Does the drive spin down?

  • stokessd
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
      I did a search and didn't get an answer.

      I have a Linksys NSLU2 (unslung) and one on my big complaints about
      it is that the drive never sleeps. Linux handles USB drives through
      the SCSI driver which doesn't have a provision for spin down.

      I just bought a Kuro box planning to replace the NSLU2 and one of the
      reasons is that I believe that the ide connection will provie a lot
      better transfer performance (which seems to be pretty bad on the
      NSLU2), and the ability to spin the drive down.

      So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?

      Sheldon
    • Stuart Stegall
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
        Hmmm ... my SCSI drives and Serial ATA drives all spin down. NSLU2 does
        not spin down for other reasons. My unslung box has been patched to
        stop all the access the drive every 30 minute crap. Also I cannot reach
        the same transfer rates on my LinkStation as I can on my NSLU2, at least
        network wise. Of course I am not overly concerned what my native
        transfer rates are as everything I am doing is pretty much performance
        limited by the network interface. I am able to do 11.4MB/s with the
        NSLU2 ... This is pretty good. My NFORCE2's network interface cannot do
        11.4 .. can only manage about 9.8MB/s. My LinkStation can only manage
        8.7MB/s. Mind you this is through netcat. Samba cannot manage this on
        either platform. I can get right about 7.5MB/s on both. My NFORCE2
        server can manage 8.0MB/s. (Of course this seems rather slow compared
        to the 110MB/s my real servers can transfer.)

        stokessd wrote:

        > I did a search and didn't get an answer.
        >
        > I have a Linksys NSLU2 (unslung) and one on my big complaints about
        > it is that the drive never sleeps. Linux handles USB drives through
        > the SCSI driver which doesn't have a provision for spin down.
        >
        > I just bought a Kuro box planning to replace the NSLU2 and one of the
        > reasons is that I believe that the ide connection will provie a lot
        > better transfer performance (which seems to be pretty bad on the
        > NSLU2), and the ability to spin the drive down.
        >
        > So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
        >
        > Sheldon

      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
          On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:25 PM, stokessd wrote:

          > I did a search and didn't get an answer.
          >
          > I have a Linksys NSLU2 (unslung) and one on my big complaints about
          > it is that the drive never sleeps. Linux handles USB drives through
          > the SCSI driver which doesn't have a provision for spin down.
          >
          > I just bought a Kuro box planning to replace the NSLU2 and one of the
          > reasons is that I believe that the ide connection will provie a lot
          > better transfer performance (which seems to be pretty bad on the
          > NSLU2), and the ability to spin the drive down.
          >
          > So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?

          hdparm -S <seconds>

          Jim

          > Sheldon
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
            > On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:25 PM, stokessd wrote:
            >

            >> I did a search and didn't get an answer.
            >>
            >> I have a Linksys NSLU2 (unslung) and one on my big complaints about
            >> it is that the drive never sleeps. Linux handles USB drives through
            >> the SCSI driver which doesn't have a provision for spin down.
            >>
            >> I just bought a Kuro box planning to replace the NSLU2 and one of the
            >> reasons is that I believe that the ide connection will provie a lot
            >> better transfer performance (which seems to be pretty bad on the
            >> NSLU2), and the ability to spin the drive down.
            >>
            >> So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
            >
            > hdparm -S <seconds>
            >
            > Jim

            Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would think
            the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
            rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off. Also, drive
            automatically spins up quite quickly when accessed while in standby.

            JR
          • Jim Buzbee
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
              On Oct 16, 2004, at 7:54 PM, James Ronald wrote:

              >>> So does anybody have an answer regarding the drive spinning down?
              >>
              >> hdparm -S <seconds>
              >>
              >> Jim
              >>
              > Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
              > think
              > the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
              > rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.

              Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
              is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...

              Jim

              > Also, drive
              > automatically spins up quite quickly when accessed while in standby.
              >
              > JR
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

                >>> hdparm -S <seconds>
                >>>
                >>> Jim
                >>>
                >> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I would
                >> think
                >> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds but
                >> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
                >
                > Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which process
                > is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
                >
                > Jim

                Jim,

                Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the NSLU2?

                JR
              • Jim Buzbee
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                  On Oct 16, 2004, at 8:42 PM, James Ronald wrote:

                  >>> Yes, hdparm -S <Value 0-255> works well on the LinkStation and I
                  >>> would
                  >>> think
                  >>> the Kuro Box as well. However the supplied value is not in seconds
                  >>> but
                  >>> rather increments of 5 seconds and 0 sets standby to Off.
                  >>
                  >> Yes, you're right. The issue for me now is tracking down which
                  >> process
                  >> is out there hitting the drive and keeping it from spinning down...
                  >>
                  >> Jim
                  >>
                  > Jim,
                  >
                  > Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
                  > NSLU2?

                  Kuro Box.

                  Jim

                  > JR
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James Ronald
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004

                    >> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
                    >> NSLU2?
                    >
                    > Kuro Box.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
                    Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

                    JR
                  • Jim Buzbee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                      On Oct 16, 2004, at 9:14 PM, James Ronald wrote:

                      >>> Do you also have a LinkStation/Kuro Box or are you discussing the
                      >>> NSLU2?
                      >>
                      >> Kuro Box.
                      >>
                      >> Jim
                      >>
                      > Cool, welcome aboard!! Are you planning Kuro Box type articles for Tom
                      > Hardware Guide similar to those you did for NSLU2?

                      I'm not sure where I'm going with this box yet. I'm just checking it
                      out for now. So far it seems to be a nice little unit!

                      Jim

                      > JR
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Rick Flower
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16, 2004
                        If your Kuro doesn't spin down, that's a bit odd.. My Linkstation spins
                        down all the time.. I can hear the drive spin up when I telnet to it
                        (if I'm in the room where it lives).

                        -- Rick