Pcast

  • simul8tr
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 30, 2005
      I have a Kuro HG box and have turned on the pcast menus from the cgi-
      bin directory. However I am missing all of the actual files that
      live in /etc/pcast

      I tried to extract them from the latest firmware updater but
      appartently the gz file which starts out as image.dat is encrtyped.
      Does anybody know the password or have the /etc/pcast files zipped
      up somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. I have a networked dvd
      player from IODATA that I think will play from the pcast.
      Thanks, snoots
    • chano22000
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005

        The 1.46 LS firmware brings the pcast media server (previous
        versions did not include the pcastd server iself, but only the skin).

        I understand that it allows compatible players (like IO-Data Link
        Player or Buffalo LinkTheater) to directly access media content on
        the LS.

        Can pcast be used (like Slimserver) without such dedicated devices
        from a workstation (Mac, Linux, Windows ...) and has this any
        interest ?

        Thanks for your understanding.

        PS
        (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
        interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
        the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
      • Gary Fesler

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
            I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
            present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
            stream the video data to my PC.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
            <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

            > (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
            > interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
            > the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
          • -/\-
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
              Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)

              "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
              message news:ctmhqq+d3ss@......

              > I get a web page at that port that displays the media that is
              > present in the configured folder. That said I can't get pcastd to
              > stream the video data to my PC.

              > "chano22000"
              > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
              >
              >> (I have parametrized the media folder through the LS web admin
              >> interface - pcastd is now running - configuration files refers to
              >> the port 8000 - http://LS_IP_Address:8000 does not give anything.)
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • stratmoens
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?

                Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
                that is outside of Japan.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                  I got it for 3 months now :)
                  http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

                  "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
                  message news:ctmjso+p8mt@......

                  > Where did you purchase the Linkplayer?
                  >
                  > Beyond the press releases I have never found a source for the unit,
                  > that is outside of Japan.

                  > "-/\\-"
                  > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                  >> Same here in IE but with the Linkplayer2 it works great ! :)
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • ortho_man
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
                    Hi all,

                    I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
                    the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play multimedia
                    content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
                    telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory to
                    get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision. My
                    question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP devices,
                    which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices like
                    Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
                    additional software on the machine.
                    Thanks for your help.

                    Jens

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
                    <gfesler@c...> wrote:
                    > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast directory
                    has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
                    directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info. Anybody
                    have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

                    Service.
                  • Frenchy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                      I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                      would find it on the network.
                      I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                      fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                      the righ port No.

                      I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                      install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                      Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                      to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                      The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                      thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                      I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                      Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                      that American software companies have offshored code development,
                      foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                      Fortunately competition has arrived with the $80 NSLU2 from Linksys
                      known for its trusted functionalities unlike half baked code from
                      Japan.

                      To that end I must add sincerely, the Buffalo US support team does a
                      great job being treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed
                      manure from their holding company). I have run in few support teams
                      that well tuned.

                      If you made it to this line, I can say that I am looking forward to
                      run the 1.46 Fwr, with Telnet and a Twonkyserver.

                      As always keep in mind:
                      "new software only means new bugs and more fixes to be found!"
                      sam.

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                      <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I understand that PCast is included in firmware 1.46 and it allows
                      > the IO Linkplayer2 and the LinkTheater to access and play
                      multimedia
                      > content that is stored on the Linkstation. I also understand that
                      > telnet is only enabled in firmware v.<1.46 and telnet is mandatory
                      > get root access and install a UPnP server like the twonkyvision.
                      My
                      > question is if PCast makes the Linkstation compliant to UPnP
                      devices,
                      > which means a PCast-enabled Linkstation would work with devices
                      like
                      > Philips Streamium/D-Link DSM 320 etc. without having to install
                      > additional software on the machine.
                      > Thanks for your help.
                      >
                      > Jens
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Fesler"
                      > <gfesler@c...> wrote:
                      > > I can start the daemon for pcast however the /etc/pcast
                      directory
                      > has a conf file and some other stuff missing. The pcast
                      > directory /etc/pcast/pcast has the skins and some page info.
                      Anybody
                      > have the /etc/pcast available as a complete zip or gz file ?

                    • Tim Lewis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                        Frenchy wrote:

                        > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                        > would find it on the network.
                        > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                        > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf" with
                        > the righ port No.

                        Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                        lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.

                        But something seems awry...

                        > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe to
                        > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.

                        Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                        > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the firmware
                        > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".

                        Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?

                        > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                        > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).

                        Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                        > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the Revogear
                        > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice! Now
                        > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                        > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)

                        HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!

                        /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.

                        :) :) :)

                        - Tim
                      • ortho_man
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > Frenchy wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                          > > would find it on the network.
                          > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                          > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                          with
                          > > the righ port No.
                          >
                          > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                          > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                          >
                          > But something seems awry...
                          >
                          > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                          > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                          >
                          > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                          >
                          > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                          firmware
                          > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                          >
                          > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                          >
                          > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                          > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                          >
                          > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                          >
                          > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                          Revogear
                          > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                          Now
                          > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                          > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                          >
                          > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                          >
                          > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                          >
                          > :) :) :)
                          >
                          > - Tim
                        • st0yan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 14 1:57 PM
                            Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                            is supposed to do:
                            http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                            Search for uPnP.
                            Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                            LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...

                            Cheers!
                            st0yan@...

                            <ortho_man@y...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Frenchy wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I don't think PCast is UPnP comliant. If it was my Netgear MP101
                            > > > would find it on the network.
                            > > > I have searched for PCast info but could not find any. I wish the
                            > > > fix was as simple as configuring the "/etc/pcast/pcastd.conf"
                            > with
                            > > > the righ port No.
                            > >
                            > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's going to
                            > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                            > >
                            > > But something seems awry...
                            > >
                            > > > I am going to prune PCrapst from the linux tree before its ripe
                            > > > install an *open*standard* Twonky server.
                            > >
                            > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...
                            > >
                            > > > Buffalo essentialy sold us a free GNU package, updated the
                            > firmware
                            > > > to remove Telnet access and turned on "PCAST".
                            > >
                            > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting at?
                            > >
                            > > > The Buffalo marketing cats have done a fine job at cornering us
                            > > > thinking we would buy their specialized gear($$).
                            > >
                            > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...
                            > >
                            > > > I hate to say ... but again it seems Buffalo is using the
                            > Revogear
                            > > > Kurobox fans to develop their new features for free- Not nice!
                            > Now
                            > > > that American software companies have offshored code development,
                            > > > foreign companies use US developers for free...(wize move)
                            > >
                            > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                            > >
                            > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                            > >
                            > > :) :) :)
                            > >
                            > > - Tim
                          • cliff_ainsworth
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 15 12:56 AM
                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "st0yan" <st0yan@y...>
                              wrote:

                              > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what
                              PCast
                              > is supposed to do:
                              > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                              > Search for uPnP.
                              > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                              > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                              >
                              > Cheers!

                              Has anyone confirmed if the uPnP functionality works on a Version 2
                              Unit?

                              I'm within my 7 day DSR grace period and think I'm going to return
                              my verion 1 unit

                              Thanks
                            • ortho_man
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 15 5:50 AM
                                Thanks for the link :-))

                                wrote:

                                > Check out the LinkTheater docs for some information about what PCast
                                > is supposed to do:
                                > http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LT-Manual-LOW-RES.pdf
                                > Search for uPnP.
                                > Pg. 41 has some info (nothing new) about the two versions of
                                > LinkStation. Pg. 42 claims that "the LinkStation supports uPnP"...
                                >
                                > Cheers!
                                > st0yan@y...
                                >
                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ortho_man"
                                > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
                                <spurp@c...>
                                > > wrote:

                                MP101
                                > > with
                                > > >
                                > > > Hmmm, Frenchy's post starts off normal enough. I bet he's
                                going to
                                > > > lay out a plan to fix the problem as per usual.
                                > > >
                                > > > But something seems awry...

                                > > > Woah, okay, he's working up to something...

                                > > firmware
                                > > >
                                > > > Alright, take it easy. Companies do that. What's he getting
                                at?

                                > > > Dood, it's alright, calm down! OH MY GHOD, here it comes...

                                > > Revogear
                                > > Now
                                > > >
                                > > > HOLY CRAP, DOOD!!!!!
                                > > >
                                > > > /me blushes and stops working on an open source project.
                                > > >
                                > > > :) :) :)
                                > > >
                                > > > - Tim
                              • st0yan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 15 10:42 AM
                                  Well, it does not say much anyway and I have not tried it since my
                                  unit has the older firmware. But if anyone has a definite answer on
                                  whether PCast supports uPnP, PLEASE let us know.

                                  st0yan