tim
          • Tim Lewis
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
              onesgc wrote:

              > The 1.46 firmware is at the ftp server address in your question.
              > When the log on screen comes up, use "public" for the user name
              > and "new stuff" for the password. This info can be found by
              > searching this group.

              Yeah, I know. How do you think I managed to LOG IN? ;)

              The issue is that the "public" account doesn't have access to the
              directory that the firmware is in.

              In other words, the error that I get is a, "550 Access denied",
              error and *NOT* a, "530 Password not accepted", error.

              Thanks, BTW.

              - Tim
            • Tim Lewis
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15, 2005
                Tim Lewis wrote:

                > In other words, the error that I get is a, "550 Access denied",
                > error and *NOT* a, "530 Password not accepted", error.

                Yes, I'm replying to myself.

                I just tried again right now, and this time, I only sometimes get
                this error. I had to make multiple attempts. It was kind of
                comical: "Access denied", "Access denied", "Access denied",
                "Directory changed to..."

                I'm wondering I just produced enough errors in their logs
                that they fixed it.

                Anyway, I have the 1.46 firmware now. If anyone has problems
                getting it for themselves, let me know and I'll get it
                to you somehow.

                Thanks,

                - Tim
              • born_daniel
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 16, 2005
                  Tim,
                  I have fw_up144_15.zip here if you need it... It's big though (38mb)
                  http://storage.born-sigouin.net/fw_up144_15.zip

                  This is not permanent storage so it'll be at this address for a
                  while (can't garantee how long), so if you need it, grab it now! :)

                  Daniel
                  P.S. This is directly downloaded from the Buffalo site a while back
                  and it's the file I used to upgrade my LS from 1.43 (it has telnet
                  enabled)... I did not re-download it to confirm the upload was
                  successful. The zip file integrity check should take care of any
                  file corruption...

                  wrote:
                  > Tim Lewis wrote:
                  > >
                  > > In other words, the error that I get is a, "550 Access denied",
                  > > error and *NOT* a, "530 Password not accepted", error.
                  >
                  > Yes, I'm replying to myself.
                  >
                  > I just tried again right now, and this time, I only sometimes get
                  > this error. I had to make multiple attempts. It was kind of
                  > comical: "Access denied", "Access denied", "Access denied",
                  > "Directory changed to..."
                  >
                  > I'm wondering I just produced enough errors in their logs
                  > that they fixed it.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I have the 1.46 firmware now. If anyone has problems
                  > getting it for themselves, let me know and I'll get it
                  > to you somehow.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > - Tim
                • Tim Lewis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16, 2005
                    born_daniel wrote:

                    > I have fw_up144_15.zip here if you need it... It's big though (38mb)
                    > http://storage.born-sigouin.net/fw_up144_15.zip

                    Hi! Thanks for putting that up, I really appreciate it.

                    Unfortunately, by the time I was able to download it,
                    your website had already gone over its daily transfer limit.

                    I'll try again tomorrow.

                    Thanks,
                    Tim
                  • born_daniel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 16, 2005
                      Oh, I didn't know there was one (unless already 100 people
                      downloaded the file!) ;-)
                      It should be good for at least a week...?

                      Regards,
                      Daniel

                      wrote:
                      > born_daniel wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have fw_up144_15.zip here if you need it... It's big though
                      (38mb)
                      > > http://storage.born-sigouin.net/fw_up144_15.zip
                      >
                      > Hi! Thanks for putting that up, I really appreciate it.
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, by the time I was able to download it,
                      > your website had already gone over its daily transfer limit.
                      >
                      > I'll try again tomorrow.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Tim
                    • W
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2005
                        Site says file not available :( any other locations?
                        Thnx
                        Smitty

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                        <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

                        > Oh, I didn't know there was one (unless already 100 people
                        > downloaded the file!) ;-)
                        > It should be good for at least a week...?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Daniel
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > born_daniel wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I have fw_up144_15.zip here if you need it... It's big though
                        > (38mb)
                        > > > http://storage.born-sigouin.net/fw_up144_15.zip
                        > >
                        > > Hi! Thanks for putting that up, I really appreciate it.
                        > >
                        > > Unfortunately, by the time I was able to download it,
                        > > your website had already gone over its daily transfer limit.
                        > >
                        > > I'll try again tomorrow.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Tim
                      • born_daniel
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 19, 2005
                          Unfortunately I had to take the file down after it got blocked for
                          too much traffic on the same day... This is not my web site, I'm
                          using a friend's... If anyone is interested in hosting the file,
                          please contact my by e-mail and will give you indications on how to
                          retrieve it.

                          Sorry but I had no choice...
                          Daniel

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "W" <smitty3572@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > Site says file not available :( any other locations?
                          > Thnx
                          > Smitty
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                          > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Oh, I didn't know there was one (unless already 100 people
                          > > downloaded the file!) ;-)
                          > > It should be good for at least a week...?
                          > >
                          > > Regards,
                          > > Daniel
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
                          <spurp@c...>
                          > > wrote:

                          > > (38mb)
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi! Thanks for putting that up, I really appreciate it.
                          > > >
                          > > > Unfortunately, by the time I was able to download it,
                          > > > your website had already gone over its daily transfer limit.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'll try again tomorrow.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > > Tim
                        • pbinks
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 22, 2005
                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "W" <smitty3572@y...> wrote:

                            > Site says file not available :( any other locations?
                            > Thnx
                            > Smitty

                            yep... I said I'd host files, so currently only the firmware is there,
                            but try http://www.lsfiles.co.uk

                            Paul