Yasunari site available in English

  • mikewestconst
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
      Folks-

      I just learned about this group! Glad to see so many folks
      taking an intereste in the Linkstation. A while ago, I was
      able to hack my linkstation to run the slimserver software
      for the Slim Devices squeezebox, and it's really nice. You
      can check out the thread at:

      http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/2004-September/036041.html

      In trying to figure out how to do this, I ended up making
      friends with Yasunari Yamashita, whose extensive web pages
      on hacking the linkstation are now starting to be translated
      into English. Check them out at:

      http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation.en

      and don't forget to send him a quick thank-you for all he's done.

      Have fun, and keep on hacking!

      -Craig
    • hkyee2288
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
        Craig,

        Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive with
        a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

        Thanks.

        Larry.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikewestconst"
        <cmvotava@c...> wrote:

        > Folks-
        >
        > I just learned about this group! Glad to see so many folks
        > taking an intereste in the Linkstation. A while ago, I was
        > able to hack my linkstation to run the slimserver software
        > for the Slim Devices squeezebox, and it's really nice. You
        > can check out the thread at:
        >
        > http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/2004-
        September/036041.html

        > In trying to figure out how to do this, I ended up making
        > friends with Yasunari Yamashita, whose extensive web pages
        > on hacking the linkstation are now starting to be translated
        > into English. Check them out at:
        >
        > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation.en
        >
        > and don't forget to send him a quick thank-you for all he's done.
        >
        > Have fun, and keep on hacking!
        >
        > -Craig
      • stokessd
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hkyee2288" <hkyee@h...> wrote:

          > Craig,
          >
          > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive with
          > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

          I'm not craig, but I just put a drive into a Kuro box and I will be glad to describe how I
          formatted and installed the files onto that if you'd like.

          Sheldon
        • stokessd
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
              What I really need to find out is whether any kind of software
              installation (like OS reinstall, etc) is required after replacing the
              new drive in.

              Thx.
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stokessd" <stokes@s...>
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hkyee2288"
              <hkyee@h...> wrote:

              > > Craig,
              > >
              > > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive
              with
              > > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.
              >

              > I'm not craig, but I just put a drive into a Kuro box and I will be
              glad to describe how I
              > formatted and installed the files onto that if you'd like.
              >

              > Sheldon
            • stokessd
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hkyee2288" <hkyee@h...> wrote:

                > What I really need to find out is whether any kind of software
                > installation (like OS reinstall, etc) is required after replacing the
                > new drive in.

                I'm assuming that the linkstation and the kuro box are the same (good asumption?)

                When you boot the box with a clean drive or no drive it boots into EM mode. in the flash
                memory, there is the kernel and a bare bones set of tools and small filesystem. Thi little
                filesystem is there as initial setup and disaster recovery. I used mkdisk, to partition my
                fresh drive. After I partitioned my drive (with a larger hda1 partition), I did a mkfs on my
                two linux partitions, and a mkswap on the swap space (also bigger). Now I'm ready to
                mount the partitions and copy the files over.

                I mounted to /dev/hda1 at /tmp

                I then ftp'ed into the box from my desktop machine and transferred the kurobox binaries
                to /tmp.

                I then untarred them (which puts all the files into place) and rebooted. When it came up, I
                was all set.

                I then added the extra binaries like gcc and libc etc and started to play.

                Hope that helps,
                Sheldon
              • mikewestconst
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > Craig,
                  >
                  > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive with
                  > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

                  Larry-

                  No problem. I'll give you the low-down on what I did. However, I'm
                  not sure how much it will apply to you. When I did this, there was
                  no upgrade firmware available, and the old version didn't have
                  any way to get telnet or ftp access. Since I had to physically
                  remove the hard drive, I figured I might as well upgrade it as well.
                  Here's a copy of the description I posted in the "slimserver" group:

                  Here's the quick-list of steps that I did:

                  1.) Buy a LinkStation & 300G Maxtor HD
                  2.) Open the LinkStation
                  3.) Plug the internal HD to external laptop via HD enclosure
                  4.) Boot Knoppix from a CD on the laptop
                  5.) Copy & run a hack program to unlock the LS root partition.
                  6.) Copy everything from the 120G HD to the 300G HD.
                  7.) Replace 120G with 300G (save 120G as backup)
                  8.) Put it back together & test with new 300G HD
                  9.) Take it back apart, mount 300G on external box running Knoppix
                  10.) Install rpm2cpio, telnet & ftp RPMs on the root partition.
                  11.) Put the LinkStation back together & test.
                  12.) Create a hack directory in the shared area (/mnt/share/hack)
                  13.) Install all the rest of the rpm's there (including slimserver)
                  14.) Telnet to box, and run stuff from /mnt/share/hack

                  Here are the places I got rpm's from:
                  http://ydl.osuosl.org/yellowdog-2.3/ppc/YellowDog/ppc/
                  ftp://sunsite.sut.ac.jp/pub/archives/linux/jp-linux/Vine/Vine-2.1.5/ppc/Vine/RPMS/

                  The scariest part of all this was that once I had the internal LS HD
                  connected to the laptop running Knoppix, I couldn't mount the
                  root partition. I tried asking the Buffalo USA folks for help, but
                  they just refused to help. I finally got some folks in Japan to help
                  out (they've done a LOT of LinkStation hacking) and they told me
                  what was up.

                  Apparently, in a move to try and lock the root partition, the Buffalo
                  folks changed the magic number on the root partition to something that
                  Linux won't recognize (I think they bumped it up or down by one). The
                  folks in Japan kindly sent me a copy of their "Fix Magic Number"
                  program that reset it to what it should be. Once it's changed,
                  you don't have to change it back, and you'll be able to mount
                  the root partition on any linux system. After that everything
                  else was easy.

                  You can download the source to unlock
                  the root partition (fix_ext2_magic-1.1.i386.tar.gz) from:
                  http://bonner.s45.xrea.com/

                  There are binaries too if you want.

                  I was worried about the bigger drive running hotter than the smaller
                  one. It turns out that I didn't need to worry too much, but here's
                  what I did (and I would suggest you do too):

                  1.) Install the hddtemp program from:
                  http://coredump.free.fr/linux/hddtemp.php

                  This will let you run the command "hddtemp /dev/hda" and it
                  will give you the current temperature (in Centigrade) read
                  from the sensor in the hard drive.

                  2.) Create a shell script that you can run from cron, which can:
                  -Check the temperature
                  -If it's above a given point, turn the fan on high
                  -Keep on checking every minute until the temp goes down
                  -Turn off the machine if the temp. gets close to the max.
                  -Creates a log so you can see some statistics on your temp.

                  3.) Run the script from cron (I run mine every 5 minutes).

                  I found that the normal HD temp on my machine in my house is about
                  42C. I set my limit to 43C so that the fan goes to high above that
                  point. The manufacturer says the maximum safe internal temp. for
                  the drive is 55C, so I shutdown at 54C.

                  Here's the script that I came up with:

                  #!/bin/sh

                  # Run with cron
                  # min(0-59) hr(0-23) day(1-31) month(1-12) Wkday(0:Sun-6:Sat)
                  # 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /path/FanCntl.sh

                  TEMPLIMIT=43
                  TEMPSHUTDOWN=54

                  LOCKFILE=/tmp/HDDtemp
                  if [ -f $LOCKFILE ]
                  then
                  echo $0 already running
                  exit
                  fi

                  TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
                  echo "$TEMP C `date`"

                  if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
                  then
                  /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
                  exit 0
                  fi

                  touch $LOCKFILE
                  while [ 1 ]
                  do
                  /bin/echo -n ']]]]' > /dev/ttyS1
                  sleep 60
                  TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
                  if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
                  then
                  echo "$TEMP C-- `date`"
                  break
                  fi
                  if [ "$TEMP" -ge $TEMPSHUTDOWN ]
                  then
                  echo "$TEMP Too High, Shutting down `date`"
                  /sbin/halt
                  fi
                  echo "$TEMP C++ `date`"
                  done

                  /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
                  rm -f $LOCKFILE
                  exit 0

                  I think that's everything.

                  -Craig
                • jamy1975
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
                    What did you do to get root?

                    Thanks

                    <cmvotava@c...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > exit
                    > fi
                    >
                    > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
                    > echo "$TEMP C `date`"
                    >
                    > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
                    > then
                    > /bin/echo -n '\\\\' > /dev/ttyS1
                    > exit 0
                    > fi
                    >
                    > touch $LOCKFILE
                    > while [ 1 ]
                    > do
                    > /bin/echo -n ']]]]' > /dev/ttyS1
                    > sleep 60
                    > TEMP=`/usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/hda`
                    > if [ "$TEMP" -le $TEMPLIMIT ]
                    > then
                    > echo "$TEMP C-- `date`"
                    > break
                    > fi
                    > if [ "$TEMP" -ge $TEMPSHUTDOWN ]
                    > then
                    > echo "$TEMP Too High, Shutting down `date`"

                  • hack_kuro_box
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2004
                      Larry,

                      wrote:

                      > Craig,
                      >
                      > Can you share your experience on how to swap out the 120G drive
                      with
                      > a 250G one? I can't seem to find a doc on how to do that.

                      It's very easy.
                      1) Replace 120G hard drive with 250G.
                      2) Install firmware update.
                      You'll get LinkStation 250G!

                      HKB
                    • hkyee2288
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 27, 2004
                        i will try that. thought it was complex. thx.
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hack_kuro_box"