Delete Files

  • loosegroove2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2005
      I just purchased a Buffalo LinkStation 120GB unit and I have it up and
      running ok. I can backup files to the hard drive but when I try to
      delete a file from the hard drive I receive the following message:

      [quote]
      Cannot delete [filename]: Access is denied.

      Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
      and that the file is not currently in use.
      [/quote]

      Any ideas why I can't delete files located on the LinkStation?
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2005
        > I just purchased a Buffalo LinkStation 120GB unit and I have it up and
        > running ok. I can backup files to the hard drive but when I try to
        > delete a file from the hard drive I receive the following message:
        >
        > [quote]
        > Cannot delete [filename]: Access is denied.
        >
        > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
        > and that the file is not currently in use.
        > [/quote]
        >
        > Any ideas why I can't delete files located on the LinkStation?

        Try refreshing your view. Perhaps the file/directory is already deleted but
        windows forgot to update it's view.

        JR
      • loosegroove2000
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2005
          <jronald@c...> wrote:
          > Try refreshing your view. Perhaps the file/directory is already
          deleted but
          > windows forgot to update it's view.
          >
          > JR

          Thank you for your quick response. But that's not the problem. This
          happens with any file and from any of the computers I connect with on
          the network.

          I can copy files to the drive just fine, I just can't delete them.
        • loosegroove2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2005
            Anyone??? I'm using Windows XP Pro SP 2 to connect with. The
            Linkstation firmware came with 1.43 and I have not updated it.
            Should I? Will that fix this problem?

            I don't have any restrictions on the share I'm working on but it's
            like I don't have full permissions on the share. I've tried right
            clicking on the mapped drive and changing permissions there but they
            don't take. I could be doing something wrong as well.

            Please help. Surely it isn't the default behaviour to not be able to
            delete files once they are on the drive. Just doesn't make sense.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "loosegroove2000"

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2005
              <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:

              > Anyone??? I'm using Windows XP Pro SP 2 to connect with. The
              > Linkstation firmware came with 1.43 and I have not updated it.
              > Should I? Will that fix this problem?
              >
              > I don't have any restrictions on the share I'm working on but it's
              > like I don't have full permissions on the share. I've tried right
              > clicking on the mapped drive and changing permissions there but they
              > don't take. I could be doing something wrong as well.
              >
              > Please help. Surely it isn't the default behaviour to not be able to
              > delete files once they are on the drive. Just doesn't make sense.

              I upgraded the firmware to 1.46 and that fixed the problem.
            • Paul Milligan (home)
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2005
                On the Japanese website a note attached to the 1.45 software said "fixes problem
                with SP2"; however it did not state the problem (or the translation failed
                to be intelligible).

                So I would definitely upgrade to 1.45

                <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:

                > I just purchased a Buffalo LinkStation 120GB unit and I have it up
                and
                > running ok.  I can backup files to the hard drive but when I try to
                > delete a file from the hard drive I receive the following message:
                >
                > [quote]
                > Cannot delete [filename]: Access is denied.
                >
                > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
                > and that the file is not currently in use.
                > [/quote]
                >
                > Any ideas why I can't delete files located on the LinkStation?

              • chano22000
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2005
                  Translation of the Web site :
                  Ver 1.44 - 1.45
                  The problem which with Windows XP SP2 cannot use trash box function
                  was corrected.

                  The trash function does not work well with the 1.45_13 firmware. (US
                  version) even with XP SP1.
                  The function is reimplemented in 1.46_10 where samba now uses the
                  VFS recycle bin (recycle.so).
                  As far as I know, other modification in the 1.46 (according to a
                  diff posted by one of the forum members) :
                  1) corrects a bug in the ftp configuration file used by the ftp
                  server (proftpd) when using groups for controlling access to shares.
                  2) redesigns time management (GMT versus localtime,the /etc/timezone
                  bug which prevents the daily ntp update to work)
                  3) modifies the logrotate fonction that handles the log files
                  (automatic compression and deletion)

                  Keep in mind that 1.46 has telnet disabled. You can restore it from
                  previous telnet enabled firmware by saving telnet related files and
                  creating symbolic links to /etc, /bin ... from a /mnt/share (see one
                  of my previous posts and stratmoens detailed implementation.)

                  Regards.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"
                  <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                  > On the Japanese website a note attached to the 1.45 software
                  said "fixes
                  > problem
                  > with SP2"; however it did not state the problem (or the
                  translation failed
                  > to be intelligible).
                  >
                  > So I would definitely upgrade to 1.45
                  >
                  > loosegroove2000 wrote:
                  >

                  > > Anyone??? I'm using Windows XP Pro SP 2 to connect with. The
                  > > Linkstation firmware came with 1.43 and I have not updated it.
                  > > Should I? Will that fix this problem?
                  > >
                  > > I don't have any restrictions on the share I'm working on but
                  it's
                  > > like I don't have full permissions on the share. I've tried
                  right
                  > > clicking on the mapped drive and changing permissions there but
                  they
                  > > don't take. I could be doing something wrong as well.
                  > >
                  > > Please help. Surely it isn't the default behaviour to not be
                  able to
                  > > delete files once they are on the drive. Just doesn't make
                  sense.

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "loosegroove2000"
                  > > <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just purchased a Buffalo LinkStation 120GB unit and I have
                  it up
                  > > and
                  > > > running ok. I can backup files to the hard drive but when I
                  try to
                  > > > delete a file from the hard drive I receive the following
                  message:

                  > > > [quote]
                  > > > Cannot delete [filename]: Access is denied.
                  > > >
                  > > > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
                  > > > and that the file is not currently in use.
                  > > > [/quote]
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas why I can't delete files located on the LinkStation?
                  > >

                  > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                • Ewald Muessig
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 27, 2005
                    Hi,

                    I wanted to upgrade the firmware of my HD-HG300LAN. The progress
                    inidcator of the firmware installer went up to the end, then I
                    got an error message that the upgrade failed.

                    Now, the diag LED blinks 5 times, then a small pause and 5 times
                    again ...

                    Anything I can do?

                    Ewald
                  • Arias Hung
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 28, 2005
                      On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Ewald Muessig delivered in simple text monotone:

                      >Hi,
                      >
                      >I wanted to upgrade the firmware of my HD-HG300LAN. The progress
                      >inidcator of the firmware installer went up to the end, then I
                      >got an error message that the upgrade failed.
                      >
                      >Now, the diag LED blinks 5 times, then a small pause and 5 times
                      >again ...
                      >
                      >Anything I can do?
                      >
                      >Ewald

                      Hellacious.

                      The dreaded five diag blink. Too bad kuro forums aren't back up since there have been a number of us with that problem before.

                      Try the various tricks to attempt to force it into EM mode. Make sure to completely power cycle each time you try. For some reason, if you plug it back in too fast it won't properly power cycle. Give it at least a few minutes between powering it on.

                      First thing, try to power cycle with the back button pressed in. See if that forces into EM mode.

                      If that doesn't work, then you'll have to open it up (not sure if that kills your warranty on the linkstatation. If it does, you might have to RMA) and remove the drive and put in a blank drive in order to force into EM mode.

                      I've attached a uartd.txt that has some EM mode info that you may want to try.