845Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Jan 4, 2005
      There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
      bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

      ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      cd /usr/sbin/
      mv smbd smbd.orignal
      mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
      mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

      I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
      Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
      services.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
      <strat321@c...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      >
      > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
      > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
      > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
      table
      > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
      > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
      >
      > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
      LS
      > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
      few
      > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
      > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
      >
      > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
      > needed unicode running at this point.
      >
      > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
      and
      > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      > > detail for me.
      > >
      > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
      form
      > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
      over
      > > the original samba?
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic