Re: [LinkStation_General] Does the drive spin down?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
      > On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:25 PM, stokessd wrote:
      >

      >> I did a search and didn't get an answer.
      >>
      >> I have a Linksys NSLU2 (unslung) and one on my big complaints about
      >> it is that the drive never sleeps. Linux handles USB drives through
      >> the SCSI driver which doesn't have a provision for spin down.
      >>
      >> I just bought a Kuro box planning to replace the NSLU2 and one of the
      >> reasons is that I believe that the ide connection will provie a lot
      >> better transfer performance (which seems to be pretty bad on the
      >> NSLU2), and the ability to spin the drive down.
      >>
      >> So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
      >
      > hdparm -S <seconds>
      >
      > Jim

      Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would think
      the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
      rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off. Also, drive
      automatically spins up quite quickly when accessed while in standby.

      JR
    • Jim Buzbee
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
        On Oct 16, 2004, at 7:54 PM, James Ronald wrote:

        >>> So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
        >>
        >> hdparm -S <seconds>
        >>
        >> Jim
        >>
        > Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
        > think
        > the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
        > rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.

        Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
        is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...

        Jim

        > Also, drive
        > automatically spins up quite quickly when accessed while in standby.
        >
        > JR
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

          >>> hdparm -S <seconds>
          >>>
          >>> Jim
          >>>
          >> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
          >> think
          >> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
          >> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
          >
          > Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
          > is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
          >
          > Jim

          Jim,

          Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the NSLU2?

          JR
        • Jim Buzbee
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
            On Oct 16, 2004, at 8:42 PM, James Ronald wrote:

            >>> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I
            >>> would
            >>> think
            >>> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds
            >>> but
            >>> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
            >>
            >> Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which
            >> process
            >> is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
            >>
            >> Jim
            >>
            > Jim,
            >
            > Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
            > NSLU2?

            Kuro Box.

            Jim

            > JR
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

              >> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
              >> NSLU2?
              >
              > Kuro Box.
              >
              > Jim

              Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
              Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

              JR
            • Jim Buzbee
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                On Oct 16, 2004, at 9:14 PM, James Ronald wrote:

                >>> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
                >>> NSLU2?
                >>
                >> Kuro Box.
                >>
                >> Jim
                >>
                > Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
                > Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

                I'm not sure where I'm going with this box yet. I'm just checking it
                out for now. So far it seems to be a nice little unit!

                Jim

                > JR
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rick Flower
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                  If your Kuro doesn't spin down, that's a bit odd.. My Linkstation spins
                  down all the time.. I can hear the drive spin up when I telnet to it
                  (if I'm in the room where it lives).

                  -- Rick