Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Rookie needs help hacking Linkstation via telnet

  • Paul Milligan (home)
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
      Could you check that you have done chmod 777  /www/cgi-bin3/accesspath.sh

      It sounds as if the file is not executable.

      scottnasello wrote:

      I'm pleased to announce that I am able to telnet after downgrading
      from 1.46 to 1.45 - thanks for the help

      True to my rookie form, I need some more guidance...
      I have already created a new directory .../cgi-bin3
      I have already created a new script accesspass.sh...
      I created the script using VI, and my 2 rows are identitical to the
      help file

      where I'm stuck:
      the instructions say to open my script in my browser, eg:
      http://192.168.XX.xx/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh

      my browser responds with a dialog box:

      File Download
      filename: accesspass.sh
      from 192.168.XX.XX

      I can open, save, or cancel.  If I try open, I don't have any program
      to run it (Windows XP box)

      What do I need to do here?
      thanks

    • scottnasello
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
        cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
        #! /bin/sh
        chmod 666 /etc/passwd

        ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
        -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
        bin3/accesspass.sh
      • scottnasello
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
          I think I got this sorted out.

          ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
          -rwxr-xr-x- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
          bin3/accesspass.sh

          this corresponds with one of the help files

          I have a new issue:

          vi /etc/passwd returns (first couple of lines only):

          etc/passwd: unmodified: line 1oot:/bin/bash
          bin:*1:1:bin:/bin:
          daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
          sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
          adm:*4:4:adm:/var/adm:
          I do see my encrypted password, I just don't see the root encrypted
          password. Any ideas what the issue is?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
          <trash@s...> wrote:

          > cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
          > #! /bin/sh
          > chmod 666 /etc/passwd
          >
          > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
          > -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
          > bin3/accesspass.sh
        • scottnasello
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
            All is well, logged in as root. (Yippee) Please close this thread

            thanks for all of the excellent assistance from all

            thanks again for making my virgin adventure into Linux ok.

            scott
            <trash@s...> wrote:

            > I think I got this sorted out.
            >
            > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
            > -rwxr-xr-x- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
            > bin3/accesspass.sh
            >
            > this corresponds with one of the help files
            >
            > I have a new issue:
            >
            > vi /etc/passwd returns (first couple of lines only):
            >
            > etc/passwd: unmodified: line 1oot:/bin/bash
            > bin:*1:1:bin:/bin:
            > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
            > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
            > adm:*4:4:adm:/var/adm:
            > I do see my encrypted password, I just don't see the root encrypted
            > password. Any ideas what the issue is?
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
            > <trash@s...> wrote:
            > >
            > > cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
            > > #! /bin/sh
            > > chmod 666 /etc/passwd
            > >
            > > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
            > > -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
            > > bin3/accesspass.sh
          • Jose Quezada
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
              so i converted my ls to a kurobox. everything went
              fine. but while i was untaring some of the binary
              files (from the binary.zip from revogear), i ran out
              of space. so i moved all the files from /usr to
              /mnt/usr and then created a symbolic link /usr ->
              /mnt/usr. this cleared up a bunch of space. i then
              preceded to clean out some more space, except i
              screwed up and deleted /etc, /sbin, and /usr. Now i
              can't telnet, ftp, or ssh into my kuro-ified ls.

              When i push in the little red button on the back, my
              kuro-ls reboots, the link light flashes a few times
              and then goes solid green. then my power light
              flashes green for about 60 seconds and then both the
              link and power lights go out. my diag light then goes
              on, red, and continously flashes 6 times.

              I went to
              http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=LedDescriptions
              and found out that 6 red diag flashes means that
              ppc_uartd isn't running or I'm missing some key files.
              This makes sense being that i deleted /etc, /usr/ and
              /sbin.

              so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't care
              about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
              possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind going
              back to an initial state.

              your help is greatly appreciated.

              btw: i have a powerbook with virtual pc to work with.

              JQ

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • Frederik Kunz
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                Jose Quezada wrote:
                > so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't care
                > about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                > possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind going
                > back to an initial state.
                try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty drive (no
                partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.

                Then shut down the box and replace the drives again. You should then be
                able to fix the mess you made under EM.
              • Jose Quezada
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                  thanks Frederick. unfortunately i don't have an empty
                  drive laying around. is there any other way to fix
                  this?

                  jq
                  --- Frederik Kunz <frederik.kunz@...> wrote:

                  > Jose Quezada wrote:
                  > > so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't
                  > care
                  > > about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                  > > possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind
                  > going
                  > > back to an initial state.
                  > try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty
                  > drive (no
                  > partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.
                  >
                  > Then shut down the box and replace the drives again.
                  > You should then be
                  > able to fix the mess you made under EM.

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • Christopher Eykamp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005

                    When I had a similar symptom, I fixed it by removing my hard drive, putting it in my desktop, booting Knoppix or Trinity Rescue Kit from a CD, wiping the disk, reinserting it into the LS, then reinstalling the firmware.

                    It's kind of a pain, but by the time you do it for the third or fourth time, you kind of get the hang of it! �;-)

                    Best of luck,

                    Chris

                    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:14:24 -0800 (PST), Jose Quezada wrote:
                    >�thanks Frederick.��unfortunately i don't have an empty
                    >�drive laying around.��is there any other way to fix
                    >�this?
                    >
                    >�jq
                    >�--- Frederik Kunz <frederik.kunz@...>�wrote:
                    >
                    >>�Jose Quezada wrote:
                    >>>�so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up?��I don't
                    >>�care
                    >>>�about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                    >>>�possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind
                    >>�going
                    >>>�back to an initial state.
                    >>�try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty
                    >>�drive (no
                    >>�partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.
                    >>
                    >>�Then shut down the box and replace the drives again.
                    >>�You should then be
                    >>�able to fix the mess you made under EM.
                    >

                    >�����������
                    >�__________________________________
                    >�Do you Yahoo!?
                    >�Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn more.
                    >�http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                    >
                    >�Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >�To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    >
                    >�To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    >
                    >�Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  • Jose Quezada
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                      when i get home tonight i will give it one more shot
                      without having to open my ls. if i can't get it to
                      work, i'll bring the hd 2 my office and install it on
                      one of our windows box.

                      JQ

                      http://mail.yahoo.com