Re: [LinkStation_General] Rookie needs help hacking Linkstation via telnet

  • Paul Milligan (home)
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
      Firmware 1.45_13 was the last version which had telnet enabled. If you want to hack your box at 1.46 then you need to 'downgrade' to no more that 1.45_13, do the password fix, then do the fixes documented by stratmoens at  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/message/1060 then upgrade back to 1.46.

      It sounds painful, but it seems to be the only way.

      I will be gratefuly overjoyed if someone else responds saying "there is an easier way" :)

      scottnasello wrote:

      Hi,

      I have been following the wonderful instructions posted on this web
      site.  I want to eventually run slimserver for a squeezebox off of my
      160gb linkstation.

      I upgraded to 1.46 firmware yesterday

      I'm trying to telnet off my WinXP Home box

      when I type "open 192.168.0.6"

      telnet responds with: "Connecting To 192.168.0.6...Could not open
      connection to the host, on port 23:Connect failed"

      what am I doing wrong?  Is it a different port or something?

      any help will be excellent.

    • Zarrrsten
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
        where can i read about the password fix? i guess that´s the solution for my problem not getting on the linkstation via telnet. i get password incorrect all the time. operating system is win xp. firmware of ls is 1.45_13...

        thanks!

        zarrrsten

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
          If you go to:-   http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box
           The password fix is documented in the first section. There are other verions posted in various places in the forum, if that is not clear to you.

          Good Luck

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
            As far as I can tell the application itself wasn't present until
            1.46, thus turning it on in the web page only displays the
            configuration information.

            Does anyone know where the player will be sold when it is released?

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
            <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
            PCAST was already in
            > 1.45. It just needs to be turned on.
          • -/\-
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
              I-O Data Linkplayer2 is available for couple months now.... Virtually the
              same thing
              http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=459759&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
              $249

              "stratmoens" <strat012@...> wrote in
              message news:ctj43p+ia5l@......

              > As far as I can tell the application itself wasn't present until
              > 1.46, thus turning it on in the web page only displays the
              > configuration information.
              >
              > Does anyone know where the player will be sold when it is released?

              > "irvine_stock"
              > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
              > PCAST was already in
              >> 1.45. It just needs to be turned on.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • scottnasello
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
                I'm pleased to announce that I am able to telnet after downgrading
                from 1.46 to 1.45 - thanks for the help

                True to my rookie form, I need some more guidance...
                I have already created a new directory .../cgi-bin3
                I have already created a new script accesspass.sh...
                I created the script using VI, and my 2 rows are identitical to the
                help file

                where I'm stuck:
                the instructions say to open my script in my browser, eg:
                http://192.168.XX.xx/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh

                my browser responds with a dialog box:

                File Download
                filename: accesspass.sh
                from 192.168.XX.XX

                I can open, save, or cancel. If I try open, I don't have any program
                to run it (Windows XP box)

                What do I need to do here?
                thanks
              • Paul Milligan (home)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
                    cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                    #! /bin/sh
                    chmod 666 /etc/passwd

                    ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
                    bin3/accesspass.sh
                  • scottnasello
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
                      I think I got this sorted out.

                      ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                      -rwxr-xr-x- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
                      bin3/accesspass.sh

                      this corresponds with one of the help files

                      I have a new issue:

                      vi /etc/passwd returns (first couple of lines only):

                      etc/passwd: unmodified: line 1oot:/bin/bash
                      bin:*1:1:bin:/bin:
                      daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                      sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                      adm:*4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                      I do see my encrypted password, I just don't see the root encrypted
                      password. Any ideas what the issue is?

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
                      <trash@s...> wrote:

                      > cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                      > #! /bin/sh
                      > chmod 666 /etc/passwd
                      >
                      > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                      > -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
                      > bin3/accesspass.sh
                    • scottnasello
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
                        All is well, logged in as root. (Yippee) Please close this thread

                        thanks for all of the excellent assistance from all

                        thanks again for making my virgin adventure into Linux ok.

                        scott
                        <trash@s...> wrote:

                        > I think I got this sorted out.
                        >
                        > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                        > -rwxr-xr-x- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
                        > bin3/accesspass.sh
                        >
                        > this corresponds with one of the help files
                        >
                        > I have a new issue:
                        >
                        > vi /etc/passwd returns (first couple of lines only):
                        >
                        > etc/passwd: unmodified: line 1oot:/bin/bash
                        > bin:*1:1:bin:/bin:
                        > daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
                        > sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
                        > adm:*4:4:adm:/var/adm:
                        > I do see my encrypted password, I just don't see the root encrypted
                        > password. Any ideas what the issue is?
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
                        > <trash@s...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > cat /www.cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                        > > #! /bin/sh
                        > > chmod 666 /etc/passwd
                        > >
                        > > ls -l /www/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh returns:
                        > > -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 hdusers 33 Jan 30 18:19 /www/cgi-
                        > > bin3/accesspass.sh
                      • Jose Quezada
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 30, 2005
                          so i converted my ls to a kurobox. everything went
                          fine. but while i was untaring some of the binary
                          files (from the binary.zip from revogear), i ran out
                          of space. so i moved all the files from /usr to
                          /mnt/usr and then created a symbolic link /usr ->
                          /mnt/usr. this cleared up a bunch of space. i then
                          preceded to clean out some more space, except i
                          screwed up and deleted /etc, /sbin, and /usr. Now i
                          can't telnet, ftp, or ssh into my kuro-ified ls.

                          When i push in the little red button on the back, my
                          kuro-ls reboots, the link light flashes a few times
                          and then goes solid green. then my power light
                          flashes green for about 60 seconds and then both the
                          link and power lights go out. my diag light then goes
                          on, red, and continously flashes 6 times.

                          I went to
                          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=LedDescriptions
                          and found out that 6 red diag flashes means that
                          ppc_uartd isn't running or I'm missing some key files.
                          This makes sense being that i deleted /etc, /usr/ and
                          /sbin.

                          so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't care
                          about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                          possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind going
                          back to an initial state.

                          your help is greatly appreciated.

                          btw: i have a powerbook with virtual pc to work with.

                          JQ

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                        • Frederik Kunz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                            Jose Quezada wrote:
                            > so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't care
                            > about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                            > possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind going
                            > back to an initial state.
                            try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty drive (no
                            partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.

                            Then shut down the box and replace the drives again. You should then be
                            able to fix the mess you made under EM.
                          • Jose Quezada
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                              thanks Frederick. unfortunately i don't have an empty
                              drive laying around. is there any other way to fix
                              this?

                              jq
                              --- Frederik Kunz <frederik.kunz@...> wrote:

                              > Jose Quezada wrote:
                              > > so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up? I don't
                              > care
                              > > about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                              > > possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind
                              > going
                              > > back to an initial state.
                              > try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty
                              > drive (no
                              > partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.
                              >
                              > Then shut down the box and replace the drives again.
                              > You should then be
                              > able to fix the mess you made under EM.

                              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                            • Christopher Eykamp
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005

                                When I had a similar symptom, I fixed it by removing my hard drive, putting it in my desktop, booting Knoppix or Trinity Rescue Kit from a CD, wiping the disk, reinserting it into the LS, then reinstalling the firmware.

                                It's kind of a pain, but by the time you do it for the third or fourth time, you kind of get the hang of it! �;-)

                                Best of luck,

                                Chris

                                On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:14:24 -0800 (PST), Jose Quezada wrote:
                                >�thanks Frederick.��unfortunately i don't have an empty
                                >�drive laying around.��is there any other way to fix
                                >�this?
                                >
                                >�jq
                                >�--- Frederik Kunz <frederik.kunz@...>�wrote:
                                >
                                >>�Jose Quezada wrote:
                                >>>�so... how can i get my kuro-ls back up?��I don't
                                >>�care
                                >>>�about the data on the drive (i rather keep it if
                                >>>�possible, but i can do without), so i don't mind
                                >>�going
                                >>>�back to an initial state.
                                >>�try to replace the hard disk with a completely empty
                                >>�drive (no
                                >>�partitions). The kuro box should go straigt to EM.
                                >>
                                >>�Then shut down the box and replace the drives again.
                                >>�You should then be
                                >>�able to fix the mess you made under EM.
                                >

                                >�����������
                                >�__________________________________
                                >�Do you Yahoo!?
                                >�Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn more.
                                >�http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                >
                                >�Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >�To visit your group on the web, go to:
                                >
                                >�To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                >
                                >�Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                              • Jose Quezada
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                                  when i get home tonight i will give it one more shot
                                  without having to open my ls. if i can't get it to
                                  work, i'll bring the hd 2 my office and install it on
                                  one of our windows box.

                                  JQ

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com