Re: TwonkyVision MediaServer

  • jerome.charron@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
      > > And there is no trial for the Buffalo LS.....
      > I'll contact TwonkyVision to ask them to add Buffalo LS support in the
      > trial version.
      Here is the TwonkyVision response:

      "Sorry - there is no trial version for Buffalo.
      But it behaves the same way as the Windows Trial version.

      We will think about bundling trial version for these systems."
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        I've read the documentation on the site and it looks interesting...
        Anyone here using this? How does it compare to slimserver as far as
        versatility, ease of use, etc..? I'm using the slimserver and I like
        it but it only does audio vs the TwonkyVision (strange name!?) that
        does audio & video... I haven't bought any SqueezeBox yet (only
        SoftSqueeze) so it's not "too late" for me to go this route instead
        of slimserver...

        Anybody have an opinion on this MediaServer?

        Thanks,
        Daniel

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, jerome.charron@g... wrote:

        > > > And there is no trial for the Buffalo LS.....
        > > I'll contact TwonkyVision to ask them to add Buffalo LS support
        in the
        > > trial version.
        > Here is the TwonkyVision response:
        >
        > "Sorry - there is no trial version for Buffalo.
        > But it behaves the same way as the Windows Trial version.
        >
        > We will think about bundling trial version for these systems."
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
          I got the mediserver running on my Kuro and so far so good. I've
          only be able to test audio to a Soundbridge and it does that without
          a hitch. Very configurable (you can setup your own tree struture if
          you wish, supports shoutcast internet radio and m3u playlists). mt-
          daapd offers pretty much the same features to a Soundbridge and is
          free and open source (so may get more bells and whistles such as
          transcoding, over time). The real question for me is how the images
          and video work out which I won't be able to test until the
          Photobridge (HD1000) v2.0 beta icorporates uPnP. Based on how it
          works for audio it looks promising. Getting it to work on the
          Buffalo was no problem, it's a single binary file. run it from the
          command line and then edit the ini file or customize via a web
          interface.
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
            Thom,

            Thanks for the info...
            I like the idea of the slimserver to play my 11000+ mp3 files
            through my sound system (hardly ever listen to them on the
            computer...) but I feel that I could also benefit from something to
            view my ~5000 (and counting) jpeg pictures on the TV and also
            something to store, organize & view my collection of ~40 (and
            counting) DVD collection without having to actually take the disc
            and put it in the DVD player...

            Also, I don't want to dedicate an entire computer for this task so
            something like a LinkStation or Kurobox seems like the perfect
            setup. Also, the slimserver might be free and the TwonkyVision costs
            15 euros but the devices that are supported by the TwonkyVision
            appear to much cheaper than the SqueezeBox...

            Anyway, thanks for the info, much to consider... :-)
            Daniel

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"