6834Re: LinkStation Quad - need to install 4 new drives - need help!

  • mcp1434
    Aug 28, 2010
      Dang,
      This morning I was able to reformat the original 250GB drives and created a new RAID-5 set. I guess I just needed as little patience.
      As soon as I can I will do the same with the 2TB drives.
      Thanks again,
      mcp

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Hai Nguyen Dang <danghai2k@...> wrote:

      > Hi mcp,
      > Search around for the Recovery packages for Linkstation Quad, then you can
      > get it setup from scratch (it supports 4 x 2TB HDD), remember that even this
      > model can run with HDD < 4, but it requires that you should have 4 HDD at
      > the moment reviving it.
      >
      > The unit ARM will try to get the kernel & init ramdisk from 192.168.11.1 for
      > ~ 4 seconds during boot up so you can revive it.
      >
      > If you're using Linkstation Quad, you can that Linkstation Quad format 1 new
      > HDD (take out 1 HDD from old Quad, boot it, go to Web Admin and format the
      > new HDD, shutdown the Quad, take out the new HDD and put the old HDD back to
      > your 8TB Quad - the new HDD now can boot from any Quad, you can boot it and
      > use it to format another 3 HDDs :). This trick only works if your 8TB are
      > running in Single disk mode (individual disks), it's in RAID, it won't work,
      > don't remove HDD or it will break your current RAID.
      >
      > Currently, I'm using 3 Linkstation Quad :), hope this helps.
      >
      > Thanks and rgds,
      > Dang Hai
      >
      > On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 7:08 AM, mcp1434 <mcp1434@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Greetings,
      > > I had purchased a new LS-QL/R5 1TB NAS, as i already have a 8TB model which
      > > I like, so i bought the 1TB with the intention to upgrade the drive
      > > capacity. Unfortunately I didn't do my research, and ended up blowing away
      > > the partitions on the included 250GB drives, and found out that my 4 1TB
      > > drives wouldn't do anything without the OS loaded on them, and that I should
      > > have changed drives one at a time.
      > > Of course, Buffalo will not provide advice as the warantee is voided.
      > >
      > > I have attached the NAS to my PC, and see that it only gets the
      > > 192.168.11.150 address for a limited time, then it is unreachable.
      > >
      > > Is there any hope to revive this NAS?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > mcp

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic