problem with root

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
      I bought a linkstation 160, and I followed the instructions to get
      root access. However when I try to telnet to the linkstation as root
      I get the following:

      Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #990 2004╟» 5╖ε
      21╞ⁿ ╢Γ═╦╞ⁿ
      13:39:00 JST ppc unknown
      : No such file or directory

      Connection to host lost.

      Does anyone know what this means or have any suggestions?

      Thanks
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
        Jamy,

        Make sure the entry you added/updated looks like the following where XXXXX
        is the known encrypted password.

        root:XXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

        JR

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
          It looks to me like his shell is set improperly -- Did you by chance
          change the path to the shell
          as well? I believe most "login" processes will just kick you out of
          the shell path/name is bogus.

          Notice the message "No such file or directory".. Go back and check the
          shell path that is specified
          for root.. I'll be its wrong

          -- Rick

          On Oct 25, 2004, at 8:14 AM, James Ronald wrote:

          > Jamy,
          >
          > Make sure the entry you added/updated looks like the following where
          > XXXXX
          > is the known encrypted password.
          >
          > root:XXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
          >
          > JR

        • jamy1975
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
            My passwd file is as follows. I have of course replaced the passwords
            with X's. The paths loo the same to me, so I have no idea what is
            causing this.

            root:XXXXXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
            bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
            daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
            sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
            adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
            sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
            shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
            halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
            operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
            ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
            nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
            myroot:XXXXXXXX:100:1000::/home:/bin/bash

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            wrote:
            > It looks to me like his shell is set improperly -- Did you by chance
            > change the path to the shell
            > as well? I believe most "login" processes will just kick you out of
            > the shell path/name is bogus.
            >
            > Notice the message "No such file or directory".. Go back and check the
            > shell path that is specified
            > for root.. I'll be its wrong
            >
            > -- Rick
            >
            > On Oct 25, 2004, at 8:14 AM, James Ronald wrote:
            >

            > > Jamy,
            > >
            > > Make sure the entry you added/updated looks like the following where
            > > XXXXX
            > > is the known encrypted password.
            > >
            > > root:XXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
            > >
            > > JR

          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
              I don't remember but I may have had to create the /root directory.

              mkdir /root

              JR

              wrote:
              > It looks to me like his shell is set improperly -- Did you by chance
              > change the path to the shell
              > as well? I believe most "login" processes will just kick you out of
              > the shell path/name is bogus.
              >
              > Notice the message "No such file or directory".. Go back and check the
              > shell path that is specified
              > for root.. I'll be its wrong
              >
              > -- Rick
              >
              > On Oct 25, 2004, at 8:14 AM, James Ronald wrote:
              >

              > > Jamy,
              > >
              > > Make sure the entry you added/updated looks like the following where
              > > XXXXX
              > > is the known encrypted password.
              > >
              > > root:XXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
              > >
              > > JR

            • Rick Flower
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                I'll also assume that your passwords are hashed and they you didn't put
                your plain-text passwords directly
                in the passwd file.

                Does your root account have a .login or .profile that is being run when
                you login?

                Also, check to make sure all paths listed in passwd for the root
                account are valid -- does /root exist?

                How about the shell? Is there a /bin/bash?

                -- Rick

                On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:02 PM, jamy1975 wrote:

                > My passwd file is as follows. I have of course replaced the passwords
                > with X's. The paths loo the same to me, so I have no idea what is
                > causing this.
                >
                > root:XXXXXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                > myroot:XXXXXXXX:100:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                > wrote:
                >> It looks to me like his shell is set improperly -- Did you by chance
                >> change the path to the shell
                >> as well? I believe most "login" processes will just kick you out of
                >> the shell path/name is bogus.
                >>
                >> Notice the message "No such file or directory".. Go back and check the
                >> shell path that is specified
                >> for root.. I'll be its wrong
                >>
                >> -- Rick
                >>
                >> On Oct 25, 2004, at 8:14 AM, James Ronald wrote:
                >>

                >>> Jamy,
                >>>
                >>> Make sure the entry you added/updated looks like the following where
                >>> XXXXX
                >>> is the known encrypted password.
                >>>
                >>> root:XXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                >>>
                >>> JR

              • jamy1975
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                  The /root directory is there and so is /bin/bash

                  The one thing I found was that the passwd- had a different password
                  hash than the account I created with the same password. I fixed the
                  passwd- file and still no luck telneting as root.

                  Any other ideas?

                • jamy1975
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                    Well.. I'm about to give up and take the linkstation back and get a
                    Kuro or mini itx system. Taking it back would be unfortunate as I
                    could really use the extra 160 HD that is included.

                    I have no tried copyin the password from three different accounts to
                    the root account. It never works. I continue to get the same error.

                    I have the 1.44 firmware. I am starting to wonder if they somehow
                    locked down root via the onboard rom.

                    Any ideas at this point, would be greatly appreciated.

                    wrote:
                    > I'll also assume that your passwords are hashed and they you didn't put
                    > your plain-text passwords directly
                    > in the passwd file.
                    >
                    > Does your root account have a .login or .profile that is being run when
                    > you login?
                    >
                    > Also, check to make sure all paths listed in passwd for the root
                    > account are valid -- does /root exist?
                    >
                    > How about the shell? Is there a /bin/bash?
                    >
                    > -- Rick
                    >
                    > On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:02 PM, jamy1975 wrote:
                    >

                    > > My passwd file is as follows. I have of course replaced the passwords
                    > > with X's. The paths loo the same to me, so I have no idea what is
                    > > causing this.
                    > >
                    > > root:XXXXXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                    > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                    > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                    > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                    > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                    > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                    > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                    > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                    > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                    > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                    > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                    > > myroot:XXXXXXXX:100:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >> It looks to me like his shell is set improperly -- Did you by chance
                    > >> change the path to the shell
                    > >> as well? I believe most "login" processes will just kick you out of
                    > >> the shell path/name is bogus.
                    > >>
                    > >> Notice the message "No such file or directory".. Go back and
                    check the
                    > >> shell path that is specified
                    > >> for root.. I'll be its wrong
                    > >>
                    > >> -- Rick

                  • jamy1975
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                      Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd

                      root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                      bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                      daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                      sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                      adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                      sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                      shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                      halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                      operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                      ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                      nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                      jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                      myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                      test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash

                      can anyone see anything wrong with it?

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

                      > Well.. I'm about to give up and take the linkstation back and get a
                      > Kuro or mini itx system. Taking it back would be unfortunate as I
                      > could really use the extra 160 HD that is included.
                      >
                      > I have no tried copyin the password from three different accounts to
                      > the root account. It never works. I continue to get the same error.
                      >
                      > I have the 1.44 firmware. I am starting to wonder if they somehow
                      > locked down root via the onboard rom.
                      >
                      > Any ideas at this point, would be greatly appreciated.
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I'll also assume that your passwords are hashed and they you
                      didn't put
                      > > your plain-text passwords directly
                      > > in the passwd file.
                      > >
                      > > Does your root account have a .login or .profile that is being run
                      when
                      > > you login?
                      > >
                      > > Also, check to make sure all paths listed in passwd for the root
                      > > account are valid -- does /root exist?
                      > >
                      > > How about the shell? Is there a /bin/bash?
                      > >
                      > > -- Rick
                      > >
                      > > On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:02 PM, jamy1975 wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > My passwd file is as follows. I have of course replaced the
                      passwords
                      > > > with X's. The paths loo the same to me, so I have no idea what is
                      > > > causing this.
                      > > >
                      > > > root:XXXXXXXX:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                      > > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                      > > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                      > > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                      > > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                      > > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                      > > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                      > > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                      > > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                      > > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                      > > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                      > > > myroot:XXXXXXXX:100:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>

                      > check the

                    • sneed_siding
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                        I think I just deleted the root password
                        (root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash). This lets you log in with no
                        password. Then use the passwd program to reset the password to the
                        desired secret word. Copying the hashed value probably doesn't work
                        if part of the hash algorithm uses the user name.
                      • vax2man
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                          What are you using to edit the passwd file?

                          Linux uses a different end of line character
                          than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
                          editing the file on a non-Linux system that
                          might be the source of the problem, as it
                          would change the the way Linux reads the
                          file.

                          If you are editing the file on a Windows
                          system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:

                          www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

                          It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
                          files in the correct format.

                          Hope this helps...

                          John

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                            I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                            the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                            from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                            is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                            a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                            exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                            problem, I'm just sure.

                            Jamy

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004

                              wrote:

                              > What are you using to edit the passwd file?
                              >
                              > Linux uses a different end of line character
                              > than either Windows or Mac OS. If you are
                              > editing the file on a non-Linux system that
                              > might be the source of the problem, as it
                              > would change the the way Linux reads the
                              > file.
                              >
                              > If you are editing the file on a Windows
                              > system try using an editor like EditPad Lite:
                              >
                              > www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
                              >
                              > It supports reading and writing UNIX/Linux
                              > files in the correct format.
                              >
                              > Hope this helps...
                              >
                              > John
                              >

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                              wrote:

                              > > Here is a copy of my /etc/passwd
                              > >
                              > > root:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
                              > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
                              > > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                              > > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                              > > adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                              > > sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
                              > > shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
                              > > halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
                              > > operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
                              > > ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/usr/sbin:/bin/false
                              > > nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
                              > > jamy:1VrFX6WtBrnNE:101:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                              > > myroot:0gN.HbHXk0/rE:102:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                              > > test:LpAYzKZlzOgaM:103:1000::/home:/bin/bash
                              > >
                              > > can anyone see anything wrong with it?

                            • Roy M. Silvernail
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                                jamy1975 wrote:

                                >I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                                >the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                                >from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                                >is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                                >a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                                >exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                                >problem, I'm just sure.

                                Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
                                a shell named "/bin/bash^M".

                                In vi, the cure is:

                                vi -b passwd
                                :1,$ s/^V^M$//

                                --
                                Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                                "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                                  In my case (and many others I suspect), they removed the drive and plugged
                                  it into another Linux box and mounted the drive that way to update the
                                  passwd file. This eliminates the possibility of having ^M's on the end of
                                  the lines (unless you're using a non unix editor).

                                  -- Rick

                                  Roy M. Silvernail said:

                                  > jamy1975 wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>I have been using Vi on my redhat box to edit the file. I then copy
                                  >>the file over to the sahre on the linkstation and then runa script
                                  >>from cgi-bin3 to copy the file to /etc. The one thing I noitced that
                                  >>is kind of odd is that at the end of the lines in the file there is
                                  >>a ^M at the end of every line, but the user I added. The ^M doesn't
                                  >>exist in the /etc/passwd file on my redaht box, so this may be the
                                  >>problem, I'm just sure.
                                  >>

                                  > Yep, that's it. When you try to SSH in as root, the LS tries to fire up
                                  > a shell named "/bin/bash^M".
                                  >
                                  > In vi, the cure is:
                                  >
                                  > vi -b passwd
                                  > :1,$ s/^V^M$//
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                                  > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                                  > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                                  > http://www.rant-central.com
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • jamy1975
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 26, 2004
                                    I am happy to report that getting rid of the ^M at the end of each
                                    line solved the problem.

                                    Thanks everyone for your help.

                                    Jamy

                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"