Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: turned my ls into a kurobrick

  • Jose Quezada
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      if by "Juan" you meant "Jose", Then I say, "whatever
      works for you". you can use knopple to fix your flash
      also. if you really meant "Juan", then forget what i
      said and hopefully "Juan" will reply.

      jq
      --- timid1200 <timid1200@...> wrote:

      > Hi Juan, and thanks for your reply.
      >
      > Unfortunately, things are not so cheery for me. My
      > hard drive is just
      > fine; I'm having problems with the flash (i.e.,
      > before my hard drive
      > even gets looked at, the system bonks out).
      >
      > Right now I'm considering building a flash
      > reader/programmer and
      > re-programming my flash using an image read off of a
      > friend's LS120.
      >
      > Tim
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
      > Quezada <syle@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > tim, u can what i did: remove the hd and attach it
      > > another computer, then use knoppix to access you
      > hda1
      > > and fix your firmware.
      > >
      > > jq
      > > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Hey guys,
      > > >
      > > > I followed the diretions at
      > > >
      > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
      > > > Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box,
      > > > including checking to make sure I had the 4MB LS
      > > > (mine is an LS120). I
      > > > was planning on making the box a gentoo box
      > after
      > > > having a lot of
      > > > trouble with dependencies when trying to install
      > new
      > > > software.
      > > >
      > > > Got all the way to the last step, that is,
      > logging
      > > > into the the kuro
      > > > and overwriting the firmware:
      > > >
      > > > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1
      > > >
      > > > When I telnetted in it even had a cool KURO motd
      > and
      > > > all that. After
      > > > issuing this command, the box did blinkenlights
      > for
      > > > a long time. A
      > > > very long time. After about 10 minutes, it went
      > > > dead, and the DIAG
      > > > light started blinking.
      > > >
      > > > Now, when I power the box up, the power light
      > blinks
      > > > a couple times,
      > > > the link light goes on, and then within 5
      > seconds of
      > > > powering up it
      > > > powers down and flashes the dreaded DIAG light.
      > > >
      > > > What's more, it flashes 5 times, meaning a flash
      > > > fault.
      > > >
      > > > Booting into EM mode doesn't seem to do much, as
      > the
      > > > box doesn't seem
      > > > to respond to the IPSetup or firmware update
      > tool.
      > > >
      > > > I think I'm kuroscrewed here.
      > > >
      > > > Thoughts? Condolences? ;)
      > > >
      > > > Tim

      > protection around
      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • pholmstr
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
        How do you use knopple (knoppix?) to fix the flash? As far as I have
        heard only a few have ever recovered a bad flash on these things, and
        it has always involved diving into the hardware and wiring
        (soldering) something up so they could reflash.

        wrote:
        > if by "Juan" you meant "Jose", Then I say, "whatever
        > works for you". you can use knopple to fix your flash
        > also. if you really meant "Juan", then forget what i
        > said and hopefully "Juan" will reply.
        >
        > jq
        > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi Juan, and thanks for your reply.
        > >
        > > Unfortunately, things are not so cheery for me. My
        > > hard drive is just
        > > fine; I'm having problems with the flash (i.e.,
        > > before my hard drive
        > > even gets looked at, the system bonks out).
        > >
        > > Right now I'm considering building a flash
        > > reader/programmer and
        > > re-programming my flash using an image read off of a
        > > friend's LS120.
        > >
        > > Tim
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
        > > Quezada <syle@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > tim, u can what i did: remove the hd and attach it
        > > > another computer, then use knoppix to access you
        > > hda1
        > > > and fix your firmware.
        > > >
        > > > jq

        > > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
        > > after
        > > new

        > > logging

        > > and
        > > for

        > > blinks
        > > seconds of

        > > the
        > > tool.

        > > protection around
        > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Frederik Kunz
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
          pholmstr wrote:

          > How do you use knopple (knoppix?) to fix the flash? As far as I have
          > heard only a few have ever recovered a bad flash on these things, and
          > it has always involved diving into the hardware and wiring
          > (soldering) something up so they could reflash.
          Yeah, there is no way you can use knoppix to fix the flash device.
        • timid1200
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
            A thousand apoligies Jose. I really should stop drinking...

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
              haha, no worries.

              jq
              --- timid1200 <timid1200@...> wrote:

              > A thousand apoligies Jose. I really should stop
              > drinking...
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
              > Quezada <syle@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > if by "Juan" you meant "Jose", Then I say,
              > "whatever
              > > works for you". you can use knopple to fix your
              > flash
              > > also. if you really meant "Juan", then forget
              > what i
              > > said and hopefully "Juan" will reply.
              > >
              > > jq
              > > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi Juan, and thanks for your reply.
              > > >
              > > > Unfortunately, things are not so cheery for me.
              > My
              > > > hard drive is just
              > > > fine; I'm having problems with the flash (i.e.,
              > > > before my hard drive
              > > > even gets looked at, the system bonks out).
              > > >
              > > > Right now I'm considering building a flash
              > > > reader/programmer and
              > > > re-programming my flash using an image read off
              > of a
              > > > friend's LS120.
              > > >
              > > > Tim
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
              > > > Quezada <syle@y...>
              > attach it
              > you
              > > > hda1

              > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
              > 4MB LS
              > > > after
              > install
              > > > new

              > > > logging

              > motd
              > > > and
              > blinkenlights
              > > > for
              > went

              > light
              > > > blinks
              > > > seconds of
              > light.

              > flash

              > much, as
              > > > the
              > > > tool.

              > > > protection around

              > > Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
              > viruses.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • lars_mrs
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 19, 2005

                Has anybody found a solution for this problem?
                I have deleted some folders by mistake, and now
                when i start the LS the power light blinks for some
                minutes and then it powers down and the red diag led
                flashes 6 times. Im not able to flash a new firmware,
                because the update tool doesen't find the LS. Is there
                a chance to reflash the firmware?

                Regards
                Lars

                wrote:
                > haha, no worries.
                >
                > jq
                > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
                >

                > > A thousand apoligies Jose. I really should stop
                > > drinking...
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
                > > Quezada <syle@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > if by "Juan" you meant "Jose", Then I say,
                > > "whatever
                > > > works for you". you can use knopple to fix your
                > > flash
                > > > also. if you really meant "Juan", then forget
                > > what i
                > > > said and hopefully "Juan" will reply.
                > > >
                > > > jq

                > > My

                > > of a

                > > attach it
                > > you

                > > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
                > > 4MB LS
                > > install

                > > motd
                > > blinkenlights
                > > went

                > > light
                > > light.

                > > flash

                > > much, as

                > > > Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
                > > viruses.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Paul Milligan (home)
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
                  Are you able to remove the hard drive from the case?

                  If so you could restore the files by putting the drive into a PC and use Knoppix or similar.

                  If you can tell us a little more about what you can and can't do someone can probably get you a fix. The good news is that 6 blinks is a hard drive problem, which is always fixable with the Kuro firmware. (You've probably deleted the watchdog timer daemon (ppc_uartd) or the script which starts it)

                  Paul

                  Hi,

                  wrote:
                  > haha, no worries.
                  >
                  > jq
                  > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > A thousand apoligies Jose. I really should stop
                  > > drinking...
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose
                  > > Quezada <syle@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > if by "Juan" you meant "Jose", Then I say,
                  > > "whatever
                  > > > works for you".  you can use knopple to fix your
                  > > flash
                  > > > also.  if you really meant "Juan", then forget
                  > > what i
                  > > > said and hopefully "Juan" will reply.
                  > > >
                  > > > jq

                  > > My

                  > > of a

                  > > attach it
                  > > you

                  > > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
                  > > 4MB LS
                  > > install

                  > > motd
                  > > blinkenlights
                  > > went

                  > > light
                  > > light.

                  > > flash

                  > > much, as

                  > > > Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
                  > > viruses.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • lars_mrs
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
                    Hi Paul,

                    Thanks for your reply, I have allready removed the HD from
                    my LS and flashed the Firmware to an other blank HD.
                    Now i'm trying to copy the deleted folders from this drive
                    to the original LS hard disk.

                    Thanks
                    Lars

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"