Linkstation Webserver

  • hawkwynd
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
      Can the Linkstation be altered to support running a website other than the managerial pages?

      It would be interesting to have it running an actual apache website, or another httpd server, and use it as an intranet website.

      The best damned website on the internet... Period!

      http://www.hawkwynd.com

    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
        It would be good for you (and us) if you used the search function
        before you post questions. This subject has been discussed already
        with various apps and solutions.
        Rich
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hawkwynd"
        <hawkwynd@h...> wrote:
        > Can the Linkstation be altered to support running a website other
        than the
        > managerial pages?
        >
        > It would be interesting to have it running an actual apache
        website, or
        > another httpd server, and use it as an intranet website.

        ---------
        > ----
        > The best damned website on the internet... Period!
        > http://www.hawkwynd.com
      • downieabz
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hawkwynd,

          If you go here:

          http://www.downieabz.com/Apache

          you will find my ramblings on how to install an Apache server for the
          Unix/Linux novice. As I am one of these myself, please don't repeat
          all the mistakes. So far no one who knows more than I do has given me
          any corrections but that does not mean all my reasoning is correct.

          I still don't have PHP and MySQL running as there seems to be some
          doubt about whether the internal RAM is enough to cope with running
          Apache and PHP, plus I don't have time to do it.

          The proof of the pudding is that the site is running on my
          LinkStation....

          Ian

          --------------------------
          > ----
          > The best damned website on the internet... Period!
          > http://www.hawkwynd.com
        • hawkwynd
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
            Ian,

            Awesome! Thank you. I'll be sure to bookmark it. I'm also going to buy a Hawking Technologies 3.5in hard drive enclosure that also contains a NAS head. I called Hawking T/S, and they confirmed it's linux based. A little $70.00 box that lets you mount your own hard drive of any size for an instant 'linkstation-like' box. I'm going to see if I can't 'turn' that box like the linkstation too.

            Scott

            wrote:
            > Can the Linkstation be altered to support running a website other
            than the
            > managerial pages?
            >
            > It would be interesting to have it running an actual apache
            website, or
            > another httpd server, and use it as an intranet website.

            --------------------------
            > ----
            > The best damned website on the internet... Period!
            > http://www.hawkwynd.com

          • Jeff Rush
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
              Scott, I've googled and can't find anything like you describe on their
              website. No storage units at all. So I can contrast that unit with a
              Linkstation, can you provide a URL for that NAS head/drive enclosure
              please?

              -Jeff

              On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 07:14 -0500, hawkwynd wrote:
              > I'm also going to buy a Hawking Technologies 3.5in hard drive
              > enclosure that also contains a NAS head. I called Hawking T/S, and
              > they confirmed it's linux based. A little $70.00 box that lets you
              > mount your own hard drive of any size for an instant 'linkstation-
              > like' box. I'm going to see if I can't 'turn' that box like the
              > linkstation too.
            • hawkwynd
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
                It's not listed on hawking's website, but we do sell it and I can get one for about $90 beans. HNAS1 is hawking technology's part number for it. Description is "Network Attached Storage, uses standard 3.5in EIDE HDD"

                Scott, I've googled and can't find anything like you describe on their
                website.  No storage units at all.  So I can contrast that unit with a
                Linkstation, can you provide a URL for that NAS head/drive enclosure
                please?

                -Jeff

                On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 07:14 -0500, hawkwynd wrote:
                > I'm also going to buy a Hawking Technologies 3.5in hard drive
                > enclosure that also contains a NAS head. I called Hawking T/S, and
                > they confirmed it's linux based. A little $70.00 box that lets you
                > mount your own hard drive of any size for an instant 'linkstation-
                > like' box. I'm going to see if I can't 'turn' that box like the
                > linkstation too.

              • irvine_stock
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                  This sounds like a sales pitch to me. Do you have a LinkStation or
                  are you here just to try and sell Hawking technology instead of
                  Buffalo? Was $70 now its for sale @ $90. Strange!!
                  <hawkwynd@h...> wrote:
                  > It's not listed on hawking's website, but we do sell it and I can
                  get one for about $90 beans. HNAS1 is hawking technology's part
                  number for it. Description is "Network Attached Storage, uses
                  standard 3.5in EIDE HDD"

                  of Service.
                • hawkwynd
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Lighten up, Francis..
                    <hawkwynd@h...> wrote:
                    > It's not listed on hawking's website, but we do sell it and I can
                    get one for about $90 beans. HNAS1 is hawking technology's part
                    number for it. Description is "Network Attached Storage, uses
                    standard 3.5in EIDE HDD"

                    of Service.