Re: Newbie question..Pardon the ignorance...

  • dtebh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
      Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
      capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
      server.

      I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
      printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.

      Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the server,
      ie. W2k or XP, etc.?

      Thanks in advance.
      Ed.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
      wrote:

      > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
      > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
      >
      > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too pricy...I
      > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity, although
      > not a requirement on day one.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ed,
      > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
      > > You can also convert it back if need be.
      > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
      > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I came across this board after becoming interested in the
      Buffalo
      > > > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
      > > box,
      > > > and even just building my own KURO box.
      > > >
      > > > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
      > > Buffalo?
      > > >
      > > > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the
      buffalo
      > > box
      > > > to a KURO?
      > > >
      > > > I don't know didly about linux.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance,
      > > >
      > > > Ed.
    • dtebh
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        BUMP

        wrote:

        > Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
        > Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
        > capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
        > server.
        >
        > I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
        > printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.
        >
        > Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the
        server,
        > ie. W2k or XP, etc.?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Ed.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
        > > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
        > >
        > > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too
        pricy...I
        > > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity,
        although
        > > not a requirement on day one.
        > >

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
        > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Ed,
        > > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
        > > > You can also convert it back if need be.
        > > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
        > > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh"
        <dtebh@e...>

        > Buffalo
        > > > box,

        > > > Buffalo?

        > buffalo
        > > > box

      • Jose Quezada
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          woohoo! got my ls-kuro server back working, and i
          didn't lose any data!

          here's what i did (if you're so inclined):
          0: in case you didn't recall: i bricked my ls-kuro by
          accidently deleting /bin, /etc, /usr. i am a highly
          trained idiot, don't try that at home.

          1: i removed my hd from my ls-kuro, then plugged it
          into one of my windows servers at work.

          2: i booted said win server with a knoppix cd (this cd
          is god-sent).

          3: used qtpart to reformat hda1 into an ext2 partition
          & hda2 into a linux-swap partition. both partitions
          were unknown to knoppix.

          4: loaded the tmpimage from revogear unto hda1.

          5: put my ls hd back into the ls

          6: restarted ls.

          that was it. my kurobox was back & everything in hda3
          (all my shares, etc) were there & intact. back in
          business.

          thanks to all who helped.

          jq

          http://mail.yahoo.com