[LinkStation_General] Re: Convert 1.45 to 1.46 without losing your custom setups / updates

  • Marc Bizer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
      On 1/27/05 at 2:06 AM +0000, rd_montavon wrote:
      >I was running 1.45-13 but should be fine with either 1.44 or 1.45.
      >using the tar.gz, all your settings are retained, on the files that
      >were different in buffalos 1.46-10 will be overwritten with the 1.46-
      >10 versions.

      I checked your tar archive, and it will install afpd and other
      netatalk stuff. Have those really changed? In any case, it looks like
      even if someone installs your differential 1.46-10 over a custom
      netatalk 2 installation, it will revert that installation to netatalk
      1.6 :-(

      Another question. When one does a "firmware upgrade," what exactly is
      changed in the flash ROMs?

      --Marc
    • Jose Quezada
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
        I just finished my kuro-box conversion. should i
        upgrade to 1.46? or is the kuro-box on a different
        upgrade schedule?

        JQ
        --- rd_montavon <rd_montavon@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc
        > Bizer <mbizer@m...>
        > wrote:
        > > On 1/27/05 at 12:12 AM +0000, rd_montavon wrote:
        > > >I have created a tar.gz file which contains all
        > the differences in
        > > >the 1.46_10 firmware, thus allowing you to update
        > without losing
        > you
        > > >updates / mods.
        > >
        > > One more question. The differences between 1.46_10
        > and which
        > earlier version?
        > >
        > > --Marc
        >
        > I was running 1.45-13 but should be fine with either
        > 1.44 or 1.45.
        >
        > using the tar.gz, all your settings are retained, on
        > the files that
        > were different in buffalos 1.46-10 will be
        > overwritten with the 1.46-
        > 10 versions. Your telnet and other customs setting
        > will be
        > retained. the kernel is the same between 1.44-1.46
        > so just
        > replacing the changed files is all you really need
        > to-do.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • rd_montavon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
          wrote:
          > On 1/27/05 at 2:06 AM +0000, rd_montavon wrote:
          > >I was running 1.45-13 but should be fine with either 1.44 or 1.45.
          > >using the tar.gz, all your settings are retained, on the files
          that
          > >were different in buffalos 1.46-10 will be overwritten with the
          1.46-
          > >10 versions.
          >
          > I checked your tar archive, and it will install afpd and other
          > netatalk stuff. Have those really changed? In any case, it looks
          like
          > even if someone installs your differential 1.46-10 over a custom
          > netatalk 2 installation, it will revert that installation to
          netatalk
          > 1.6 :-(
          >
          > Another question. When one does a "firmware upgrade," what exactly
          is
          > changed in the flash ROMs?
          >
          > --Marc

          The tar file should have these atalk items:

          ./etc/init.d/atalk
          ./etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk
          ./etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K90atalk
          ./etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90atalk
          ./etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K90atalk
          ./usr/sbin/atalkd
          ./var/lock/atalkd

          just exclude them with the tar extract using --exclude={file as
          listed with -tf} can be entered multiple times.

          When I made the tar file I did a diff against a standard 1.45-13
          firmware update, and then a standard 1.46-10 firmware update, by,
          installing 1.45-13
          doing tar -cf /mnt/share/145-13.tar . --exclude=./mnt
          same process for installing next one,
          uncompressed the tar on standard unix system, ran diff, and the
          files in the tar are the files that were different between the two
          version, with the exception of the inetd in rd.d I took out since
          telnet is commented out in the file.

          I would susgest doing the same tar before untaring my image, just to
          be safe, that way you can put your image back. I cannot answer what
          is changed in the roms.
        • chano22000
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rd_montavon"
            <rd_montavon@r...> wrote:

            > I have created a tar.gz file which contains all the differences in
            > the 1.46_10 firmware ; in files area look for 146-10-d.tar.gz

            I am sorry but I can't find the file ...
          • rd_montavon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
              <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rd_montavon"
              > <rd_montavon@r...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have created a tar.gz file which contains all the differences
              in
              > > the 1.46_10 firmware ; in files area look for 146-10-d.tar.gz
              >
              > I am sorry but I can't find the file ...

              it was to big to post so its here:

              http://rdm-net.us/ls
            • born_daniel
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 11, 2005

                I cannot find this file in the "Files" section anymore. Does anyone
                still have a copy I could get?

                Thanks,
                Daniel