Re: Newbie Needs help with slimserver

  • scottnasello
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi Daniel, I believe the accumulated files & instructions have been
      excellent, I am very thankful...as a matter of fact, had the
      documentation not been as thorough, I would not have have even tried
      this!!!

      I just saw your instructions & I'll give them a whirl

      cheers, scott

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
      <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > The slimstart file (and instructions) are for starting & stopping
      the
      > slimserver along with the rest of the box... (it's a bit like
      putting
      > in an entry in the "autoexec.bat" or Startup folder (in the MS
      > world) :-)
      >
      > It's a little tricky if you don't know much about linux but give it
      > try (I would suggest not putting in those soft links in
      > the /etc/init.d directory structure until you can control the
      > slimserver using manual commands (such as "slimstart start"
      > and "slimstart stop"). I may have to simplify my script and
      > instructions a bit since it seems that rookies are having a hard
      time
      > making all this work in one operation... :-)
      >
      > Regards,
      > Daniel
      > P.S. You can send me an e-mail if you need extra help here. I'll do
      > my best...
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
      > <trash@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
      > > difficulty
      > > 1) gave myself root access on LS
      > > 2) installed new perl
      > > 3) installed slim files
      > > 4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS
      > >
      > > thanks a bunch everyone.
      > >
      > > Here are my questions:
      > > 1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work
      and
      > > was able to do an internet radio station. However for some
      reason
      > > lost the connection and it did not re-boot. Is this what I am
      > > supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for? If
      so,
      > > need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
      > > linkstation
      > >
      > > 2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000
      via
      > > internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone
      help
      > > me with the syntax in the slim web interface? My files are
      > > in /mnt/music/mp3
      > >
      > > thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be
      > able
      > > to get this done.
    • hawkwynd
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hey Dan,

            We're all set on this end. I had some grammaticals wrong in the script, and after going through the debug process, line by line I figured out what I was doing wrong. Nice work on the pl script by the way. I've had the opportunity to do some perl programming in the past, so I was rusty to say the least. I found my 'black book of Perl' and blew the dust off and after a few hours learned the error of my ways.

            Looking forward to 'turning' my attention on the Hawking HNAS1 box next. Ordering it tomorrow, and I'll probably be bugging everyone some more when I start hacking into it. Since it comes with no HD (you can add your own) I assume the kernel is stored on NVRAM somewhere on the box, which might require a few heavy tricks to get at the root. Won't know until I get one on my bench, though.. I have several PDF files from O'Rielly's books for linux users, think we could put them up on the files area?

            Have a good one! Thanks for your help with this - it turned out to be alot of fun!

        Scott

        The slimstart file (and instructions) are for starting & stopping the
        slimserver along with the rest of the box... (it's a bit like putting
        in an entry in the "autoexec.bat" or Startup folder (in the MS
        world) :-)

        It's a little tricky if you don't know much about linux but give it a

        <trash@s...> wrote:

        > I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
        > difficulty
        > 1) gave myself root access on LS
        > 2) installed new perl
        > 3) installed slim files
        > 4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS
        >
        > thanks a bunch everyone.
        >
        > Here are my questions:
        > 1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work and
        > was able to do an internet radio station.  However for some reason
        > lost the connection and it did not re-boot.  Is this what I am
        > supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for?  If so,
        > need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
        > linkstation
        >
        > 2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000 via
        > internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone help
        > me with the syntax in the slim web interface?  My files are
        > in /mnt/music/mp3
        >
        > thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be
        able
        > to get this done.

      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
          I'm glad I was able to help you and the other Scott (scottnasello)
          with this issue of starting slimserver automatically at boot up.

          Not trying to make any "smart" remarks, but, what perl script? The
          script I wrote is a bash shell script... ;-)

          Nonetheless, glad you got it all working!
          Daniel

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hawkwynd"

          of Service.