Re: Newbie question..Pardon the ignorance...

  • dtebh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
      buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.

      Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too pricy...I
      would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity, although
      not a requirement on day one.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

      > Ed,
      > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
      > You can also convert it back if need be.
      > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
      > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I came across this board after becoming interested in the Buffalo
      > > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
      > box,
      > > and even just building my own KURO box.
      > >
      > > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
      > Buffalo?
      > >
      > > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the buffalo
      > box
      > > to a KURO?
      > >
      > > I don't know didly about linux.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > >
      > > Ed.
    • dtebh
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
        Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
        capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
        server.

        I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
        printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.

        Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the server,
        ie. W2k or XP, etc.?

        Thanks in advance.
        Ed.

        wrote:

        > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
        > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
        >
        > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too pricy...I
        > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity, although
        > not a requirement on day one.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
        > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ed,
        > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
        > > You can also convert it back if need be.
        > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
        > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I came across this board after becoming interested in the
        Buffalo
        > > > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
        > > box,
        > > > and even just building my own KURO box.
        > > >
        > > > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
        > > Buffalo?
        > > >
        > > > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the
        buffalo
        > > box
        > > > to a KURO?
        > > >
        > > > I don't know didly about linux.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance,
        > > >
        > > > Ed.
      • dtebh
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          BUMP

          wrote:

          > Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
          > Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
          > capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
          > server.
          >
          > I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
          > printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.
          >
          > Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the
          server,
          > ie. W2k or XP, etc.?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Ed.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
          > > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
          > >
          > > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too
          pricy...I
          > > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity,
          although
          > > not a requirement on day one.
          > >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
          > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Ed,
          > > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
          > > > You can also convert it back if need be.
          > > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
          > > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh"
          <dtebh@e...>

          > Buffalo
          > > > box,

          > > > Buffalo?

          > buffalo
          > > > box

        • Jose Quezada
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            woohoo! got my ls-kuro server back working, and i
            didn't lose any data!

            here's what i did (if you're so inclined):
            0: in case you didn't recall: i bricked my ls-kuro by
            accidently deleting /bin, /etc, /usr. i am a highly
            trained idiot, don't try that at home.

            1: i removed my hd from my ls-kuro, then plugged it
            into one of my windows servers at work.

            2: i booted said win server with a knoppix cd (this cd
            is god-sent).

            3: used qtpart to reformat hda1 into an ext2 partition
            & hda2 into a linux-swap partition. both partitions
            were unknown to knoppix.

            4: loaded the tmpimage from revogear unto hda1.

            5: put my ls hd back into the ls

            6: restarted ls.

            that was it. my kurobox was back & everything in hda3
            (all my shares, etc) were there & intact. back in
            business.

            thanks to all who helped.

            jq

            http://mail.yahoo.com