Re: [LinkStation_General] Does the drive spin down?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

      >>> hdparm -S <seconds>
      >>>
      >>> Jim
      >>>
      >> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
      >> think
      >> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
      >> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
      >
      > Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
      > is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
      >
      > Jim

      Jim,

      Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the NSLU2?

      JR
    • Jim Buzbee
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
        On Oct 16, 2004, at 8:42 PM, James Ronald wrote:

        >>> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I
        >>> would
        >>> think
        >>> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds
        >>> but
        >>> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
        >>
        >> Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which
        >> process
        >> is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
        >>
        >> Jim
        >>
        > Jim,
        >
        > Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
        > NSLU2?

        Kuro Box.

        Jim

        > JR
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

          >> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
          >> NSLU2?
          >
          > Kuro Box.
          >
          > Jim

          Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
          Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

          JR
        • Jim Buzbee
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
            On Oct 16, 2004, at 9:14 PM, James Ronald wrote:

            >>> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
            >>> NSLU2?
            >>
            >> Kuro Box.
            >>
            >> Jim
            >>
            > Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
            > Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

            I'm not sure where I'm going with this box yet. I'm just checking it
            out for now. So far it seems to be a nice little unit!

            Jim

            > JR
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rick Flower
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
              If your Kuro doesn't spin down, that's a bit odd.. My Linkstation spins
              down all the time.. I can hear the drive spin up when I telnet to it
              (if I'm in the room where it lives).

              -- Rick