Re: mt-daapd mini-howto

  • sneed_siding
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
      <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

      > If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may
      have
      > left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

      Thanks Thom. This worked great for me. The only thing I
      had to add was a link in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d (?) to start
      the daemon automatically on reboots.

      -Scott-
    • richone52
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
        Hi Tom

        I have tried to set up the linkstation but am kind of a newbie to
        this. Can you also provide me the command string for the symlink
        commands? I place my files and untared them to /mnt/opt and have
        new directories under /mnt/opt called bin, etc,lib,sbin,usr

        I created a new directory at root called /opt

        I download and untared zlib-1.2.1 and when into the directory and
        tried the ./configure and got many errors. (Most likely because of
        no symlink command.

        I know I don't know much but am trying to learn linux on the fly.

        Sorry for the stupid questions but any step by step help would be
        greatly appreciated. I want to eventually get byrequest loaded on
        the system and see if it can be a tivo server.

        Rich

        <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

        > If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may
        have
        > left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.
        >
        > mt-daapd on the Linkstation mini-howto:
        >
        > untar the Kurobox binaries need for compiling etc. You can
        download
        > them from www.revogear.com. I put them in /mnt/opt/binary and
        made
        > a symlink of /opt to /mnt/opt so as not to fill up the root
        > partition too much. The packages you need are all those related
        > programming:
        >
        > autoconf
        > automake
        > binutils
        > bison
        > flex
        > g++
        > gcc
        > gdb
        > glibc
        > libgdbm (this library is called by mt-daapd)
        > libstdc
        > m4
        > make
        > textutils
        >
        > deflate (gzip -d file.tar.gz) and then untar from / (tar
        > xvf /opt/binary file.tar) each one
        >
        > Now you should be able to compile, install, etc...
        >
        > Get zlib from http://freshmeat.net/redir/zlib/12352/url_tgz/zlib-
        > 1.2.1.tar.gz
        >
        > untar in /opt and change to /opt/zlib-1.2.1 then do:
        >
        > ./configure
        > make install
        >
        > Get libid3tag from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
        > group_id=12349
        >
        > untar in /opt and change to /opt/libid3tag-0.15b then do:
        >
        > ./configure
        > make install
        >
        > I used the Oct 10 nightly tarball of mt-daapd which works well
        with
        > my Soundbridge from http://www.pedde.com/mt-daapd
        >
        > untar in /opt and change to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010
        >
        > ./configure --enable-browse --enable-query --with-id3tag=/usr/local
        > make install
        >
        > cd to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010/contrib and edit mt-daapd.conf to
        > customize to your mp3 directory. I also change db_dir to /opt/mt-
        > daapd since /var is a ramdisk. I copied the admin-root directory
        > from /usr/local/share/mt-daapd to /opt/mt-daapd and changed web-
        root
        > in mt-daapd.conf. You can do the same with the playlist file.
        copy
        > mt-daapd.conf to /etc.
        >
        > The startup script was borrowed from the nslu2 folks:
        >
        > mt-daapd startup script in /etc/init.d:
        > #!/bin/sh
        >
        > # make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
        > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
        >
        > if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
        > killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
        > fi
        >
        > sleep 2
        > /usr/local/sbin/mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
        >

        > This will get it up and running, once it's scanned the library the
        > web interface should be up at:
        >
        > http://buffalo:3689
        >
        > If you do
        >
        > ps -aux | grep mt-daapd
        >
        > you should see about six instances of the daemon.
        >
        > If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if
        you
        > enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
        > output)
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
        > <gameon152001@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting
        up
        > mt-
        > > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
        > Apple
        > > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for
        > > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
        > > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out;
        but
        > > it sounds like you have... :-)
        > >
        > > TIA,
        > > Dick White
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
          A symlink is like a shortcut in windows - it doesn't make a
          duplicate of the file - just a pointer to it. The syntax is

          ln -s /existing/file/name /new/symlink

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "richone52"

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
            In /sbin is a program called mfdisk. I assumed it
            worked like the i386 Linux "fdisk" program. Instead
            it deleted the partition table and re-created only
            partition 1 & 2, leaving the large partition 3 entry
            empty, all without any warning or prompting.

            In my case, with my Debian running happily on the
            linkstation running simultaneously, I was able to hop
            over to it and apt-get "testdisk" which is a partition
            rescue utility, and get it back. Most people wouldn't
            have this luxury, so beware.

            http://mail.yahoo.com