6832Re: [LinkStation_General] LinkStation Quad - need to install 4 new drives - need help!

  • Hai Nguyen Dang
    Aug 28, 2010
      Hi mcp,
      Search around for the Recovery packages for Linkstation Quad, then you can get it setup from scratch (it supports 4 x 2TB HDD), remember that even this model can run with HDD < 4, but it requires that you should have 4 HDD at the moment reviving it.

      The unit ARM will try to get the kernel & init ramdisk from 192.168.11.1 for ~ 4 seconds during boot up so you can revive it.

      If you're using Linkstation Quad, you can that Linkstation Quad format 1 new HDD (take out 1 HDD from old Quad, boot it, go to Web Admin and format the new HDD, shutdown the Quad, take out the new HDD and put the old HDD back to your 8TB Quad - the new HDD now can boot from any Quad, you can boot it and use it to format another 3 HDDs :). This trick only works if your 8TB are running in Single disk mode (individual disks), it's in RAID, it won't work, don't remove HDD or it will break your current RAID.

      Currently, I'm using 3 Linkstation Quad :), hope this helps.

      Thanks and rgds,
      Dang Hai

      On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 7:08 AM, mcp1434 <mcp1434@...> wrote:

      Greetings,
      I had purchased a new LS-QL/R5 1TB NAS, as i already have a 8TB model which I like, so i bought the 1TB with the intention to upgrade the drive capacity. Unfortunately I didn't do my research, and ended up blowing away the partitions on the included 250GB drives, and found out that my 4 1TB drives wouldn't do anything without the OS loaded on them, and that I should have changed drives one at a time.
      Of course, Buffalo will not provide advice as the warantee is voided.

      I have attached the NAS to my PC, and see that it only gets the 192.168.11.150 address for a limited time, then it is unreachable.

      Is there any hope to revive this NAS?

      Thanks,
      mcp

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic