Newbie Needs help with slimserver

  • scottnasello
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
      I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
      difficulty
      1) gave myself root access on LS
      2) installed new perl
      3) installed slim files
      4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS

      thanks a bunch everyone.

      Here are my questions:
      1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work and I
      was able to do an internet radio station. However for some reason I
      lost the connection and it did not re-boot. Is this what I am
      supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for? If so, I
      need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
      linkstation

      2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000 via
      internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone help
      me with the syntax in the slim web interface? My files are
      in /mnt/music/mp3

      thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be able
      to get this done.
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi Scott,

        The slimstart file (and instructions) are for starting & stopping the
        slimserver along with the rest of the box... (it's a bit like putting
        in an entry in the "autoexec.bat" or Startup folder (in the MS
        world) :-)

        It's a little tricky if you don't know much about linux but give it a
        try (I would suggest not putting in those soft links in
        the /etc/init.d directory structure until you can control the
        slimserver using manual commands (such as "slimstart start"
        and "slimstart stop"). I may have to simplify my script and
        instructions a bit since it seems that rookies are having a hard time
        making all this work in one operation... :-)

        Regards,
        Daniel
        P.S. You can send me an e-mail if you need extra help here. I'll do
        my best...

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
        <trash@s...> wrote:

        > I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
        > difficulty
        > 1) gave myself root access on LS
        > 2) installed new perl
        > 3) installed slim files
        > 4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS
        >
        > thanks a bunch everyone.
        >
        > Here are my questions:
        > 1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work and
        > was able to do an internet radio station. However for some reason
        > lost the connection and it did not re-boot. Is this what I am
        > supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for? If so,
        > need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
        > linkstation
        >
        > 2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000 via
        > internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone help
        > me with the syntax in the slim web interface? My files are
        > in /mnt/music/mp3
        >
        > thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be
        able
        > to get this done.
      • scottnasello
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
          Hi Daniel, I believe the accumulated files & instructions have been
          excellent, I am very thankful...as a matter of fact, had the
          documentation not been as thorough, I would not have have even tried
          this!!!

          I just saw your instructions & I'll give them a whirl

          cheers, scott

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
          <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

          > Hi Scott,
          >
          > The slimstart file (and instructions) are for starting & stopping
          the
          > slimserver along with the rest of the box... (it's a bit like
          putting
          > in an entry in the "autoexec.bat" or Startup folder (in the MS
          > world) :-)
          >
          > It's a little tricky if you don't know much about linux but give it
          > try (I would suggest not putting in those soft links in
          > the /etc/init.d directory structure until you can control the
          > slimserver using manual commands (such as "slimstart start"
          > and "slimstart stop"). I may have to simplify my script and
          > instructions a bit since it seems that rookies are having a hard
          time
          > making all this work in one operation... :-)
          >
          > Regards,
          > Daniel
          > P.S. You can send me an e-mail if you need extra help here. I'll do
          > my best...
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
          > <trash@s...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
          > > difficulty
          > > 1) gave myself root access on LS
          > > 2) installed new perl
          > > 3) installed slim files
          > > 4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS
          > >
          > > thanks a bunch everyone.
          > >
          > > Here are my questions:
          > > 1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work
          and
          > > was able to do an internet radio station. However for some
          reason
          > > lost the connection and it did not re-boot. Is this what I am
          > > supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for? If
          so,
          > > need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
          > > linkstation
          > >
          > > 2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000
          via
          > > internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone
          help
          > > me with the syntax in the slim web interface? My files are
          > > in /mnt/music/mp3
          > >
          > > thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be
          > able
          > > to get this done.
        • hawkwynd
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
            Hey Dan,

                We're all set on this end. I had some grammaticals wrong in the script, and after going through the debug process, line by line I figured out what I was doing wrong. Nice work on the pl script by the way. I've had the opportunity to do some perl programming in the past, so I was rusty to say the least. I found my 'black book of Perl' and blew the dust off and after a few hours learned the error of my ways.

                Looking forward to 'turning' my attention on the Hawking HNAS1 box next. Ordering it tomorrow, and I'll probably be bugging everyone some more when I start hacking into it. Since it comes with no HD (you can add your own) I assume the kernel is stored on NVRAM somewhere on the box, which might require a few heavy tricks to get at the root. Won't know until I get one on my bench, though.. I have several PDF files from O'Rielly's books for linux users, think we could put them up on the files area?

                Have a good one! Thanks for your help with this - it turned out to be alot of fun!

            <trash@s...> wrote:

            > I have followed all of the excellent how tos, with only a bit of
            > difficulty
            > 1) gave myself root access on LS
            > 2) installed new perl
            > 3) installed slim files
            > 4) actually got my slim to run off of the LS
            >
            > thanks a bunch everyone.
            >
            > Here are my questions:
            > 1) I ran ./slimserver.pl and it kicked on my slim...it did work and
            > was able to do an internet radio station.  However for some reason
            > lost the connection and it did not re-boot.  Is this what I am
            > supposed to use the slimstart file (posted by dan born)for?  If so,
            > need some help understanding how / where to put this file on my
            > linkstation
            >
            > 2) For the brief time my slim was up, I opened my LS IP : 9000 via
            > internet, and I was not able to add my mp3 files...can someone help
            > me with the syntax in the slim web interface?  My files are
            > in /mnt/music/mp3
            >
            > thanks a ton everyone for making a windows guy & linux virgin be
            able
            > to get this done.

          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
              I'm glad I was able to help you and the other Scott (scottnasello)
              with this issue of starting slimserver automatically at boot up.

              Not trying to make any "smart" remarks, but, what perl script? The
              script I wrote is a bash shell script... ;-)

              Nonetheless, glad you got it all working!
              Daniel

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hawkwynd"

              of Service.