6572Re: LinkStation and Online Backups

  • musikgoat
    Nov 26, 2008
      Hello, I've read and gotten feedback from friends about JungleDisk,
      which is a software that interacts with Amazon's S3 to transfer
      encrypted backups. I haven't verified that it supports compression,
      but likely it would.

      I do know that the company supports linux, and that there is a 30 day
      trial, and the software costs USD20.

      Look into that, as it seems to be a good solution for your situation.

      -Tim

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
      <amitwahi@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Thanks!
      >
      > Sorry I didnt explain it clearly enough but I was actually thinking
      > more along the lines of the LinkStation achieving the compressed,
      > encrypted, bandwidth conscious remote backup on a standalone basis.
      >
      > The method you describe will require the Elephant Drive s/w running
      > off another computer and the LinkStation mapped to it.
      >
      > An obvious solution to what I'm wanting to do is running duplicity
      on
      > the LinkStation and backing up via ftp / rsync to a web/ ftp server
      or
      > to S3. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just using
      rsync
      > on the LinkStation?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Alan N" <amnast@>
      wrote:

      > > I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to
      back
      > > up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3,
      and
      > > has worked well doing exactly what you describe.
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
      > > <amitwahi@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi All,
      > > >
      > > > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
      > > from a
      > > > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions
      (either a
      > > > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
      > > >
      > > > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some
      of
      > > the
      > > > data to sit out there on the cloud.
      > > >
      > > > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
      > > compressed
      > > > and only newer data or files that have changed should be
      transfered.

      > > > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
      > > appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic