Re: [LinkStation_General] debian

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      I did. (right now my LS is out of commission. First
      it was a pwr supply problem, now it isn't seeing the
      hard drive, but it might be that I've worn out the IDE
      cable)

      Anyway, as an experiment, I took that Japanese Debian
      (Woody) tarbal (tgz file) and copied it to the first
      partition of another hard drive using a Linux
      workstation. I also think I copied /lib/modules from
      the original LS hard drive to this new hard drive.
      Then I put the thing in the LS and it booted and ran.

      Before that I copied the tarbal to the third partition
      on the original LS drive in and around the normal
      "shares" directories. This one I then upgraded to
      "Sid" and installed all kinds of other neat stuff (see
      my pictures in the photo gallery of this site). The
      way I ran this copy is to boot in to the LS as normal
      then in a telnet session I "chroot"ed over to the
      Debian file system and started up various services I
      had there (like ssh and vnc).

      When I get my LS up and running again (I'm real busy
      with other things right now) I plan on adding a simple
      addition to the web interface on the original LS OS
      that changes the "runlevel" on the LS boot to boot by
      default a new one that goes to the Debian partition
      instead. There would then be a script on the Debian
      side to change it back if needed (possibly even using
      the watchdog timer as a fail over boot). This would
      be something that would be good for public
      consumption.

      If I get confident about doing kernel upgrades and
      dealing with the flash memory regions. I might get
      rid of the original LS OS all together because I
      really don't like it. My Debianized LS is real cool.
      I don't have to struggle with getting things compiled,
      installed or working with Debian.

      --- jd_barnett <jd_barnett@...> wrote:

      > Hi again-
      >
      > Is anyone running debian on their ls/kuro? I've only
      > come across
      > Japanese instructions, but I did find the files
      > debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz and deboot_src.tgz. If
      > you are running
      > debian, how did you get it installed?
      >
      > Thanks again-
      >
      > John

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • jah_pix
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
        > If I get confident about doing kernel upgrades and
        > dealing with the flash memory regions. I might get
        > rid of the original LS OS all together because I
        > really don't like it. My Debianized LS is real cool.
        > I don't have to struggle with getting things compiled,
        > installed or working with Debian.

        wow im seriously impressed .. especially the way you made it sound so easy lol
        .. this would be fantastic if you could do a readme/howto for the n()()bs
        amoungst us all that would really love to get debian running.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
          --- jah_pix <jah_pix@...> wrote:

          > wow im seriously impressed .. especially the way
          > you made it sound so easy lol
          > .. this would be fantastic if you could do a
          > readme/howto for the n()()bs amoungst us all that
          > would really love to get debian
          > running.

          Untarring the Japanese Debian on the 3rd partition and
          using "chroot" (I put a copy of "chroot" in the
          "files" section of this group some time ago) is very
          easy and doesn't disturb the original OS. In fact it
          is really crazy how both OS's seem to run at the same
          time this way. I could telnet into the original one,
          or ssh into Debian, I had the original web interface
          running while I was in a vnc session in the Debian
          one. To make chroot work, you telnet into the LS and
          do something like "chroot /mnt/debian" where "debian"
          is the directory I put the japanese distro at. True
          you don't run the Debian init scripts, but you can
          manually startup what ever services you want once you
          are in.

          I plan to do a How-to, if not an actual installer of
          some sort as soon as I get the time to figure out what
          is wrong with my LS. It boots on the drive I had put
          the japanese debian on it just fine, but it won't boot
          the original drive (I get the 6 flashes of the diag
          light which means hard drive problem). I can put the
          drive in a Linux workstation and it appears just fine.
          I'm thinking maybe the journalling on the EXT3 file
          system may have had some compatibility problems
          between the version on the original LS and the very
          current version on workstation? Or is it possible the
          the DMA mode on the hard drive's firmware got set to
          an incompatible mode when I put the drive in the
          computer that only did 33mhz DMA? Any ideas how to
          trouble shoot the problem? I'm planning to put put a
          "debug statement" early on in the init scripts (to
          write a text file or flash the LED's in a different
          manor) to see if it at least gets that far. It also
          looks like maybe the /var directory (where logs are
          kept) might live in one of the flash regions. If true
          I can probably look at them for clues.

          =====
          Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

          Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

          http://mail.yahoo.com