SMB semantics and Linux

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      Although I can examine shares on my LS 160 with Linux and copy files
      back and forth, I cannot directly open a file on a share. Here's an
      example diagnostic when I try to use gedit:

      Could not open the file "smb://ls160/dmk/nfs-howto.html" because
      access was denied.

      When I look at the file's permissions via gnome, it says they're 777,
      but owned by root.root. I mounted the share from my Linux system as
      user "dmk". And when I look on the LS160 directly, the file is 644
      owned by dmk.dmk.

      I guess I don't understand how SMB permissions work. I'd like to be
      able to access files on the (LS160) server directly, rather than just
      copy on/off. Could someone educate me? Thanks.

      Dave Kristol
      (BTW, I have gotten NFS to work, and I can do this via an NFS mount,
      but I'm curious why I can't get it to work via SMB.)