Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Convert 1.45 to 1.46 without losing your custom setups / updates

  • Jose Quezada
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
      I just finished my kuro-box conversion. should i
      upgrade to 1.46? or is the kuro-box on a different
      upgrade schedule?

      JQ
      --- rd_montavon <rd_montavon@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc
      > Bizer <mbizer@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > On 1/27/05 at 12:12 AM +0000, rd_montavon wrote:
      > > >I have created a tar.gz file which contains all
      > the differences in
      > > >the 1.46_10 firmware, thus allowing you to update
      > without losing
      > you
      > > >updates / mods.
      > >
      > > One more question. The differences between 1.46_10
      > and which
      > earlier version?
      > >
      > > --Marc
      >
      > I was running 1.45-13 but should be fine with either
      > 1.44 or 1.45.
      >
      > using the tar.gz, all your settings are retained, on
      > the files that
      > were different in buffalos 1.46-10 will be
      > overwritten with the 1.46-
      > 10 versions. Your telnet and other customs setting
      > will be
      > retained. the kernel is the same between 1.44-1.46
      > so just
      > replacing the changed files is all you really need
      > to-do.

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • rd_montavon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
        wrote:
        > On 1/27/05 at 2:06 AM +0000, rd_montavon wrote:
        > >I was running 1.45-13 but should be fine with either 1.44 or 1.45.
        > >using the tar.gz, all your settings are retained, on the files
        that
        > >were different in buffalos 1.46-10 will be overwritten with the
        1.46-
        > >10 versions.
        >
        > I checked your tar archive, and it will install afpd and other
        > netatalk stuff. Have those really changed? In any case, it looks
        like
        > even if someone installs your differential 1.46-10 over a custom
        > netatalk 2 installation, it will revert that installation to
        netatalk
        > 1.6 :-(
        >
        > Another question. When one does a "firmware upgrade," what exactly
        is
        > changed in the flash ROMs?
        >
        > --Marc

        The tar file should have these atalk items:

        ./etc/init.d/atalk
        ./etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk
        ./etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K90atalk
        ./etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90atalk
        ./etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K90atalk
        ./usr/sbin/atalkd
        ./var/lock/atalkd

        just exclude them with the tar extract using --exclude={file as
        listed with -tf} can be entered multiple times.

        When I made the tar file I did a diff against a standard 1.45-13
        firmware update, and then a standard 1.46-10 firmware update, by,
        installing 1.45-13
        doing tar -cf /mnt/share/145-13.tar . --exclude=./mnt
        same process for installing next one,
        uncompressed the tar on standard unix system, ran diff, and the
        files in the tar are the files that were different between the two
        version, with the exception of the inetd in rd.d I took out since
        telnet is commented out in the file.

        I would susgest doing the same tar before untaring my image, just to
        be safe, that way you can put your image back. I cannot answer what
        is changed in the roms.
      • chano22000
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rd_montavon"
          <rd_montavon@r...> wrote:

          > I have created a tar.gz file which contains all the differences in
          > the 1.46_10 firmware ; in files area look for 146-10-d.tar.gz

          I am sorry but I can't find the file ...
        • rd_montavon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
            <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rd_montavon"
            > <rd_montavon@r...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have created a tar.gz file which contains all the differences
            in
            > > the 1.46_10 firmware ; in files area look for 146-10-d.tar.gz
            >
            > I am sorry but I can't find the file ...

            it was to big to post so its here:

            http://rdm-net.us/ls
          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 11, 2005

              I cannot find this file in the "Files" section anymore. Does anyone
              still have a copy I could get?

              Thanks,
              Daniel