Re: [LinkStation_General] Does the drive spin down?

  • Jim Buzbee
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
      On Oct 16, 2004, at 7:54 PM, James Ronald wrote:

      >>> So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
      >>
      >> hdparm -S <seconds>
      >>
      >> Jim
      >>
      > Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
      > think
      > the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
      > rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.

      Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
      is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...

      Jim

      > Also, drive
      > automatically spins up quite quickly when accessed while in standby.
      >
      > JR
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

        >>> hdparm -S <seconds>
        >>>
        >>> Jim
        >>>
        >> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
        >> think
        >> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
        >> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
        >
        > Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
        > is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
        >
        > Jim

        Jim,

        Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the NSLU2?

        JR
      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
          On Oct 16, 2004, at 8:42 PM, James Ronald wrote:

          >>> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I
          >>> would
          >>> think
          >>> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds
          >>> but
          >>> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
          >>
          >> Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which
          >> process
          >> is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
          >>
          >> Jim
          >>
          > Jim,
          >
          > Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
          > NSLU2?

          Kuro Box.

          Jim

          > JR
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

            >> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
            >> NSLU2?
            >
            > Kuro Box.
            >
            > Jim

            Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
            Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

            JR
          • Jim Buzbee
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
              On Oct 16, 2004, at 9:14 PM, James Ronald wrote:

              >>> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
              >>> NSLU2?
              >>
              >> Kuro Box.
              >>
              >> Jim
              >>
              > Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
              > Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

              I'm not sure where I'm going with this box yet. I'm just checking it
              out for now. So far it seems to be a nice little unit!

              Jim

              > JR
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rick Flower
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                If your Kuro doesn't spin down, that's a bit odd.. My Linkstation spins
                down all the time.. I can hear the drive spin up when I telnet to it
                (if I'm in the room where it lives).

                -- Rick