Re: increase memory?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Bob,

      This subject has been discussed at length in the past and although
      it's _possible_ to increase its memory, it isn't a simple "plug-in"
      operation. The regular linkstation has 64MB of RAM. The Kurobox HG
      comes with 128MB.

      However I can tell you that I am running slimserver on my Linkstation
      160 for a collection of 11000+ songs (v5.4.1) with great success
      (only the occasional "pause" in the streaming) and I'm assuming that
      with the advent of V6 (SQL db), things will be even better... It's
      quite usable as it is right now.

      Just to give you an idea, this is a "typical" cpu/memory usage of
      slimserver on my linkstation:

      Idle: <1%cpu ~35%mem
      Streaming only: ~7%cpu ~50% mem
      Streaming&searching songs/browsing db: ~30%cpu ~60%mem
      Rescanning library: ~95%cpu ~70%mem

      Hope this helps,
      Daniel

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bob findlay \(JIC\)"
      <bob.findlay@b...> wrote:
      > Is it possible to increase the memory on the linkstation?
      >
      > I am considering buying one in order to run slim server software.
      > Running on my PC, the slim server software can take 90 MB of
      memory. As
      > the link station only comes with 64 (128?) I don't think it will run
      > particularly well!
      >
      > Does anybody know what kind of memory it uses? Is it hardwired?
      Dimms?
      > Simms?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Bob
    • brc_pringle
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
        just out of interest I've got a collection of mainly FLAC plus a few
        mp3s - comes to around 5000 songs - should the regular (64mb)
        linkstation handle streaming ok using slimserver ?

        Many thanks

        Bruce.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
        <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > This subject has been discussed at length in the past and although
        > it's _possible_ to increase its memory, it isn't a simple "plug-in"
        > operation. The regular linkstation has 64MB of RAM. The Kurobox HG
        > comes with 128MB.
        >
        > However I can tell you that I am running slimserver on my
        Linkstation
        > 160 for a collection of 11000+ songs (v5.4.1) with great success
        > (only the occasional "pause" in the streaming) and I'm assuming
        that
        > with the advent of V6 (SQL db), things will be even better... It's
        > quite usable as it is right now.
        >
        > Just to give you an idea, this is a "typical" cpu/memory usage of
        > slimserver on my linkstation:
        >
        > Idle: <1%cpu ~35%mem
        > Streaming only: ~7%cpu ~50% mem
        > Streaming&searching songs/browsing db: ~30%cpu ~60%mem
        > Rescanning library: ~95%cpu ~70%mem
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Daniel
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bob findlay \(JIC\)"
        > <bob.findlay@b...> wrote:
        > > Is it possible to increase the memory on the linkstation?
        > >
        > > I am considering buying one in order to run slim server software.
        > > Running on my PC, the slim server software can take 90 MB of
        > memory. As
        > > the link station only comes with 64 (128?) I don't think it will
        run
        > > particularly well!
        > >
        > > Does anybody know what kind of memory it uses? Is it hardwired?
        > Dimms?
        > > Simms?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Bob
      • Paul Milligan
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
          <bob.findlay@b...> wrote:
          > Is it possible to increase the memory on the linkstation?
          >
          > I am considering buying one in order to run slim server software.
          > Running on my PC, the slim server software can take 90 MB of
          memory. As
          > the link station only comes with 64 (128?) I don't think it will run
          > particularly well!
          >
          > Does anybody know what kind of memory it uses? Is it hardwired?
          Dimms?
          > Simms?

          If you go to:-
          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1#q11
          you will see that it is (theoretically) possible to add a further
          64Mb.

          Regards
        • born_daniel
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
            Well, I can't say anything on FLAC encoded songs as I don't have any.
            All my songs are MP3 encoded, joint-stereo, 160kbps and they work
            mostly fine (98% of the time) and honestly, since I've gone to V5.4.1
            (some "nightly" release from around jan 24th) I haven't heard any
            pauses in the music streaming...

            Daniel

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "brc_pringle"
            <brucepringle@h...> wrote:

            > just out of interest I've got a collection of mainly FLAC plus a
            few
            > mp3s - comes to around 5000 songs - should the regular (64mb)
            > linkstation handle streaming ok using slimserver ?
            >
            > Many thanks
            >
            > Bruce.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
            > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Bob,
            > >
            > > This subject has been discussed at length in the past and
            although
            > > it's _possible_ to increase its memory, it isn't a simple "plug-
            in"
            > > operation. The regular linkstation has 64MB of RAM. The Kurobox
            HG
            > > comes with 128MB.
            > >
            > > However I can tell you that I am running slimserver on my
            > Linkstation
            > > 160 for a collection of 11000+ songs (v5.4.1) with great success
            > > (only the occasional "pause" in the streaming) and I'm assuming
            > that
            > > with the advent of V6 (SQL db), things will be even better...
            It's
            > > quite usable as it is right now.
            > >
            > > Just to give you an idea, this is a "typical" cpu/memory usage of
            > > slimserver on my linkstation:
            > >
            > > Idle: <1%cpu ~35%mem
            > > Streaming only: ~7%cpu ~50% mem
            > > Streaming&searching songs/browsing db: ~30%cpu ~60%mem
            > > Rescanning library: ~95%cpu ~70%mem
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > > Daniel
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bob findlay \(JIC\)"
            > > <bob.findlay@b...> wrote:
            > > > Is it possible to increase the memory on the linkstation?
            > > >
            > > > I am considering buying one in order to run slim server
            software.
            > > > Running on my PC, the slim server software can take 90 MB of
            > > memory. As
            > > > the link station only comes with 64 (128?) I don't think it
            will
            > run
            > > > particularly well!
            > > >
            > > > Does anybody know what kind of memory it uses? Is it
            hardwired?
            > > Dimms?
            > > > Simms?
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > >
            > > > Bob
          • Paul Milligan (home)
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2005
              Just a bit of further info, I've taken my Linkstation apart.There ate 2 unpopulated IC locations "just waiting for RAM". In my model the RAM is Hyundai
              HY57V561620CT-H. I've checked the maufacturers datasheet and it a 16Mx16 part running at 133MHz. It would seem to be a "pretty easy" upgrade.
              Unfortunately my soldering skills (and equipment) predate SMT or I'd try it myself. I'll have to see if any of my local colleges has an electronics department!

              bob findlay (JIC) wrote:
              Is it possible to increase the memory on the linkstation?

              I am considering buying one in order to run slim server software.
              Running on my PC, the slim server software can take 90 MB of memory.  As
              the link station only comes with 64 (128?) I don't think it will run
              particularly well!

              Does anybody know what kind of memory it uses?  Is it hardwired?  Dimms?
              Simms?

              Cheers,

              Bob
            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2005
                Paul
                Soldering in the RAM (if you could) will not increase your memory
                size from 64Mbytes to 128Mbytes. The memory is currently configured
                for 32 bits. To upgrade the memory to 128Mbytes (like the Kuro/HG
                is) you have to go to 64 bits. The processor has another mode for
                this. One of the unstuffed resistors on the board will no doubt
                switch it over. When I get my new SDRAM's "next week" I will
                install them and figure it out. I have been waiting for the memory
                to arrive for months. I keep hearing "next week". :-(
                But free SDRAM is hard to find. About $7.00 each if you can find a
                place to buy them.
                I will post the results if I get there before somebody else. It
                does not look like rocket science!!!
                It will also be interesting to see if we get better performance with
                a 64 bit memory bus.
                Rich
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

              • Paul Milligan (home)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"
                    <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:

                    Hi there,

                    I did some research which chips could be used to increase memory. The
                    following types should be compatible to those already soldered:

                    Hynix HY57V561620CT (-7)
                    Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E)
                    Infineon HYB39S256160DT (-7)

                    They are organised in 4Meg x 4 Banks x 16 Bits (32MByte per Chip).

                    They can be found on old PC133-128MB SDRAM (not DDRAM!) DIMM Modules.
                    It is possible to extract them from PCB using a hot-air-gun. You have
                    to take care of not overheating the chips by doing this. The air
                    should not exceed 400°C and the process should not last longer than 8
                    to 10s. Most chips survive this without problems (I already tried this
                    in other projects). Those DIMM modules are cheap and easy to get (used
                    ones for 10€ apiece = 4 chips). I disassembled such a DIMM module and
                    have now 4 of such chips for further experiments.

                    If we could know the Linkstation memory organization, it would be easy
                    to solder them on board. It is not necessary to use a 64 Bit bus for
                    128 MByte memory. There could also be some kind of memory address
                    decoder. Next week I have some time to do some measurements to clear
                    this up. Perhaps someone did this already and could share his
                    investigations. Especially interesting are these two resistors near
                    the RAMS (switches??, extra decoder lines??).

                    Best regards

                    /Frank.
                  • irvine_stock
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 4, 2005
                      Paul,
                      I can get them here in the states but small quantity are frowned
                      upon. They want to sell thousands. Being an Engineer I can get
                      samples and small quantities for proto runs.
                      Maybe if I can get it working I can send you some.
                      I would be surprised if you could remove those SDRAMs from a DIMM.
                      They usually are glued on with some solder paste and stuff so they
                      need the right equipment. Hot air is the best for me.
                      How much would it cost to send 2 to UK from California anyway?
                      I should get them on Monday and we will see...
                      Rich
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

                    • irvine_stock
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Frank,
                        I was going to blast you for throwing out so much misinformation
                        after I just stated how it is connected as 64 bits. Then I figured
                        you would just throw it back at me.
                        So instead:
                        This processor must be connected up as 64 bits to get 128Mbytes.
                        While it would be possible to connect up 32 bits to the PPC, this
                        PCB is not setup that way. I don't think anybody wants to wire two
                        50+ pin ICs with jumper wires. The other chip selects are not
                        exposed.
                        The two installed memories are not on the same data bits as the two
                        that are missing. Obviously this means it is 64 bits. The address
                        lines are the same for all 4 SDRAMs. In fact I also have some
                        larger SDRAMs with same pinout that I will be putting on my KuroBox
                        after I get four of the regular ones working. I don't know if the
                        software will initialize the larger SDRAMs or four smaller ones.
                        But its worth a try and it will probably just not work if I'm wrong.
                        I figure most folks will not want to remove the two RAMs that are
                        currently there. So I am working on the easy solution first.
                        No research is needed to figure out which SDRAMs you need to add.
                        They must be the same as the ones already there. Mixing will
                        usually not work unless the loader (kernel) was very well
                        programmed. They all have different programming and timing issues.
                        All five of my boxes have Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E). Everybody
                        else should check there's and only use the same ones. I already
                        know there is no decoder or spare address lines on the board. The
                        PPC does not need them.
                        And those two resistors appear to be the programming resistors for
                        the SDRAM and flash. One will enable the 4 SDRAMS and the other
                        will program the two FLASH devices for 64 bits too. Flash will be
                        interesting since it will require a reprogramming of the current
                        parts. But until I get SDRAMs into mine, I can't say for sure on
                        the resistors. Buffalo forgot to mark them for us :-)
                        Rich
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "freifegerste"
                        <printmaster@i...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"
                        > <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > Hi there,
                        >
                        > I did some research which chips could be used to increase memory.
                        The
                        > following types should be compatible to those already soldered:
                        >
                        > Hynix HY57V561620CT (-7)
                        > Micron MT48LC16M16A2 (-7E)
                        > Infineon HYB39S256160DT (-7)
                        >
                        > They are organised in 4Meg x 4 Banks x 16 Bits (32MByte per Chip).
                        >
                        > They can be found on old PC133-128MB SDRAM (not DDRAM!) DIMM
                        Modules.
                        > It is possible to extract them from PCB using a hot-air-gun. You
                        have
                        > to take care of not overheating the chips by doing this. The air
                        > should not exceed 400°C and the process should not last longer
                        than 8
                        > to 10s. Most chips survive this without problems (I already tried
                        this
                        > in other projects). Those DIMM modules are cheap and easy to get
                        (used
                        > ones for 10€ apiece = 4 chips). I disassembled such a DIMM module
                        and
                        > have now 4 of such chips for further experiments.
                        >
                        > If we could know the Linkstation memory organization, it would be
                        easy
                        > to solder them on board. It is not necessary to use a 64 Bit bus
                        for
                        > 128 MByte memory. There could also be some kind of memory address
                        > decoder. Next week I have some time to do some measurements to
                        clear
                        > this up. Perhaps someone did this already and could share his
                        > investigations. Especially interesting are these two resistors near
                        > the RAMS (switches??, extra decoder lines??).
                        >
                        > Best regards
                        >
                        > /Frank.
                      • irvine_stock
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                          Paul,
                          Finally got my SDRAM in. I installed both SDRAM's. Same speed and
                          type as the originals. Turned the board on and it still works
                          fine. :)
                          However it does not see the other two SDRAM's. That was pretty much
                          expected. The board had to be configured for 32 bits somehow. I
                          confirmed it is connected up as either 32 bit or 64 bit.
                          One 1K resistor decides if its 64Mbytes or 128Mbytes. The resistor
                          in forces 32 bit mode. Taking the resistor out forces 64 bit mode.
                          Well 64bit mode only makes the unit hang until the watchdog timer
                          kills the power. No uart access at all.
                          Couple of possibilities I see at this point.
                          1) The firmware does not allow 64 bit mode.
                          2) I didn't get it into 64 bit mode.
                          3) SDRAM could be bad or soldered wrong. (not likely)
                          Since the Kuro/HG does support 4 SDRAM's it could still be either 1
                          or 2. Will have to spend some more time researching other
                          possibilities. Trying to use my wiggler on the JTAG to access the
                          memory and decode if the memory size is changing right.

                          During this execise I also confirmed that the Flash @IC18 is used as
                          8 bit, not 16 as I saw reported somewhere (I think here).
                          To much misinformation is reported. If you don't know then don't
                          say you do know. Say your guessing or your sons girlfiend who is a
                          biology major thinks so. :-)
                          Yes the flash is a 16 bit part but its shorted to byte mode. Its
                          chip select is connected to RCS0 for access. The flash at IC19 (if
                          installed) is connected up in parallel with the exception it uses
                          RCS1 for access. So both parts can be installed together. If more
                          Flash is needed it looks pretty simple to solder it in. But they
                          both are still 8 bit.
                          Rich

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)"

                        • Marc Bizer
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
                            Hi everyone,

                            Though utter stupidity, I just clobbered my /usr/local/bin
                            subdirectory. I have no idea what was in it before, but what can I do
                            to restore it?

                            --Marc
                          • Tim Lewis
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
                              Marc Bizer wrote:

                              > Though utter stupidity, I just clobbered my /usr/local/bin
                              > subdirectory. I have no idea what was in it before, but what can I do
                              > to restore it?

                              What firmware do you have? In the 1.45_13 firmware, there is no
                              "/usr/local/bin". Did you clobber "/usr/local"? The only thing that's
                              in there are printer definitions.

                              You can probably restore it by doing another firmware install.
                              If you can't do that I can send you a tar of the directory.

                              Let me know...

                              - Tim
                            • Marc Bizer
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
                                On 2/16/05 at 11:10 PM -0500, Tim Lewis wrote:
                                >What firmware do you have? In the 1.45_13 firmware, there is no
                                >"/usr/local/bin". Did you clobber "/usr/local"? The only thing that's
                                >in there are printer definitions.

                                I have 1.44, but I think that my update to netatalk 2.0.2 installed
                                stuff in /usr/local/bin. I'm going to do another ./configure, make,
                                and make install to see if that restores stuff.

                                Thanks for your help!

                                --Marc
                              • Marc Bizer
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005

                                  In my /var/log/messages, I'm seeing errors like this:

                                  Feb 16 22:26:24 TREE250 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
                                  reached, running e2fsck is recommended

                                  Any idea why? Has anyone else seen this?

                                  --Marc
                                • Tim Lewis
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 16, 2005
                                    Marc Bizer wrote:
                                    > In my /var/log/messages, I'm seeing errors like this:
                                    >
                                    > Feb 16 22:26:24 TREE250 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
                                    > reached, running e2fsck is recommended
                                    >
                                    > Any idea why? Has anyone else seen this?

                                    Yes, only every time I'm in hurry to boot a Linux system!!! :)

                                    This is a fairly routine message and is nothing to worry
                                    about. It's just a little reminder for Linux that it needs
                                    to perform a filesystem check.

                                    Linux keeps a count of how many times it mounts its partitions.
                                    Usually during boot, Linux checks to see how many times a
                                    partition has been mounted, and if this value equals the
                                    "maximum mount count" for the partition, it performs a file
                                    system check. The boot sequence pauses while the file system
                                    check is performed, and continues when it is finished. When
                                    you're in a hurry to boot a Linux machine, and this occurs,
                                    the wait can be maddening, which is why this is often referred
                                    to as, "losing the lottery".

                                    Try restarting your LinkStation, and see if it takes longer to
                                    boot (i.e. it performs a check). You shouldn't see those messages
                                    for a while after that. If this doesn't fix the problem, you can run
                                    a disk check from the administration page. That should make the
                                    messages go away for a while.

                                    You can view when the next time this is going to occur
                                    with "/sbin/tune2fs -l /dev/hda3". You can also set the,
                                    "maximum mount count", as well as the, "mount count", using
                                    tune2fs, but I don't recommend doing this, especially not on
                                    a mounted filesystem.

                                    I'm on 19 out of 24 mounts, so I'll be doing this soon, too.

                                    - Tim
                                  • James Ronald
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 27, 2005
                                      > Finally got my SDRAM in. I installed both SDRAM's. Same speed and
                                      > type as the originals. Turned the board on and it still works
                                      > fine. :)
                                      > However it does not see the other two SDRAM's. That was pretty much
                                      > expected. The board had to be configured for 32 bits somehow. I
                                      > confirmed it is connected up as either 32 bit or 64 bit.
                                      > One 1K resistor decides if its 64Mbytes or 128Mbytes. The resistor
                                      > in forces 32 bit mode. Taking the resistor out forces 64 bit mode.
                                      > Well 64bit mode only makes the unit hang until the watchdog timer
                                      > kills the power. No uart access at all.
                                      > Couple of possibilities I see at this point.
                                      > 1) The firmware does not allow 64 bit mode.
                                      > 2) I didn't get it into 64 bit mode.
                                      > 3) SDRAM could be bad or soldered wrong. (not likely)
                                      > Since the Kuro/HG does support 4 SDRAM's it could still be either 1
                                      > or 2. Will have to spend some more time researching other
                                      > possibilities. Trying to use my wiggler on the JTAG to access the
                                      > memory and decode if the memory size is changing right.
                                      >
                                      > During this execise I also confirmed that the Flash @IC18 is used as
                                      > 8 bit, not 16 as I saw reported somewhere (I think here).
                                      > To much misinformation is reported. If you don't know then don't
                                      > say you do know. Say your guessing or your sons girlfiend who is a
                                      > biology major thinks so. :-)
                                      > Yes the flash is a 16 bit part but its shorted to byte mode. Its
                                      > chip select is connected to RCS0 for access. The flash at IC19 (if
                                      > installed) is connected up in parallel with the exception it uses
                                      > RCS1 for access. So both parts can be installed together. If more
                                      > Flash is needed it looks pretty simple to solder it in. But they
                                      > both are still 8 bit.
                                      > Rich

                                      Rich,

                                      Any progress on the SDRAM upgrade to 128MB?

                                      JR