846Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Jan 4, 2005
      I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
      tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
      shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
      work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

      Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
      in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
      with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
      processes runing.

      I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

      > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
      > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
      >
      > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      > cd /usr/sbin/
      > mv smbd smbd.orignal
      > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
      > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
      >
      > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
      > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
      > services.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
      > <strat321@c...> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
      > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
      > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
      > table
      > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
      Specifically
      > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
      > >
      > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
      > LS
      > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
      > few
      > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
      the
      > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
      > >
      > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
      > > needed unicode running at this point.
      > >
      > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
      > and
      > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      > > > detail for me.
      > > >
      > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
      > form
      > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
      > over
      > > > the original samba?
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic