Newbie question..Pardon the ignorance...

  • dtebh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      I came across this board after becoming interested in the Buffalo
      server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the box,
      and even just building my own KURO box.

      What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla Buffalo?

      If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the buffalo box
      to a KURO?

      I don't know didly about linux.

      Thanks in advance,

      Ed.
    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        Ed,
        You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
        You can also convert it back if need be.
        The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
        The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
        wrote:

        > I came across this board after becoming interested in the Buffalo
        > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
        box,
        > and even just building my own KURO box.
        >
        > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
        Buffalo?

        > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the buffalo
        box
        > to a KURO?
        >
        > I don't know didly about linux.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Ed.
      • dtebh
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
          buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.

          Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too pricy...I
          would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity, although
          not a requirement on day one.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
          <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

          > Ed,
          > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
          > You can also convert it back if need be.
          > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
          > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I came across this board after becoming interested in the Buffalo
          > > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
          > box,
          > > and even just building my own KURO box.
          > >
          > > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
          > Buffalo?
          > >
          > > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the buffalo
          > box
          > > to a KURO?
          > >
          > > I don't know didly about linux.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > >
          > > Ed.
        • dtebh
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
            Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
            Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
            capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
            server.

            I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
            printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.

            Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the server,
            ie. W2k or XP, etc.?

            Thanks in advance.
            Ed.

            wrote:

            > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
            > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
            >
            > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too pricy...I
            > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity, although
            > not a requirement on day one.
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
            > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Ed,
            > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
            > > You can also convert it back if need be.
            > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
            > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I came across this board after becoming interested in the
            Buffalo
            > > > server products, and see LOTS of references here to hacking the
            > > box,
            > > > and even just building my own KURO box.
            > > >
            > > > What is the benefit as opposed to just the plain jane vanilla
            > > Buffalo?
            > > >
            > > > If there is a significant benefit, could I 'convert' the
            buffalo
            > > box
            > > > to a KURO?
            > > >
            > > > I don't know didly about linux.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance,
            > > >
            > > > Ed.
          • dtebh
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
              BUMP

              wrote:

              > Also, does anyone have any benchmarking information on the
              > Buffalo/Kuro print server functionality? Seems the file server
              > capability is at least as good as a W2K workstation acting as a
              > server.
              >
              > I have W2K clinet workstations and use the HP all-in-one type
              > printers R60/G85 with scan/copy/print/fax capability.
              >
              > Lastly, any feedback on interoperability of clients using the
              server,
              > ie. W2k or XP, etc.?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              > Ed.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh" <dtebh@e...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Ok...thx..Since I know nothing about Linux, I will just go the
              > > buffalo route and keep investigating the future options.
              > >
              > > Seems like the tera server is the way to go, but just too
              pricy...I
              > > would really like the gigabit network and raid capabiity,
              although
              > > not a requirement on day one.
              > >

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
              > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Ed,
              > > > You can convert a LinkStation to a Kuro very easily.
              > > > You can also convert it back if need be.
              > > > The Linkstation does not need much Linux experience.
              > > > The Kuro is all about Linux experience but simpler to add stuff.
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtebh"
              <dtebh@e...>

              > Buffalo
              > > > box,

              > > > Buffalo?

              > buffalo
              > > > box

            • Jose Quezada
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
                woohoo! got my ls-kuro server back working, and i
                didn't lose any data!

                here's what i did (if you're so inclined):
                0: in case you didn't recall: i bricked my ls-kuro by
                accidently deleting /bin, /etc, /usr. i am a highly
                trained idiot, don't try that at home.

                1: i removed my hd from my ls-kuro, then plugged it
                into one of my windows servers at work.

                2: i booted said win server with a knoppix cd (this cd
                is god-sent).

                3: used qtpart to reformat hda1 into an ext2 partition
                & hda2 into a linux-swap partition. both partitions
                were unknown to knoppix.

                4: loaded the tmpimage from revogear unto hda1.

                5: put my ls hd back into the ls

                6: restarted ls.

                that was it. my kurobox was back & everything in hda3
                (all my shares, etc) were there & intact. back in
                business.

                thanks to all who helped.

                jq

                http://mail.yahoo.com