Pcast

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hi,

      The 1.46 LS firmware brings the pcast media server (previous
      versions did not include the pcastd server iself, but only the skin).

      I understand that it allows compatible players (like IO-Data Link
      Player or Buffalo LinkTheater) to directly access media content on
      the LS.

      Can pcast be used (like Slimserver) without such dedicated devices
      from a workstation (Mac, Linux, Windows ...) and has this any
      interest ?

      Thanks for your understanding.

      PS
      (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
      interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
      the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
    • Gary Fesler

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
          I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
          present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
          stream the video data to my PC.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
          <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

          > (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
          > interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
          > the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
        • -/\-
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
            Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)

            "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
            message news:ctmhqq+d3ss@......

            > I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
            > present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
            > stream the video data to my PC.

            > "chano22000"
            > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
            >
            >> (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
            >> interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
            >> the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • stratmoens
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
              Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?

              Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
              that is outside of Japan.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                I got it for 3 months now :)
                http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

                "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
                message news:ctmjso+p8mt@......

                > Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?
                >
                > Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
                > that is outside of Japan.

                > "-/\\-"
                > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                >> Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ortho_man
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
                  Hi all,

                  I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
                  the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play multimedia
                  content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
                  telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory to
                  get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision. My
                  question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP devices,
                  which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices like
                  Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
                  additional software on the machine.
                  Thanks for your help.

                  Jens

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
                  <gfesler@c...> wrote:
                  > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast directory
                  has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
                  directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info. Anybody
                  have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

                  Service.
                • Frenchy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                    I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                    would find it on the network.
                    I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                    fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                    the righ port No.

                    I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                    install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                    Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                    to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                    The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                    thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                    I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                    Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                    that American software companies have offshored code development,
                    foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                    Fortunately competition has arrived with the $80 NSLU2 from Linksys
                    known for its trusted functionalities unlike half baked code from
                    Japan.

                    To that end I must add sincerely, the Buffalo US support team does a
                    great job being treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed
                    manure from their holding company). I have run in few support teams
                    that well tuned.

                    If you made it to this line, I can say that I am looking forward to
                    run the 1.46 Fwr, with Telnet and a Twonkyserver.

                    As always keep in mind:
                    "new software only means new bugs and more fixes to be found!"
                    sam.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                    <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
                    > the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play
                    multimedia
                    > content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
                    > telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory
                    > get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision.
                    My
                    > question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP
                    devices,
                    > which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices
                    like
                    > Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
                    > additional software on the machine.
                    > Thanks for your help.
                    >
                    > Jens
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
                    > <gfesler@c...> wrote:
                    > > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast
                    directory
                    > has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
                    > directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info.
                    Anybody
                    > have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

                  • Tim Lewis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                      Frenchy wrote:

                      > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                      > would find it on the network.
                      > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                      > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                      > the righ port No.

                      Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                      lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.

                      But something seems awry...

                      > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                      > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                      Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                      > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                      > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".

                      Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?

                      > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                      > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).

                      Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                      > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                      > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                      > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                      > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                      HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!

                      /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.

                      :) :) :)

                      - Tim
                    • ortho_man
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > Frenchy wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                        > > would find it on the network.
                        > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                        > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                        with
                        > > the righ port No.
                        >
                        > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                        > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                        >
                        > But something seems awry...
                        >
                        > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                        > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                        >
                        > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                        >
                        > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                        firmware
                        > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                        >
                        > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                        >
                        > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                        > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                        >
                        > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                        >
                        > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                        Revogear
                        > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                        Now
                        > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                        > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                        >
                        > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                        >
                        > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                        >
                        > :) :) :)
                        >
                        > - Tim
                      • st0yan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 14, 2005
                          Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                          is supposed to do:
                          http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                          Search for uPnP.
                          Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                          LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...

                          Cheers!
                          st0yan@...

                          <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Frenchy wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                          > > > would find it on the network.
                          > > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                          > > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                          > with
                          > > > the righ port No.
                          > >
                          > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                          > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                          > >
                          > > But something seems awry...
                          > >
                          > > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                          > > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                          > >
                          > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                          > >
                          > > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                          > firmware
                          > > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                          > >
                          > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                          > >
                          > > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                          > > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                          > >
                          > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                          > >
                          > > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                          > Revogear
                          > > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                          > Now
                          > > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                          > > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                          > >
                          > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                          > >
                          > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                          > >
                          > > :) :) :)
                          > >
                          > > - Tim
                        • cliff_ainsworth
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "st0yan" <st0yan@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what
                            PCast
                            > is supposed to do:
                            > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                            > Search for uPnP.
                            > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                            > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                            >
                            > Cheers!

                            Has anyone confirmed if the uPnP functionality works on a Version 2
                            Unit?

                            I'm within my 7 day DSR grace period and think I'm going to return
                            my verion 1 unit

                            Thanks
                          • ortho_man
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
                              Thanks for the link :-))

                              wrote:

                              > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                              > is supposed to do:
                              > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                              > Search for uPnP.
                              > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                              > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                              >
                              > Cheers!
                              > st0yan@y...
                              >
                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                              > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
                              <spurp@c...>
                              > > wrote:

                              MP101
                              > > with
                              > > >
                              > > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's
                              going to
                              > > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                              > > >
                              > > > But something seems awry...

                              > > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                              > > firmware
                              > > >
                              > > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting
                              at?

                              > > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                              > > Revogear
                              > > Now
                              > > >
                              > > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                              > > >
                              > > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                              > > >
                              > > > :) :) :)
                              > > >
                              > > > - Tim
                            • st0yan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
                                Well, it does not say much anyway and I have not tried it since my
                                unit has the older firmware. But if anyone has a definite answer on
                                whether PCast supports uPnP, PLEASE let us know.

                                st0yan