Re: Pcast

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
      Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?

      Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
      that is outside of Japan.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
      <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
      > Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)
    • -/\-
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
        I got it for 3 months now :)
        http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

        "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
        message news:ctmjso+p8mt@......

        > Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?
        >
        > Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
        > that is outside of Japan.

        > "-/\\-"
        > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
        >> Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ortho_man
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
          Hi all,

          I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
          the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play multimedia
          content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
          telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory to
          get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision. My
          question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP devices,
          which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices like
          Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
          additional software on the machine.
          Thanks for your help.

          Jens

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
          <gfesler@c...> wrote:
          > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast directory
          has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
          directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info. Anybody
          have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

          Service.
        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
            I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
            would find it on the network.
            I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
            fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
            the righ port No.

            I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
            install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

            Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
            to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
            The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
            thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
            I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
            Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
            that American software companies have offshored code development,
            foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

            Fortunately competition has arrived with the $80 NSLU2 from Linksys
            known for its trusted functionalities unlike half baked code from
            Japan.

            To that end I must add sincerely, the Buffalo US support team does a
            great job being treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed
            manure from their holding company). I have run in few support teams
            that well tuned.

            If you made it to this line, I can say that I am looking forward to
            run the 1.46 Fwr, with Telnet and a Twonkyserver.

            As always keep in mind:
            "new software only means new bugs and more fixes to be found!"
            sam.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
            <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
            > the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play
            multimedia
            > content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
            > telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory
            > get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision.
            My
            > question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP
            devices,
            > which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices
            like
            > Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
            > additional software on the machine.
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Jens
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
            > <gfesler@c...> wrote:
            > > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast
            directory
            > has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
            > directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info.
            Anybody
            > have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

          • Tim Lewis
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
              Frenchy wrote:

              > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
              > would find it on the network.
              > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
              > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
              > the righ port No.

              Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
              lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.

              But something seems awry...

              > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
              > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

              Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

              > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
              > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".

              Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?

              > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
              > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).

              Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

              > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
              > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
              > that American software companies have offshored code development,
              > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

              HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!

              /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.

              :) :) :)

              - Tim
            • ortho_man
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                wrote:
                > Frenchy wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                > > would find it on the network.
                > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                with
                > > the righ port No.
                >
                > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                >
                > But something seems awry...
                >
                > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                >
                > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                >
                > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                firmware
                > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                >
                > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                >
                > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                >
                > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                >
                > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                Revogear
                > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                Now
                > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                >
                > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                >
                > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                >
                > :) :) :)
                >
                > - Tim
              • st0yan
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14 1:57 PM
                  Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                  is supposed to do:
                  http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                  Search for uPnP.
                  Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                  LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...

                  Cheers!
                  st0yan@...

                  <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Frenchy wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                  > > > would find it on the network.
                  > > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                  > > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                  > with
                  > > > the righ port No.
                  > >
                  > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                  > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                  > >
                  > > But something seems awry...
                  > >
                  > > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                  > > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                  > >
                  > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                  > >
                  > > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                  > firmware
                  > > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                  > >
                  > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                  > >
                  > > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                  > > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                  > >
                  > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                  > >
                  > > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                  > Revogear
                  > > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                  > Now
                  > > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                  > > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                  > >
                  > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                  > >
                  > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                  > >
                  > > :) :) :)
                  > >
                  > > - Tim
                • cliff_ainsworth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 15 12:56 AM
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "st0yan" <st0yan@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what
                    PCast
                    > is supposed to do:
                    > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                    > Search for uPnP.
                    > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                    > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                    >
                    > Cheers!

                    Has anyone confirmed if the uPnP functionality works on a Version 2
                    Unit?

                    I'm within my 7 day DSR grace period and think I'm going to return
                    my verion 1 unit

                    Thanks
                  • ortho_man
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 15 5:50 AM
                      Thanks for the link :-))

                      wrote:

                      > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                      > is supposed to do:
                      > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                      > Search for uPnP.
                      > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                      > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                      >
                      > Cheers!
                      > st0yan@y...
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                      > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
                      <spurp@c...>
                      > > wrote:

                      MP101
                      > > with
                      > > >
                      > > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's
                      going to
                      > > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                      > > >
                      > > > But something seems awry...

                      > > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                      > > firmware
                      > > >
                      > > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting
                      at?

                      > > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                      > > Revogear
                      > > Now
                      > > >
                      > > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                      > > >
                      > > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                      > > >
                      > > > :) :) :)
                      > > >
                      > > > - Tim
                    • st0yan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 15 10:42 AM
                        Well, it does not say much anyway and I have not tried it since my
                        unit has the older firmware. But if anyone has a definite answer on
                        whether PCast supports uPnP, PLEASE let us know.

                        st0yan