Re: Pcast

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
      I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
      present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
      stream the video data to my PC.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
      <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

      > (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
      > interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
      > the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
    • -/\-
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
        Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)

        "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
        message news:ctmhqq+d3ss@......

        > I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
        > present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
        > stream the video data to my PC.

        > "chano22000"
        > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
        >
        >> (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
        >> interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
        >> the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
          Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?

          Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
          that is outside of Japan.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
            I got it for 3 months now :)
            http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

            "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
            message news:ctmjso+p8mt@......

            > Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?
            >
            > Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
            > that is outside of Japan.

            > "-/\\-"
            > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
            >> Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ortho_man
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
              Hi all,

              I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
              the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play multimedia
              content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
              telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory to
              get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision. My
              question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP devices,
              which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices like
              Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
              additional software on the machine.
              Thanks for your help.

              Jens

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
              <gfesler@c...> wrote:
              > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast directory
              has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
              directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info. Anybody
              have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

              Service.
            • Frenchy
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                would find it on the network.
                I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                the righ port No.

                I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                that American software companies have offshored code development,
                foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                Fortunately competition has arrived with the $80 NSLU2 from Linksys
                known for its trusted functionalities unlike half baked code from
                Japan.

                To that end I must add sincerely, the Buffalo US support team does a
                great job being treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed
                manure from their holding company). I have run in few support teams
                that well tuned.

                If you made it to this line, I can say that I am looking forward to
                run the 1.46 Fwr, with Telnet and a Twonkyserver.

                As always keep in mind:
                "new software only means new bugs and more fixes to be found!"
                sam.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
                > the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play
                multimedia
                > content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
                > telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory
                > get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision.
                My
                > question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP
                devices,
                > which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices
                like
                > Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
                > additional software on the machine.
                > Thanks for your help.
                >
                > Jens
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
                > <gfesler@c...> wrote:
                > > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast
                directory
                > has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
                > directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info.
                Anybody
                > have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

              • Tim Lewis
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                  Frenchy wrote:

                  > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                  > would find it on the network.
                  > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                  > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                  > the righ port No.

                  Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                  lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.

                  But something seems awry...

                  > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                  > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                  Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                  > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                  > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".

                  Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?

                  > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                  > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).

                  Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                  > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                  > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                  > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                  > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                  HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!

                  /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.

                  :) :) :)

                  - Tim
                • ortho_man
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Frenchy wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                    > > would find it on the network.
                    > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                    > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                    with
                    > > the righ port No.
                    >
                    > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                    > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                    >
                    > But something seems awry...
                    >
                    > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                    > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                    >
                    > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                    >
                    > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                    firmware
                    > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                    >
                    > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                    >
                    > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                    > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                    >
                    > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                    >
                    > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                    Revogear
                    > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                    Now
                    > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                    > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                    >
                    > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                    >
                    > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                    >
                    > :) :) :)
                    >
                    > - Tim
                  • st0yan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14 1:57 PM
                      Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                      is supposed to do:
                      http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                      Search for uPnP.
                      Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                      LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...

                      Cheers!
                      st0yan@...

                      <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Frenchy wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                      > > > would find it on the network.
                      > > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                      > > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                      > with
                      > > > the righ port No.
                      > >
                      > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                      > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                      > >
                      > > But something seems awry...
                      > >
                      > > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                      > > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                      > >
                      > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                      > >
                      > > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                      > firmware
                      > > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                      > >
                      > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                      > >
                      > > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                      > > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                      > >
                      > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                      > >
                      > > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                      > Revogear
                      > > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                      > Now
                      > > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                      > > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                      > >
                      > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                      > >
                      > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                      > >
                      > > :) :) :)
                      > >
                      > > - Tim
                    • cliff_ainsworth
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 15 12:56 AM
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "st0yan" <st0yan@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what
                        PCast
                        > is supposed to do:
                        > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                        > Search for uPnP.
                        > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                        > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                        >
                        > Cheers!

                        Has anyone confirmed if the uPnP functionality works on a Version 2
                        Unit?

                        I'm within my 7 day DSR grace period and think I'm going to return
                        my verion 1 unit

                        Thanks
                      • ortho_man
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 15 5:50 AM
                          Thanks for the link :-))

                          wrote:

                          > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                          > is supposed to do:
                          > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                          > Search for uPnP.
                          > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                          > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                          >
                          > Cheers!
                          > st0yan@y...
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                          > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
                          <spurp@c...>
                          > > wrote:

                          MP101
                          > > with
                          > > >
                          > > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's
                          going to
                          > > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                          > > >
                          > > > But something seems awry...

                          > > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                          > > firmware
                          > > >
                          > > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting
                          at?

                          > > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                          > > Revogear
                          > > Now
                          > > >
                          > > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                          > > >
                          > > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                          > > >
                          > > > :) :) :)
                          > > >
                          > > > - Tim
                        • st0yan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 15 10:42 AM
                            Well, it does not say much anyway and I have not tried it since my
                            unit has the older firmware. But if anyone has a definite answer on
                            whether PCast supports uPnP, PLEASE let us know.

                            st0yan