Linkstation hangs

  • jayoungh5
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Anyone else experience problems with linkstations hanging fairly
      frequently?

      When it happens you can ping the linkstation but nothing else works.
      Telnet doesn't work, the web interface stops working, and the file
      sharing stops. The only solution is to cycle power.

      I'm a little surprised with that knowing that the linkstation is
      based on Linux. If it was windows based I'd assume that's normal
      behavior.

      I find it fairly annoying. I also find the 8 character password
      limit annoying. I guess I'm easily annoyed!

      The firmware I'm using is 1.45.13

      Thank you.
      Jim Young
    • xo151
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
        I have the exact same issue with 1.46_10. Every day or two I can't
        access my printer, lose my shares, etc. This is totally annoying.
        I'm thinking of returning my 250gb unit if I can't find a way to
        resolve this. Anyone have suggestions?

        -Alex

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jayoungh5"
        <jimandmary@a...> wrote:

        > Anyone else experience problems with linkstations hanging fairly
        > frequently?
        >
        > When it happens you can ping the linkstation but nothing else
        works.
        > Telnet doesn't work, the web interface stops working, and the file
        > sharing stops. The only solution is to cycle power.
        >
        > I'm a little surprised with that knowing that the linkstation is
        > based on Linux. If it was windows based I'd assume that's normal
        > behavior.
        >
        > I find it fairly annoying. I also find the 8 character password
        > limit annoying. I guess I'm easily annoyed!
        >
        > The firmware I'm using is 1.45.13
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Jim Young
      • hawkwynd
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
          Are you on a hard-wired lan, or wireless?

          While I was working on our 250gb linkstation, we were using a belkin 802.11b router and periodically, we'd lose telnet, (cannot connect to port 23, connection refused) and other assorted lags, and lockups. Moving the linkstation to hardwired lan and the probs went away. For us, we suspected the belkin product, and still do.

          <jimandmary@a...> wrote:

          > Anyone else experience problems with linkstations hanging fairly
          > frequently?
          >
          > When it happens you can ping the linkstation but nothing else
          works.
          > Telnet doesn't work, the web interface stops working, and the file
          > sharing stops.  The only solution is to cycle power.
          >
          > I'm a little surprised with that knowing that the linkstation is
          > based on Linux.  If it was windows based I'd assume that's normal
          > behavior.
          >
          > I find it fairly annoying.  I also find the 8 character password
          > limit annoying.  I guess I'm easily annoyed!
          >
          > The firmware I'm using is 1.45.13
          >
          > Thank you.
          > Jim Young

        • xo151
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            I actually have the linkstation connected to a Cisc Pix 501, hard-
            wired. Now, there's also a Netgear wireless router (802.11g)
            connected to the Pix also but I don't see why that would screw with
            things.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hawkwynd"

            of Service.
          • Jim and Mary
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
              Mine is hardwired.    However, the PC does go through a hardwired port on a wireless router through the uplink port to another switch to the linkstation.  That is:  PC is hard wired to port on Netgear wireless router -> uplink port on netgear wireless router -> hard-wired to netgear switch ->hard-wired to Linkstation.

              I don't see problems with other devices on the network.

              <jimandmary@a...> wrote:

              > Anyone else experience problems with linkstations hanging fairly
              > frequently?
              >
              > When it happens you can ping the linkstation but nothing else
              works.
              > Telnet doesn't work, the web interface stops working, and the file
              > sharing stops.  The only solution is to cycle power.
              >
              > I'm a little surprised with that knowing that the linkstation is
              > based on Linux.  If it was windows based I'd assume that's normal
              > behavior.
              >
              > I find it fairly annoying.  I also find the 8 character password
              > limit annoying.  I guess I'm easily annoyed!
              >
              > The firmware I'm using is 1.45.13
              >
              > Thank you.
              > Jim Young

            • hawkwynd
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
                Just asking, we were experiencing the same problem, but we found the Belkin box to be less than 'desirable' when it came to dealing with out 802.11b connections. Seems it would be chugging along all hunky-dory and then, for no reason, it would just puke.  Replaced the Belkin with another unit (forget what it was now) and the problem dissapated.

                I'm no networking troubleshooter - check your cables?