Re: increase memory?

  • irvine_stock
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3 2:08 PM
      Paul
      Soldering in the RAM (if you could) will not increase your memory
      size from 64Mbytes to 128Mbytes. The memory is currently configured
      for 32 bits. To upgrade the memory to 128Mbytes (like the Kuro/HG
      is) you have to go to 64 bits. The processor has another mode for
      this. One of the unstuffed resistors on the board will no doubt
      switch it over. When I get my new SDRAM's "next week" I will
      install them and figure it out. I have been waiting for the memory
      to arrive for months. I keep hearing "next week". :-(
      But free SDRAM is hard to find. About $7.00 each if you can find a
      place to buy them.
      I will post the results if I get there before somebody else. It
      does not look like rocket science!!!
      It will also be interesting to see if we get better performance with
      a 64 bit memory bus.
      Rich
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

    • Paul Milligan (home)

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4 5:57 AM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"
          <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:

          Hi there,

          I did some research which chips could be used to increase memory. The
          following types should be compatible to those already soldered:

          Hynix HY57V561620CT (-7)
          Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E)
          Infineon HYB39S256160DT (-7)

          They are organised in 4Meg x 4 Banks x 16 Bits (32MByte per Chip).

          They can be found on old PC133-128MB SDRAM (not DDRAM!) DIMM Modules.
          It is possible to extract them from PCB using a hot-air-gun. You have
          to take care of not overheating the chips by doing this. The air
          should not exceed 400°C and the process should not last longer than 8
          to 10s. Most chips survive this without problems (I already tried this
          in other projects). Those DIMM modules are cheap and easy to get (used
          ones for 10€ apiece = 4 chips). I disassembled such a DIMM module and
          have now 4 of such chips for further experiments.

          If we could know the Linkstation memory organization, it would be easy
          to solder them on board. It is not necessary to use a 64 Bit bus for
          128 MByte memory. There could also be some kind of memory address
          decoder. Next week I have some time to do some measurements to clear
          this up. Perhaps someone did this already and could share his
          investigations. Especially interesting are these two resistors near
          the RAMS (switches??, extra decoder lines??).

          Best regards

          /Frank.
        • irvine_stock
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4 10:31 PM
            Paul,
            I can get them here in the states but small quantity are frowned
            upon. They want to sell thousands. Being an Engineer I can get
            samples and small quantities for proto runs.
            Maybe if I can get it working I can send you some.
            I would be surprised if you could remove those SDRAMs from a DIMM.
            They usually are glued on with some solder paste and stuff so they
            need the right equipment. Hot air is the best for me.
            How much would it cost to send 2 to UK from California anyway?
            I should get them on Monday and we will see...
            Rich
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4 11:19 PM
              Frank,
              I was going to blast you for throwing out so much misinformation
              after I just stated how it is connected as 64 bits. Then I figured
              you would just throw it back at me.
              So instead:
              This processor must be connected up as 64 bits to get 128Mbytes.
              While it would be possible to connect up 32 bits to the PPC, this
              PCB is not setup that way. I don't think anybody wants to wire two
              50+ pin ICs with jumper wires. The other chip selects are not
              exposed.
              The two installed memories are not on the same data bits as the two
              that are missing. Obviously this means it is 64 bits. The address
              lines are the same for all 4 SDRAMs. In fact I also have some
              larger SDRAMs with same pinout that I will be putting on my KuroBox
              after I get four of the regular ones working. I don't know if the
              software will initialize the larger SDRAMs or four smaller ones.
              But its worth a try and it will probably just not work if I'm wrong.
              I figure most folks will not want to remove the two RAMs that are
              currently there. So I am working on the easy solution first.
              No research is needed to figure out which SDRAMs you need to add.
              They must be the same as the ones already there. Mixing will
              usually not work unless the loader (kernel) was very well
              programmed. They all have different programming and timing issues.
              All five of my boxes have Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E). Everybody
              else should check there's and only use the same ones. I already
              know there is no decoder or spare address lines on the board. The
              PPC does not need them.
              And those two resistors appear to be the programming resistors for
              the SDRAM and flash. One will enable the 4 SDRAMS and the other
              will program the two FLASH devices for 64 bits too. Flash will be
              interesting since it will require a reprogramming of the current
              parts. But until I get SDRAMs into mine, I can't say for sure on
              the resistors. Buffalo forgot to mark them for us :-)
              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "freifegerste"
              <printmaster@i...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"
              > <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > Hi there,
              >
              > I did some research which chips could be used to increase memory.
              The
              > following types should be compatible to those already soldered:
              >
              > Hynix HY57V561620CT (-7)
              > Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E)
              > Infineon HYB39S256160DT (-7)
              >
              > They are organised in 4Meg x 4 Banks x 16 Bits (32MByte per Chip).
              >
              > They can be found on old PC133-128MB SDRAM (not DDRAM!) DIMM
              Modules.
              > It is possible to extract them from PCB using a hot-air-gun. You
              have
              > to take care of not overheating the chips by doing this. The air
              > should not exceed 400°C and the process should not last longer
              than 8
              > to 10s. Most chips survive this without problems (I already tried
              this
              > in other projects). Those DIMM modules are cheap and easy to get
              (used
              > ones for 10€ apiece = 4 chips). I disassembled such a DIMM module
              and
              > have now 4 of such chips for further experiments.
              >
              > If we could know the Linkstation memory organization, it would be
              easy
              > to solder them on board. It is not necessary to use a 64 Bit bus
              for
              > 128 MByte memory. There could also be some kind of memory address
              > decoder. Next week I have some time to do some measurements to
              clear
              > this up. Perhaps someone did this already and could share his
              > investigations. Especially interesting are these two resistors near
              > the RAMS (switches??, extra decoder lines??).
              >
              > Best regards
              >
              > /Frank.
            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 10 12:21 AM
                Paul,
                Finally got my SDRAM in. I installed both SDRAM's. Same speed and
                type as the originals. Turned the board on and it still works
                fine. :)
                However it does not see the other two SDRAM's. That was pretty much
                expected. The board had to be configured for 32 bits somehow. I
                confirmed it is connected up as either 32 bit or 64 bit.
                One 1K resistor decides if its 64Mbytes or 128Mbytes. The resistor
                in forces 32 bit mode. Taking the resistor out forces 64 bit mode.
                Well 64bit mode only makes the unit hang until the watchdog timer
                kills the power. No uart access at all.
                Couple of possibilities I see at this point.
                1) The firmware does not allow 64 bit mode.
                2) I didn't get it into 64 bit mode.
                3) SDRAM could be bad or soldered wrong. (not likely)
                Since the Kuro/HG does support 4 SDRAM's it could still be either 1
                or 2. Will have to spend some more time researching other
                possibilities. Trying to use my wiggler on the JTAG to access the
                memory and decode if the memory size is changing right.

                During this execise I also confirmed that the Flash @IC18 is used as
                8 bit, not 16 as I saw reported somewhere (I think here).
                To much misinformation is reported. If you don't know then don't
                say you do know. Say your guessing or your sons girlfiend who is a
                biology major thinks so. :-)
                Yes the flash is a 16 bit part but its shorted to byte mode. Its
                chip select is connected to RCS0 for access. The flash at IC19 (if
                installed) is connected up in parallel with the exception it uses
                RCS1 for access. So both parts can be installed together. If more
                Flash is needed it looks pretty simple to solder it in. But they
                both are still 8 bit.
                Rich

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

              • Marc Bizer
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 16 7:54 PM
                  Hi everyone,

                  Though utter stupidity, I just clobbered my /usr/local/bin
                  subdirectory. I have no idea what was in it before, but what can I do
                  to restore it?

                  --Marc
                • Tim Lewis
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 16 8:10 PM
                    Marc Bizer wrote:

                    > Though utter stupidity, I just clobbered my /usr/local/bin
                    > subdirectory. I have no idea what was in it before, but what can I do
                    > to restore it?

                    What firmware do you have? In the 1.45_13 firmware, there is no
                    "/usr/local/bin". Did you clobber "/usr/local"? The only thing that's
                    in there are printer definitions.

                    You can probably restore it by doing another firmware install.
                    If you can't do that I can send you a tar of the directory.

                    Let me know...

                    - Tim
                  • Marc Bizer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 16 8:14 PM
                      On 2/16/05 at 11:10 PM -0500, Tim Lewis wrote:
                      >What firmware do you have? In the 1.45_13 firmware, there is no
                      >"/usr/local/bin". Did you clobber "/usr/local"? The only thing that's
                      >in there are printer definitions.

                      I have 1.44, but I think that my update to netatalk 2.0.2 installed
                      stuff in /usr/local/bin. I'm going to do another ./configure, make,
                      and make install to see if that restores stuff.

                      Thanks for your help!

                      --Marc
                    • Marc Bizer
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 16 8:30 PM

                        In my /var/log/messages, I'm seeing errors like this:

                        Feb 16 22:26:24 TREE250 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
                        reached, running e2fsck is recommended

                        Any idea why? Has anyone else seen this?

                        --Marc
                      • Tim Lewis
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 16 9:21 PM
                          Marc Bizer wrote:
                          > In my /var/log/messages, I'm seeing errors like this:
                          >
                          > Feb 16 22:26:24 TREE250 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
                          > reached, running e2fsck is recommended
                          >
                          > Any idea why? Has anyone else seen this?

                          Yes, only every time I'm in hurry to boot a Linux system!!! :)

                          This is a fairly routine message and is nothing to worry
                          about. It's just a little reminder for Linux that it needs
                          to perform a filesystem check.

                          Linux keeps a count of how many times it mounts its partitions.
                          Usually during boot, Linux checks to see how many times a
                          partition has been mounted, and if this value equals the
                          "maximum mount count" for the partition, it performs a file
                          system check. The boot sequence pauses while the file system
                          check is performed, and continues when it is finished. When
                          you're in a hurry to boot a Linux machine, and this occurs,
                          the wait can be maddening, which is why this is often referred
                          to as, "losing the lottery".

                          Try restarting your LinkStation, and see if it takes longer to
                          boot (i.e. it performs a check). You shouldn't see those messages
                          for a while after that. If this doesn't fix the problem, you can run
                          a disk check from the administration page. That should make the
                          messages go away for a while.

                          You can view when the next time this is going to occur
                          with "/sbin/tune2fs -l /dev/hda3". You can also set the,
                          "maximum mount count", as well as the, "mount count", using
                          tune2fs, but I don't recommend doing this, especially not on
                          a mounted filesystem.

                          I'm on 19 out of 24 mounts, so I'll be doing this soon, too.

                          - Tim
                        • James Ronald
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 27, 2005
                            > Finally got my SDRAM in. I installed both SDRAM's. Same speed and
                            > type as the originals. Turned the board on and it still works
                            > fine. :)
                            > However it does not see the other two SDRAM's. That was pretty much
                            > expected. The board had to be configured for 32 bits somehow. I
                            > confirmed it is connected up as either 32 bit or 64 bit.
                            > One 1K resistor decides if its 64Mbytes or 128Mbytes. The resistor
                            > in forces 32 bit mode. Taking the resistor out forces 64 bit mode.
                            > Well 64bit mode only makes the unit hang until the watchdog timer
                            > kills the power. No uart access at all.
                            > Couple of possibilities I see at this point.
                            > 1) The firmware does not allow 64 bit mode.
                            > 2) I didn't get it into 64 bit mode.
                            > 3) SDRAM could be bad or soldered wrong. (not likely)
                            > Since the Kuro/HG does support 4 SDRAM's it could still be either 1
                            > or 2. Will have to spend some more time researching other
                            > possibilities. Trying to use my wiggler on the JTAG to access the
                            > memory and decode if the memory size is changing right.
                            >
                            > During this execise I also confirmed that the Flash @IC18 is used as
                            > 8 bit, not 16 as I saw reported somewhere (I think here).
                            > To much misinformation is reported. If you don't know then don't
                            > say you do know. Say your guessing or your sons girlfiend who is a
                            > biology major thinks so. :-)
                            > Yes the flash is a 16 bit part but its shorted to byte mode. Its
                            > chip select is connected to RCS0 for access. The flash at IC19 (if
                            > installed) is connected up in parallel with the exception it uses
                            > RCS1 for access. So both parts can be installed together. If more
                            > Flash is needed it looks pretty simple to solder it in. But they
                            > both are still 8 bit.
                            > Rich

                            Rich,

                            Any progress on the SDRAM upgrade to 128MB?

                            JR