6571Re: LinkStation and Online Backups

  • aeroknight
    Nov 25, 2008
      Hi, Thanks!

      Sorry I didnt explain it clearly enough but I was actually thinking
      more along the lines of the LinkStation achieving the compressed,
      encrypted, bandwidth conscious remote backup on a standalone basis.

      The method you describe will require the Elephant Drive s/w running
      off another computer and the LinkStation mapped to it.

      An obvious solution to what I'm wanting to do is running duplicity on
      the LinkStation and backing up via ftp / rsync to a web/ ftp server or
      to S3. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just using rsync
      on the LinkStation?

      Thanks

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Alan N" <amnast@...> wrote:

      > I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to back
      > up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3, and
      > has worked well doing exactly what you describe.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
      > <amitwahi@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
      > from a
      > > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
      > > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
      > >
      > > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of
      > the
      > > data to sit out there on the cloud.
      > >
      > > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
      > compressed
      > > and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
      > appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic